Bib technology

First ride is a bitch, but once you get that flat feeling, it's real nice

Rick there are only a handful of bib foam makers in the world shared by most everyone. Same with tires.  This one being made/sourced in Europe suggests it might be the same foam molder used by others in that part of the world with some cut outs put into it.  Many tire makers design/collaborate with the factories but do not actually make tires or tubes or bibs. It would be interesting to know if Gibson is a logo...  or a tyre and/or mousse factory ?

GT has a similar thing going on with cut out bands and holes in their X-mousse.  It works...  but it reduces life over no bands & holes because you have fewer foam cells doing the work.  And the product is expensive compared to the cheapy Michelin.

Type of lube is a huge factor in mousse life.  Tacky silicone lube makes all brands last longer than the Murphy's Tire Paste type lubes many guys use.  Tire paste's advantage is that it is water soluble for easy cleanup and cheap.  But bringing water based lube into it is also a negative as it adds to spoke corrosion and dries up so you lose your lubrication and friction/heat kill the mousse faster.   

I really think if you use the mousse you like best...  and break out your hot knife and hole saw and start carving grooves in it you will improve the ride.  It will never be a Tubliss.  But if 100% flat protection is your priority...  and the added cost does not bother you...  start drilling holes and cutting bands to achieve the feel you want.  Use a tacky silicone lube to get the best life you can. The kind of riding you do should allow longer life than a desert racer anyway.

Everything's a compromise...  and nothing is a miracle.  

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 3

Rick there are only a handful of bib foam makers in the world shared by most everyone. Same with tires.  This one being made/sourced in Europe suggests it might be the same foam molder used by others in that part of the world with some cut outs put into it.  Many tire makers design/collaborate with the factories but do not actually make tires or tubes or bibs. It would be interesting to know if Gibson is a logo...  or a tyre and/or mousse factory ?
GT has a similar thing going on with cut out bands and holes in their X-mousse.  It works...  but it reduces life over no bands & holes because you have fewer foam cells doing the work.  And the product is expensive compared to the cheapy Michelin.
Type of lube is a huge factor in mousse life.  Tacky silicone lube makes all brands last longer than the Murphy's Tire Paste type lubes many guys use.  Tire paste's advantage is that it is water soluble for easy cleanup and cheap.  But bringing water based lube into it is also a negative as it adds to spoke corrosion and dries up so you lose your lubrication and friction/heat kill the mousse faster.   
I really think if you use the mousse you like best...  and break out your hot knife and hole saw and start carving grooves in it you will improve the ride.  It will never be a Tubliss.  But if 100% flat protection is your priority...  and the added cost does not bother you...  start drilling holes and cutting bands to achieve the feel you want.  Use a tacky silicone lube to get the best life you can. The kind of riding you do should allow longer life than a desert racer anyway.
Everything's a compromise...  and nothing is a miracle.  

Good info Jeff. The Gibson has the grooves, it is also hollow.

Being hollow would definitely make it more user friendly in most of the stuff I like to ride. The longevity part doesn't make much sense to me.

Despite not believing the advertisements, I'd still try it once.

• Like 1

First ride is a bitch, but once you get that flat feeling, it's real nice

I got about 12 hours on it now, pretty sure I am going to take it off the 300 and put it on the 500 for a few tires.
Any idea what they run price wise ?

Haven't found a vendor yet.

What we need is a traction adjustable variable effective psi flat proof system.  I know one company working on such a thing...  but until it's here it's just talk. 

• Like 1

ive considered trying bibs out and wondered if taking the hot knife to cut a flat band from the outside edge would be possible without destroying it.

this was before i watched bombardier ride for 4 days straight in jawbone on a multiple punctured m5b while using tubliss.

after that, i kind of just see bibs for the rear as an unnecessary "disadvantage" for the sole purpose of avoiding a puncture that results in a flat, which is how we ride our rear tires anyway.

id probably run one in the front though.

• Like 2

ive considered trying bibs out and wondered if taking the hot knife to cut a flat band from the outside edge would be possible without destroying it.
this was before i watched bombardier ride for 4 days straight in jawbone on a multiple punctured m5b while using tubliss.
after that, i kind of just see bibs for the rear as an unnecessary "disadvantage" for the sole purpose of avoiding a puncture that results in a flat, which is how we ride our rear tires anyway.

I like it best around 8lbs. Pretty sure a worn bib can get me there. It's pure punishment getting there though.

5 minutes ago, TheW0LF said:

i kind of just see bibs for the rear as an unnecessary "disadvantage" for the sole purpose of avoiding a puncture that results in a flat, which is how we ride our rear tires anyway.

Bib front & Tubliss rear seems to be a very popular way to go for a LOT of GNAR riding fellers all over the country. I don't think you can beat the traction advantages of a low psi Tubliss set up in the slower speed stuff.  Guys that race or run faster speeds and would run more psi  in the rear anyway seem to favor bibs especially when racing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Anvil said:

I like it best around 8lbs. Pretty sure a worn bib can get me there. It's pure punishment getting there though.

8psi cold?

being able to adjust psi is a nice luxury to have though.

15 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Bib front & Tubliss rear seems to be a very popular way to go for a LOT of GNAR riding fellers all over the country. I don't think you can beat the traction advantages of a low psi Tubliss set up in the slower speed stuff.  Guys that race or run faster speeds and would run more psi  in the rear anyway seem to favor bibs especially when racing. 

makes sense.

1 hour ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Bingo.....we have a winner!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Anvil said:

I started using bibs again, and as expected I'm not real happy with them. I know it's going to take awhile to get it to soften. The tire feels like I got 50 psi. I vowed to never try them again, then I see this.

http://gibsontyretech.co.uk/show/products/GIB%20MOUTECH-%20SPEEDY%20MOUSSE

Tire balls man! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Anvil said:

Good info Jeff. The Gibson has the grooves, it is also hollow.

Being hollow would definitely make it more user friendly in most of the stuff I like to ride. The longevity part doesn't make much sense to me.

Despite not believing the advertisements, I'd still try it once.

They are used up here (the Gibson Mousse), guys aren't getting much more then a single race out of them but the traction is unbelievable. The guys around here seem to be horny for the Kenda Ibex and showing good results when paired... But durability isn't at the top of the list... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Anvil said:

I was very scared to google that, however it ended well.

https://www.tireballs.com/collections/motorcycle/products/off-road-pro-large-18-120130140-18-rear-kit-30-balls

How long does this 200 dollar set up last!?!?!?

They claim years... More expensive buy in but if you can get years on them vs a season at most on a mousse, who can complain? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Anvil said:

How long does this 200 dollar set up last!?!?!?

just like its not the bike, its not the balls.

at least not those balls.

• Like 1

just like its not the bike, its not the balls.
at least not those balls.

Have you tried the balls?