yz250fx upgrades

Hi Guys,

Happy 4th!

I just picked up a new 2017 yz250fx. I am fairly new to dirt bikes, mainly ride street. I plan on riding mostly trails but would like to try mx once my skills improve.

I am planning on the following upgrades. Please let me know if there is anything else I should focus on upgrading or if there are other manufacturers you would recommend instead of what is listed below or if you don't think any of the planned upgrades are necessary.

Thanks in advance.

FMF Q4 HEX S/A slipon

Works Connection Hour Meter

Motion Pro Micro Fork Bleeder

Works Connection Full Coverage Skid Plate with RIMS

Works Connection Aluminum Radiator Braces

Bullet Proof Designs Rear Disc Guard

Acerbis X-Brake Front Disc Cover

Acerbis X-Factory Handguards

I wouldn't bother with the slip on exhaust. The stock muffler is very good and durable. 

I would however look at a different chain guide as I have broken the chain guide welds on the swing arm a couple of times. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

I wouldn't bother with the slip on exhaust. The stock muffler is very good and durable. 

I would however look at a different chain guide as I have broken the chain guide welds on the swing arm a couple of times. 

Agree on the chain guide, the stocker bends easily. 

Stock FX muffler doesn't have a spark arrestor, so either have to buy a USDF approved cap or an approved slip on. I put the Q4 on mine because the caps are overpriced and I want the most quiet exhaust possible (keeps complaints down and trails open). 

13 hours ago, devnull said:

Hi Guys,

Happy 4th!

I just picked up a new 2017 yz250fx. I am fairly new to dirt bikes, mainly ride street. I plan on riding mostly trails but would like to try mx once my skills improve.

I am planning on the following upgrades. Please let me know if there is anything else I should focus on upgrading or if there are other manufacturers you would recommend instead of what is listed below or if you don't think any of the planned upgrades are necessary.

Thanks in advance.

FMF Q4 HEX S/A slipon

Works Connection Hour Meter

Motion Pro Micro Fork Bleeder

Works Connection Full Coverage Skid Plate with RIMS

Works Connection Aluminum Radiator Braces

Bullet Proof Designs Rear Disc Guard

Acerbis X-Brake Front Disc Cover

Acerbis X-Factory Handguards

IMO, the most important thing not on the list is lowering the rear. I found the bike to handle like complete shit with that stinkbug high rear - it just won't turn. Lowering link, internal lowering or subframe lowering. Whatever suits your budget. I went with PC link and it completely transformed the bike. More stable and turns drastically better. Of course, ride it first though. Some people have no complaints at stock height. 

I wouldn't put those Motion Pro bleeders on any bike. I've seen them fail and trap air multiple times. Had a couple buddies take their bikes in complaining about suspension being harsh. When the motion pros were removed they shot up and hit the ceiling from all the pressure built up. Junk!

Edited by Kosmic
  • Like 2

I agree ditch the fork bleeders. They cause more harm than good. Also for an exhaust with a spark arrestor I would look at DRD. Great exhaust for the money!

• Like 1

Ditch the hour meter and put the money toward a tuner. You can map it for conditions and use it to track hours.

I bought the Acerbis front disc cover, and now have the Enduro Engineering unit. If you ride in any sort of rock, it's a far superior unit.

I have the fork bleeders and they've been fine for 145 hours so far. *knock on wood*

I also strongly suggest (like above) to get a TMD chain guide. A hit on the solid aluminum one broke the (sh*tty) welds on my swingarm and put me half an hour down in a race. I now keep a spare swingarm around for the next time it happens (because odds are high that it will).

Get the SRT fork bleeders if you get a set.. The motion pro ones are junk.  Or at least for me they were.  They often leaked oil out of them and allowed water / moisture into my forks.  I didn't discover the water getting in until after my forks were serviced.  The shop mentioned this to me.    

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm going with the FMF slipon for the spark arrestor and quieter is always good for trails.

I will ditch the motion pro fork bleeders

I am going to get the TMD chain guide.

Swapping the acerbis front disc cover for the Enduro engineering model

I like the idea of ditching the hour meter for the programmer...seems much more useful :)

Is this the recommended linkage? https://www.procircuit.com/linkage-arm-yz450f-10-17-yz250f-14-17.html

• Like 1

I went with an adjustable pull rod from Devol, but I think there's a thread in the 450F forum right now,

I believe it was an 07 WR450 link is the same as the PC, just a bunch cheaper...

Edited by GRamg
  • Like 1

I have an exhaust that should fit that bike for cheaper then buying it new and it's never been mounted to the bike. I bought it for a 16 YZ250F. FMF 4.1 Aluminum with Carbon end cap if your interested. Willing to do 350+ shipping if your interested let me know. Thanks Ryan. 

IMG_0943.JPG

• Like 1

Hi this is my opinion, 

OEM colling Fan : Cheap and plug and play 

Subframe lowering and shave seat (if you are smaller than 5' 6") : better option, we want to keep more ground clearance  ($80) 

Front Frok oil change : Motul 2.5 weight, OEM oil suck.

Enduro Engenering skid plate or similar to protect frame under pegs GYTR is to short

GYTR Coolant pump guard 

Rad Guard : Bullet proof

Obie Link guard : if you ride on rock you can build your owm with plastic for 10$ 

Pivot Pegs : awesome mod, larger than OEM 

Lithium Battery : Amazing bike control in thight section (lighter feeling) ($99 Tusk RMATV) 

Rekluse core EXP 3.0 : (Depend what kind of rider you are) in my case it's a must 

Power tuner : make a big difference to find the best setup for your ride 

Acerbis Frame Guard 

Polisport clutch cover and swing arm  protection 

Exhaust, fork/shock revalving not necessary in my case

Enjoy 

Geeze. First dirt bike? Just ride it buddy. Then you will find out what you need to change or mod. Some people dont like the high back end, some do. Dont let other peoples opinions cloud yours.

However, when you see so many negative reviews about a particular product ( fork bleeders ), then I would take that into account.

When I bought my FX I had Cycra Gaurds and a skid plate waiting in the garage because I knew my trails. I has also been riding for years before that.

The only other things I have added to the bike has been the EE front and rear aluminum disc gaurds.

That bike has plenty of useable power. Honestly, no need for a tuner. Get the suspension set up. No point in having gobs of power if the steed is just gonna buck you off.

So, to re cap...

Buy gas. Pour gas. Start bike. Ride. I say ride it for 5 hours minimum, completely stock, before doing anything.

• Like 2