2007 WR450 will not run with Dynatek FS CDI

I just bought a Dynatek FS CDI for my 2007 WR450f and I think the unit is defective. I have triple checked the model and fitment, which was correct, DFS7-23P. Everything plugs in as it should, unit looks new with no exposed wires. I only connected the plugs and curve selector but not the additional leads (purple, blue, green and white accessory wires). I sealed each accessory wire individually with heat shrink and taped them up. I have a stock electrical system (as far as I know) other than turn signals and keyed ignition, stock stator, TPS plugged in, grey wire still connected and unmolested plugs. The keyed ignition was plug and play but I only had to use 2 of the 4 wires that went to the stock on/off switch. I sealed off the remaining two wires that supposedly just powered the little red light on the stock on/off switch. Turn signals were soldered in place. Plenty of power with a new battery. 

When I hookup the Dynatek computer the bike will not start by either e-start or kick. I'll hear the relay click with e-start with the Dynatek installed, just no turn over. The bike will turn over when kicked but won't run. If I swap the ECU's (back to stock) and don't touch anything else, it runs fine. I've looked into the Dynatek ECU and everything loads up with the correct maps.

From Dynatek: "If the bike will not start or run at all, reinstall the stock ignition. If this fixes the problem, the the Dyna ignition should be returned to Dynatek for testing". I'm trying to get an exchange going since I bought it yesterday. 

Have you had any other similar issues? Any things I can try?

Thanks,
Evan

Edited by Nixinus

Thanks guys. Do either of you have modified electrical systems, keyed ignitions or turn signals added? Both start/kill bar switches still hooked up?

24 minutes ago, Nixinus said:

Thanks guys. Do either of you have modified electrical systems, keyed ignitions or turn signals added? Both start/kill bar switches still hooked up?

Yes a full Baja Designs kit with keyed switch and all on the Supermoto bike. That shouldn't make any difference. 

If everything is plugged in and one works and the other doesn't it's a bad part. 

That's unfortunatly what I figured. I'm trying to exchange it because the other option is to ship it off to Dynatek. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Update:

Dynatek built a new unit because they didn't have any left on the shelf so it took about a month to get it back. 

New until works great. Studder is gone and power is great. Curve #2 is very agressive, I feel I need to rejet for it. Curve 3 is good but advancing it and mimicking curve 1 in some places seems to work best.

I am not sure I did the TPS adjust correct because the settings don't persist when restarting the program. I plugged everything up, got the TPS to read and set the closed/full throttle position successfully. Since there is no send button on the diagnostics page I sent the curves again after updating the TPS, saved the configuration file and shut down the program. When I restart it, the TPS setting revert back to stock. How can I confirm the settings worked?

Edited by Nixinus
Typos
  • Like 1