2016 drz400sm gearing change

Just thought I'd report to you guys on my recent gearing change experience. Bought the bike brand new with the stock 15 41 gearing. Bike is still stock, no jetting, stock carb, no 3x3 yet. Kinda buzzy past 70mph, topped out at about 99.  Recently changed the gearing to 15 39. Cruises nicely at about 75, tops out at 103. All speeds are indicated speeds. About a +4mph difference on indicated speed vs actual speed. there is a slight torque difference between the two gearings. 15 39 makes 1st gear clutch-ups easily controllable, but makes 2nd gear wheelies harder, need to really slide back on the seat to pop it up (I'm a wheelie noob btw.) Before anyone gets their hopes up too high, all of these speeds have a lot to do with me weighing 155lbs. I don't see a lot of people mention it, but your personal weight is a big factor in how the bike performs with speed and torque. Despite the bike cruising nice on the freeway now, it's just not fun to do so due to the aerodynamics of the bike. Completely doable, but a little annoying with the wind shaking you and buffeting when you're behing vehicles, especially trucks. Not scary or badly taxing, just annoying and not fun. So I'm thinking, since I don't really enjoy the freeway, maybe going 15 43 for better torque, wheelies,  and dirt rideabilty. Would this be good gearing for strictly backroads/city/and dirt riding. I see why the stock is 15 41. Best all around with sacrifices in each direction. Pretty much dead middle of the spectrum. Can do dirt and highway but not great at either. But uf In not ever going to ride freeway at all 15 41 seems pointless and 43/44 seems better. Does this sound accurate? This is all on 17s btw. I realize 47 rear sprocket might be better for the 21 18 rim setup. 

Edited by 73N5H1

I hear you. this is my daily commuter, so I try to take it easy, but by no means baby her ? I've had her for a little over 3 months now. Bought her new and have about 3500 miles on her now. 

I prefer changing the rear sprocket. No messing with loctite and such and I've still yet to pick up a socket to remove the front sprocket, though I will soon simply for the loctite fix on the counter sprocket. Once I loctite the splines, I don't wanna mess with it again until it needs replaced. 

I am currently running 15/44 in SM trim, I am really thinking of trying a 41t out back as I am doing more longer distance riding.

I would then take the 44T and replace the 47T on the dirt trim, I love the 47T offroad however all the dirt is a good ways away lol so going back to "stock" gearing should allow me to "cruise" easier.

Not all of us have the spare cash lying around to do that immediately. A $20 sprocket is a nice temporary substitution to get the bike in the power range that meets your current needs. As I said, I commute daily on mine so spare me the arrogance. A full MRD, FCR and 3x3 are in the future (especially with how the Mikuni bogs at WOT) but my pockets aren't very deep so it'll have to wait. 

Not all of us have the spare cash lying around to do that immediately. A $20 sprocket is a nice temporary substitution to get the bike in the power range that meets your current needs. As I said, I commute daily on mine so spare me the arrogance. A full MRD, FCR and 3x3 are in the future (especially with how the Mikuni bogs at WOT) but my pockets aren't very deep so it'll have to wait. 

You bought a brand new bike and can't afford to do a free 3x3 mod and buy a few dollars worth of jets?

The bike is gutless with stock jetting. If you do the above it will not only run better/stronger, it will run cooler as well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

You bought a brand new bike and can't afford to do a free 3x3 mod and buy a few dollars worth of jets?

The bike is gutless with stock jetting. If you do the above it will not only run better/stronger, it will run cooler as well.

Yes, bought a brand new bike and that's WHY I don't have the money. I realize a jet kit is only about $70 - $80, but I don't see the point in spending that right now and &%$#@!ing with removing and rejetting the carb when I'm just going to replace it in a few months anyways. 

17 hours ago, 38super said:

15/39 is a good commuting / frwy ratio.  You can actually cross an intersection before shifting.  JT makes good steel sprockets. 

Yeah, the 39T I got is a JT. Seems well made. I'm thinking of picking up a 44T and playing around with it for offroad and wheelie fun. 

• Like 1

Yes, bought a brand new bike and that's WHY I don't have the money. I realize a jet kit is only about $70 - $80, but I don't see the point in spending that right now and &%$#@!ing with removing and rejetting the carb when I'm just going to replace it in a few months anyways. 

At least you have your priorities in order.