Boano racing brake cooler for Beta

I got a tip from Ud luz on putting a heat sink on the rear.. supposedly this is an old school mod for brake heating.. I put this on my 13 300rr that got stolen. I never got to see how it worked.  Usually just regular changing of fluid with some high temp motul brake fluid is plenty.. but there's more brake cooling mods out there..

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKmI7A3q3FV_DmKACXErKbELXcXf6QnqDZNuTXfY4bUkI3G07S

here's a similar version that someone else did.

IMG_20160523_122629639.jpg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I guess if Steve holicombe, the fastest beta racer, world champ, racing all day in searing heat says he has no brake issues and doesn't have them fitted i think it'll be ok

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retromlc said:

I guess if Steve holicombe, the fastest beta racer, world champ, racing all day in searing heat says he has no brake issues and doesn't have them fitted i think it'll be ok

Sure it will be ok. Really the pro riders have their brakes bled after every time they ride their bikes.. and yea I can just run the high temp racing motul brake fluid and it's fine.. and just change on a more rigorous maintenance schedule and all is well. The reality is brake fluid boiling and fading has been an issue for a long time.. decades...It's why there have been a variety of products on the market to address. Boano racing makes race parts that they use and then sells them.. stuff like suspension and brake disc guards and whatever that they sell come from racing and those parts being of use.  Boano racing had those kinds of rear brake coolers in 2009.. yet they have come back and made another version available this past year for the newer bikes.. probably same type of brakes.. Idk.. ktm , husky, gasgas and a bunch of japanese brands have brake cooling parts.. check at slavens.. he's one outlet that has but others have also. So you don't have to use them.. 

It's just who does use them and how does.. did it work??

This is nissin and for gasgas till 2017 . I bet this fits.. but it would be close to the pipe I think..

http://www.enduropuro.it/shop/en/gasgas-racing-parts/276-rear-brake-pump-cooler.html

rear-brake-pump-cooler.jpgrear-brake-pump-cooler.jpg

not a clear pic.. but on the Nambotin replica 

gasgas_ec_300_nambotin_01.jpg

2013 Cervantes replica too.

plastic-kit-stickers-gas-gas-racing-namb

On 7/4/2017 at 6:35 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

I got a tip from Ud luz on putting a heat sink on the rear.. supposedly this is an old school mod for brake heating.. I put this on my 13 300rr that got stolen. I never got to see how it worked.  Usually just regular changing of fluid with some high temp motul brake fluid is plenty.. but there's more brake cooling mods out there..

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKmI7A3q3FV_DmKACXErKbELXcXf6QnqDZNuTXfY4bUkI3G07S

here's a similar version that someone else did.

IMG_20160523_122629639.jpg

I put a longer finned heat sink on my 300rr.rear brake caliper....just to see if there is a difference..I tried it first time today but figure I wont notice unless doing a 3 hr or more faster race where there might be lots of braking..I didnt get a picture yet... it was cheap...like a dollar or so  on ebay plus some epoxy.I figure its worked on other bikes and I just had my brakes fade in the ladt sprint enduro on like the 3rd loop. ..just insurance.

12 hours ago, bluespark said:

A friend has this on his Husky, says it works good.  Looks like it would break off pretty easy.

https://www.rnsworks.com/

image.jpg

I saw that and wondered how it might work...wondered about if you fell if a rock might damage??  I never saw anyone locally try that yet. Idk..might be good... 

Put this on to try.. just the cost of an ebay heat sink and liquid steel..about 3 bucks..lol....I figure Id have to ride it hard for a couple hours nonstop to see if theres fade.  Thats where it showed up...about a couple hours into our sprint enduro. Last month. Actually this plus fresh high temp motul race brake fluid and its all good Id think..idk..we will see.:ride:

20170710_164218.jpg

20170710_164210.jpg

20170710_164156.jpg

10 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Put this on to try.. just the cost of an ebay heat sink and liquid steel..about 3 bucks..lol....I figure Id have to ride it hard for a couple hours nonstop to see if theres fade.  Thats where it showed up...about a couple hours into our sprint enduro. Last month. Actually this plus fresh high temp motul race brake fluid and its all good Id think..idk..we will see.:ride:

20170710_164218.jpg

20170710_164210.jpg

20170710_164156.jpg

Might  work better if you could get metal to metal contact?

9 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Is this the same company? . ... looks similar.

2KEWL.jpg

..got this too..wait that maybe same as above.

025-AT3681F.jpg

Looks similar.  Is it cheaper than $80?

1 hour ago, bluespark said:

Might  work better if you could get metal to metal contact?

Maybe  but it's on the caliper. I figure it won't make that much difference but maybe.

I searched the Boano site but don't find this for sale

Check Sierra motor .. They carry lots of Boano parts in USA. Or just call.. lots of times with Beta parts from all kinds of companies it's not actually on a website.. graphic companies are famous for this.

Looks similar.  Is it cheaper than $80?

$80 seems on the high side.. idk I'd rather get the boano racing one but id doesn't matter all are good if it works.. just putting up this thread to show options.. and of course find out if anyone tried the boano race one yet.

I tried them all on my KTM's, and the only thing that worked in the end was ditching the Hardened Stainless steel rotors and Sintered pads... for black steel rotors and EBC Carbon x pads, and 600 degree oil. 

The Beta rotors are already standard steel, but there are 'black' steel rotors that dissipate heat even better.

If you are a brake dragger, or do very long descents, nothing will help. 

I even tried a mini-fan on my caliper to try and cool it down.  No change.

A Laser thermometer proved that all the things combined essentially dropped the temp 20 degrees max......all that was happening was a delay of the boiling.

Once it overheats, the fluids boiling point drops dramatically. 

• Like 1