Sign in to follow this  

96 WR250 base gasket leak after rebuild

This weekend I just did a top end rebuild. 

After I bolted the bike back together, I added coolant and seem to have a base gasket coolant leak at the front if the jug under the expansion chamber. 

Everything was torqued to spec, gasket is paper aftermarket. 

Should I tear apart the whole thing, shim the head temporarily and apply some copper gasket sealant? Remove completely and use a different gasket? Heat cycle it as is for break in, and check torque specs and see if it stops?

Once I figure this out she's going up for sale i think, as I just got a WR450F, but I'm not wanting to sell something with an issue, regardless how minor. 

Get a new OEM gasket.  Make sure both mating surfaces are clean, smooth and free of old gasket material.  Also check the dowel pins for corrosion to make sure they are not binding anything up.  Torque to spec using the method in the manual.  If you have a leak something is wrong.  Heat cycling will not do anything but more likely cause more issues.

• Like 1

I am half interested  in that plated 96 wr250   logistics of shipping and cost would be the major issues. if you are interested on getting rid of it  here