Going back to a 2 stroke

Just got my new 2017 YZ250X.  Sold my 2002 WR426 which I've owned since new (took 10 minutes! Should have asked for more I guess).  What a huge difference!  I will never choose power over light weight again.  2 strokes have come along way since my last one.  Still getting it set up.  Lights would have been nice since it's the law up here.

• Like 4

The new Gas Gas is 224 and the 03' SX is 229.5 but who's counting.

OP congrats and enjoy your new ride! :ride: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Bwahahahahahahahaahah i'm counting :banana:  oopsies

gg3.png.ed6292afbe3fb372fe2d8508b5d0f54f.png

CRF.jpg

You said new gasgas.. That's not the new gasgas... and I'd rather have a 6 speed 300 gasgas over your 4 speed sx any day... and you're comparing an mx bike against an enduro bike?.. try comparing to a 2 stroke mx bike.:excuseme: .. if you are going to compare.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, trail thumper said:

Just got my new 2017 YZ250X.  Sold my 2002 WR426 which I've owned since new (took 10 minutes! Should have asked for more I guess).  What a huge difference!  I will never choose power over light weight again.  2 strokes have come along way since my last one.  Still getting it set up.  Lights would have been nice since it's the law up here.

Congrats on going back to 2 stroke .. enjoy your new toy!

• Like 1

Come on, compare your KTM to the YZ250X! The YZ250X has a "wet" weight of only 229lbs which I'm sure your KTM and the GG are "dry" weight. However, you're only retort to the guy with a Yamaha YZ250X is that your MX bike is lighter than the GasGas enduro bike? :lol: So, let's run with your comparison...

'03 KTM 450SX MX bike vs the '18 GasGas EC250/300 enduro bike.

KTM fuel tank is only 1.85g vs GG's 2.6g

KTM has lightweight flywheel with no lighting coil while GasGas is the opposite

KTM kickstart only vs GG electric start and kickstart

KTM no battery vs GG with battery

KTM no lights vs GG with lights

KTM 4sp transmission vs GG's 6 speed

KTM with lighter 19" MX rim/tire vs GG's 18" off road rim/tire

KTM 104.1kg (229.5lbs) vs GG 105kg (231.5lbs)

Hmm, I wonder how much that KTM would weigh if it had similar equipment to the GG? Oh, I have that info below! :thumbsup:

2003ktm450exc.jpg

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

You said new gasgas.. That's not the new gasgas... and I'd rather have a 6 speed 300 gasgas over your 4 speed sx any day... and you're comparing an mx bike against an enduro bike?.. try comparing to a 2 stroke mx bike.:excuseme: .. if you are going to compare.

Lighter 2 strokes bwahahahahahahahahaha :moon:

The old GasGas 2T's weigh a lot more than they should. First time I pushed my buddies up the trailer ramp i had to look again to make sure I wasn't stealing someones Goldwing. They do feel light when you are riding  them. 

A YZ250X is way lighter than a 426 and you are not actually giving up any peak power with the 250 -  but the 426 has a lot more bottom end. 

As with airplanes, weight is the enemy of a dirt bike. I cringe whenever I see a bike unnecessarily weighed down with batteries, e-starts, extra gears that are only good for riding on the road, etc. 

Enjoy your new ride!

• Like 1

Good choice on the new bike! I was pretty blown away with how light the two stroke is myself. 

Have fun setting it up and breaking it in!

1 hour ago, Woodzi said:

The old GasGas 2T's weigh a lot more than they should. First time I pushed my buddies up the trailer ramp i had to look again to make sure I wasn't stealing someones Goldwing. They do feel light when you are riding  them. 

A YZ250X is way lighter than a 426 and you are not actually giving up any peak power with the 250 -  but the 426 has a lot more bottom end. 

As with airplanes, weight is the enemy of a dirt bike. I cringe whenever I see a bike unnecessarily weighed down with batteries, e-starts, extra gears that are only good for riding on the road, etc. 

Enjoy your new ride!

I'm torn. I like the mod cons when I ride other people's bikes, but I also like how easy and light a basic bike like mine are.

I think the 2017-18 KTM 300 XC is 222 lbs dry. That's what I'm looking at for my next bike. Did the 4-stroke thing for two years, I'm ready to come back as well.

• Like 1

I know there are some real light ones out there.  I was comparing it to my 426.  Pull that beast out of the muskeg a few times on a hot day and you feel it for a week!:blink:  I just am a true blue Yamaha fan even though I get to switch with my riding buddies and they have Beta's, KTM's and the odd Honda thrown in the mix.  I might have gone for the Beta X trainer if I had a couple extra grand kicking around.

• Like 2

Arguing over which is better. 2T vrs 4 is getting a little old. Would it not make more sense to acknowledge the fact that they both work very well. Especially these days. There are pros and cons to both. It really boils down to personal preference . IMO

• Like 3

YZX is a great bike. You will not regret your purchase.

I can't understand why KTM riders spend so much time in the Yamaha forum.

• Like 8