Rep Please Read TE300 Intake Woes

I am posting this topic in hopes that a Husqvarna or KTM rep of some sort will see it and offer me some kind of assistance (I have not seen this on TT but have seen it on some truck forums so I am giving it a shot). Not sure if this is a problem with all the '17 husqies but it sure is with mine. I got my 2017 TE300 in January and immediately took the carb off to jet it per the table in the manual for a base line. Upon reassembly I noticed that the intake boot was easier to slide onto the carb bell than any bike I had ever done before (as in I put the sub frame down and the boot went straight on without any help).  In hindsight, 20/20 of course, I should have spotted this problem right then. However I was excited to ride my new steed and thought cool that was easy and put the rest back together. Also, the clamp that goes on that boot was extremely flimsy, I might have gotten 10 inch pounds on it before it hopped a tooth. I didn't like that but figured it's brand new and I'm probably worrying too much. Since then I have noticed dust inside my carb every time I pulled the filter after a day of riding with others and thus riding in the dust.

IMG_4434.thumb.JPG.6c48a077a94abfa5b62e64cd4a6000b7.JPG

I have tried several different clamps with no better results. Finally today I ripped the boot out of the airbox and put the intake together on my bench. I verified that there was no dust on the grease at the filter rim which meant the filter was sealing to the boot. Checked for holes in the boot itself, none (as well as no dust in the boot).  I found that the diameter where the intake boot meets the carb is about 1/8" larger than the carb bell. So no matter how tight I was getting the clamp, there was always a hole at this joint where the dust was entering the carb.

IMG_4435.thumb.JPG.75742df06d33e3ee18109a5a6f8df6e3.JPG

When a rubber piece (such as a hose or boot) meets a fitting that is supposed to go inside the rubber (such as a barb or carb bell), the I.D. of the rubber should be slightly smaller than the O.D. of the fitting. This means that the rubber will actually have to expand slightly to make it onto the fitting and create it's own seal. The clamp then ensures that the seal is retained during movement and pressure/vacuum. This is seen here on the hose I use to fill shocks with nitrogen. This connection is rated to 300 PSI and does not even need a clamp. Notice the change in hose diameter where it is forced over the fitting.

IMG_4437.thumb.JPG.ab4ddc69da22fe061809ec22e21d35a8.JPG

I am left with very few options here. I am going to call a dealer tomorrow and have a new boot ordered in to try out on the off chance mine is a lemon (if I can even get one as Rocky Mountain ATV/MC is a KTM/Husqvarna dealer and cannot order the part).

The only other option I see is to hope I can source a perfectly sized speedi-sleeve and bring the O.D. of the carb to the proper size for the boot.

While I am doing this, my 6 month old, $10,500 dirt bike will be sitting in my garage, unusable, in the middle of summer. This is causing me to seriously question my decision to purchase this bike instead of the year after year proven reliability of a much cheaper YZ250, and will seriously influence my buying decision next year. As a note, this is not the first questionable design or build quality item I have seen on KTM products after I started hearing rumors the company was purchased by an investment firm. If this is an indication of tides to come, I am jumping ship.

Edited by wiley13

Sounds like a 1 off tbh but I'm sure your dealer will help out with a new one if there's a problem. 

In the UK the te300 gets a 6 month warranty.  Personally mines been spot on with no problems.  Once the squish was sorted even the original jetting was close too.

Have you spoken to your dealer as yet?

Wow you do? We get a 30 day "warranty". The dealers around here have 0 interest in helping anyone out with products they have sold. Once you have bought a bike, they don't want to hear from you until you want to buy another bike. After trying numerous OEM clamps I was finally able to get one to tighten up enough to seal (fingers crossed). But that boot is definetely too large. I can remember using a small pry bar or large screwdriver to force the boot over the carb on previous bikes. A nuisance yes, but they never leaked. The whole airbox on that bike seems to be flimsy and problem prone. I'm sure the quest for weight savings has something to do with it. Hopefully it will be ok from here on but I will forever be paranoid about the damage done. 

yap all the 17 carbs i pulled out were very easy to take out and a lot ather things felt kainde of not solid but it still is a great bike  

allso could have bean rush thro production ces it sholde have been a fi bike 

On 7/8/2017 at 8:56 AM, wiley13 said:

Wow you do? We get a 30 day "warranty". The dealers around here have 0 interest in helping anyone out with products they have sold. Once you have bought a bike, they don't want to hear from you until you want to buy another bike. After trying numerous OEM clamps I was finally able to get one to tighten up enough to seal (fingers crossed). But that boot is definetely too large. I can remember using a small pry bar or large screwdriver to force the boot over the carb on previous bikes. A nuisance yes, but they never leaked. The whole airbox on that bike seems to be flimsy and problem prone. I'm sure the quest for weight savings has something to do with it. Hopefully it will be ok from here on but I will forever be paranoid about the damage done. 

Wow thats shitty on the dealers not covering warranty...good that everyone here has posted up though to share.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

If your dealer isn't willing to help it might be worth buying another intake boot. I know the 2016 ones were only £24 new so they don't cost the earth.

I can tell you that it's been really dry and dusty on the trails last few weeks I've been really impressed with how little dirt gets in the airbox / carb.  

I ordered a new intake boot and am going to go check it out tomorrow to see if it is any tighter than mine. I put the above mentioned clamp on the boot and rode Sunday. Still getting dirt in. Yes it is dry and dusty but I am very meticulous about my bike's and I have never had dirt in any intake. This TE has dirt on the carb slide every time I pull the filter. When I have had the airbox apart have noticed how extraordinarily flimsy the airbox is, however I see no dirt stuck to the grease at the rim of the filter so I don't know how that could be the entry point. I have been using the same oil and rim grease for years and never had an issue. The dirt is most commonly at the top of the slide. I keep thinking it's coming in at the slide cap but the o ring is good and I can't find any evidence up there. Anyone have any ideas? I've had the carb and boot on my bench multiple times and cannot find any evidence of it getting in anywhere but on the slide. 

Yea I thought about doing that but figured it was probably too close to the air filter and would possibly hear revs go up as a result of some getting pulled through there. I will try that if my current setup fails again. I had it apart again this week and spent hours inspecting every inch of the intake both before and after the carb and still cannot find anything questionable other than the joint at the rear of the carb. I put it back together with tons of Ultra Black on both carb bells. I also ran some electrical tape around the throttle cable (even though the dust cover appears to be sealing well and there was no dust under it). I went a little overboard with filter grease and oil too. I am going riding after work today and will update upon tear down as I saw someone else is having similar problems on a TX. 

Also, I cut my air filter to pieces. No visual penetration in either the dirtiest or cleanest parts of the filter.

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

Still have dirt in the carb. Starting fluid test inconclusive as I can spray it directly into the air filter and rpm does not change. I'm now thinking either filter oil or the dumb ass filter cage is to blame. It has one little x shaped point that holds the middle of the filter up and forces all the oil away from it. This is what KTM's engineers must look like. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg