I have a 2015 WR450F that I would like to outfit a Pelican 1150 box to a Pro Moto rack. My goal is to take the weight out of my pack and carry a hammock, suspension straps, GSI Minimalist pot, and a Vargo Hexagon stove for some back country rides. 

All the gear fits in the case but I'm trying to decide how to mount it to the rack. 

My initial thought is to use four 3/4" bolts with washers to pin the case against the rack to keep things looking clean and simple as opposed to strapping the case to the rack and needing to re-attach every time I need to get into the case. 

Wondering in you have any other ideas for attachment before I start drilling into the Pelican case?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

IMG_0340.JPG

I'd drill and tap the rack, then drill the box for four bolts and mount it to the rack. That is more or less how I attached a bag on a Pro Moto rack I have. Since I have a soft bag, I made a large exterior alloy plate and then made another that fit inside my bag. I then bolts the ntwo together to 'sandwich' the bag. You can skip all this because you have a solid bag/base to begin with.

DRZ400SMTailBag07InsidePlate.jpg

DRZ400SMTailBag01SmallSide.jpg

DRZ400SMTailBag04TallBack.jpg

DRZ400SMTailBag01Bolts.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LRB said:

I have a 2015 WR450F that I would like to outfit a Pelican 1150 box to a Pro Moto rack. My goal is to take the weight out of my pack and carry a hammock, suspension straps, GSI Minimalist pot, and a Vargo Hexagon stove for some back country rides. 

All the gear fits in the case but I'm trying to decide how to mount it to the rack. 

My initial thought is to use four 3/4" bolts with washers to pin the case against the rack to keep things looking clean and simple as opposed to strapping the case to the rack and needing to re-attach every time I need to get into the case. 

Wondering in you have any other ideas for attachment before I start drilling into the Pelican case?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

IMG_0340.JPG

IMO it looks like the rack and case are almost made for and would be fine with 2 cut down ratchet straps but I would get a piece of 1/2" think high density foam, cut to size and put under the case so it won't move on the rack. Then fill the case and go for some short test rides.

• Like 1

Ok, so I decided to take advantage of the existing pre-drilled holes in my rack and use those to mount my box. But after looking at the 1150 case, it was just a tad too small to take advantage of the pre-drilled holes in the rack so I upgraded to the Pelican 1200 case which is just a little bigger. 

Because this isn't exactly made for the rack, I had to modify the round feet on the box by cutting two notches out with my Dremel tool to allow the box to sit level on the rack. In the picture below, notice the silver rings that the rack sits over. These are where I had to notch out the box slightly. Aside from that, all I had to do was drill four holes to mount to the rack. 

When attaching to the rack, I decided to use some rubber washers from the plumbing department to act as bushings between the box and rack and I also used these inside the box to help improve water resistance. 

I will post pics of the box on my bike once the light is better but hopefully this gives you some ideas if you wanted to do something similar. 

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

Edited by LRB

Here is the end product. 

Hopefully works out alright. 

IMG_0360.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LRB said:

Here is the end product. 

Hopefully works out alright. 

IMG_0360.JPG

Nice job using rubber between the box and rack to reduce vibration as well as the rubber washers inside to prevent water leaks. Did you test them with a hose and might not be an issue considering they are on the bottom BUT if you plan on keeping something really dry in the box, I'd test just cus.

• Like 1

Thanks!

So far I have not tested it for waterproofing (just need the time), but I don't anticipate taking anything of high value that can't get wet aside from a GPS with me, so I may just put things in a small sealed bag to be extra safe if needed. 

Im guessing that a small amount of moisture may get in if water hits it just right, but I don't anticipate a whole lot of moisture given the rear fender should shield it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LRB said:

Thanks!

So far I have not tested it for waterproofing (just need the time), but I don't anticipate taking anything of high value that can't get wet aside from a GPS with me, so I may just put things in a small sealed bag to be extra safe if needed. 

Im guessing that a small amount of moisture may get in if water hits it just right, but I don't anticipate a whole lot of moisture given the rear fender should shield it. 

The only reason I mentioned the waterproofing is the box is a VERY nice waterproof box and is now slightly compromised with the bolts and partly why I originally mentioned using racket straps. Then the racket straps allow you to quickly put it on/take it off if needed BUT all that really depends on what YOU are using it for so if you are good with the set-up then NP.

One thing I might mention is that if you plan on leaving the box mounted full time or regardless, is if the nuts are not self locking, either replace with self locking or add lock washers and some red anti-seize on the bolts cus obviously you do NOT want to loose the hardware/box on the trail.

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

Good call on the locking washers. 

I haven't decided if this'll be a permanent fixture or not. But if it becomes permanent, I'll absolutely add locking washers. 

• Like 1

Thought I'd better post an update. 

Ive been toting around with this setup for a few weeks now and so far am happy with it. 

The height of the box is good and I can swing my leg over with no issue. The rubber washers seem to have helped keep the water out and vibrations down. 

The only unique aspect to this that I did not expect is that it creates a whistle at certain speeds when the air flow hits it just right. It's not very noticeable but when you are very familiar with how your bike normally sounds, it's a little disconcerting until you realize where the sound is coming from. 

The only change I'd make is that a larger box may be in order if you want to carry more in the box. 

Speaking of which, here is what I carried:

Eno Double Nest Hammock

Atlas Straps

Vargo Hexagon Stove

GSI Minimalist pot with rice and sausage stored inside. 

Leatherman OHT 

If anything, I hope this gives someone some ideas on how to pack their gear better for some back country adventures. I'm sure there are other options but this has worked for me thus far. 

Happy trails!

IMG_0456.JPG

Edited by LRB
  • Like 2

So far I've taken this new set up on several really rocky / bumpy trails and haven't had to tighten the bolts down. The only criticism I have this far is that I didn't get a bigger box to carry more crap lol. 

Took it hunting yesterday. Great day on the mountain!

IMG_0515.PNG

• Like 1

Thought I’d update on this thread:

its been quite some time since I installed this box and I haven’t had to re-tighten the bolts at all. 

So far it’s holding up very well, even with a few crashes. 

My only complaint is that I wish it were larger. But that’s easily fixed. 

Everything stays dry and clean which is a huge plus. 

• Like 1

Oh! @filterx, you asked about water proofing. 

Thus far, zero issues with water getting in. I forgot to pull my hammock out when washing off at the car wash and it didn’t have any moisture on it when I realized it was still in there. 

A little over a week ago I rode up a shallow stream (maybe 100 yards) and everything was still dry. 

Fingers crossed it keeps up!

Edited by LRB
  • Like 2