Long time lurker, first post :)I have a 1998 yz250 that seems like the clutch won't disengage. I can start the bike in neutral but not with the clutch lever pulled in. If the bike is running, as soon as I pull in the clutch the bike stalls like it's in gear. The clutch pull doesn't feel really soft but not super stiff either. Bike seems to shift gears easily enough when off and pulling clutch in. I am thinking maybe the issue is with a grooved basket/inner hub, but I want to confirm this before I throw parts at it. Here is a pic of the basket/ hub. They don't seem THAT bad but looking for some other input. Also I wanted to know if the clutch basket nut is reverse threaded or not before I try to remove it. Thanks in advance!

Tldr: bike stalls trying to go into gear, won't start with clutch held in. Is the problem grooved clutch basket? Also is clutch basket nut reverse threaded?

20170504_210225.jpg

20170504_210216.jpg

You only posted pictures of the inner hub. Most of the time the basket is the problem. Just the weekend my brother tested replacing a washer in the clutch pressure plate where the pusher and bearing ride. This doubled the air gap when the clutch was in. Now is 01 RM250 can be started in gear. We are also running belray gear saver trans oil. If someone put a conventional oil in the gear box the extra viscosity can cause clutch drag. Also warped steels can cause some issues also.

Left loose on the nut! Take a flat file to those grooves, there not terrible for sure but can be an issue. Also heavy trans oil will cause a little drag at low rpm's. A wore out cable will also give a little stretch and not pull far enough or as was said that washer if wore will cause issue or the push rod if worn will cause issues. Adjust your lever to take out any excess play

The clutch cable is brand new and it is adjusted so there is pretty much no play. The keeper down by the engine casing that holds one end of the cable is a little bent, but not enough to cause any issues. I am going to replace that washer because it looks like it has wear on it and it's cheap. The oil used was the reccomended yamaha viscosity (can't remember). And yes the bike stalls in neutral when I pull in the clutch. This leads me to believe that the cable and push rod and everything works because it does something when I pull the lever in.

Thanks for all the info so far, greatly appreciated!

Well it might not be your case but I have seen bikes that have been stored for a while having the clutch plates kind of fused together until the bike warms up and the clutch goes back to normal.