99 YZ 250 Lost 5th gear

So I lost 5th gear the other night.  I did have an oil leak, which I have since fixed.  My chain balled up around the case and put a hole in it and bent the shift shaft.  I ordered a new shaft and seal and plan to also replace the crank seals while I am in there.  

I've attached a couple of pics of the shaft.  My two main questions, 1) do I need to split the cases and delve into the tranny issue while I have it partially torn apart or will the 5th gear issue get fixed simply by replacing the shaft? and 2) what's the best way to get the shaft out?  I'm thinking I'll need to cut it off prior to pulling it, I don't think the shaft will come out because of the bend. . . .

Thanks guys!

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

Well, I got the shaft cut off and the ignition side crank seal replaced.  Tomorrow or the next day will do the other side.  Still would like any input on whether I can hope that 5th gear returns once the shaft it reinstalled.  Any thoughts?  Am I just wishful thinking?  I would definitely do it tomorrow, but realized I didn't get the correct gasket, I also need the clutch holding tool, unless someone has a work around for that?  I was able to get the fly wheel on and off without one. . . .