Spooge

How's that for a title?  I finally got my jetting right, have used Yamalube at 32:1 and decided to try a bit different oil.  Prior to changing my plug was a mocha color, not quite brown but not wet and black either.  Minimal spooge, but still some, with the Yamalube.  Went with Golden Spectro and mixed at 32:1 and within 20 minutes fouled a plug and heavy spooge  out of my silencer..... WTH.  Guess I'll go back to Yamalube but was hoping to find a bit lower flashpoint than what I had.  Any issues with running 40:1?  Would think that it would make me run richer.

Edited by FITZI6_7

Fair question.  I've been chasing my jetting for a bit, finally have that right.  Oil should not impact my jetting and Yamalube is at a higher flashpoint than the Golden Spectro.  I used to use it although at 50:1 on my RM and KX's so thought I'd give it a shot.  Likely it would do fine at 50:1 on my YZ250X.  The 32:1 ratio is the factory recommended for racing purposes and I don't ride nearly that hard.  The Yamalube at 32:1 is a bit dirty, was trying something new.  I'd prefer a synthetic or blend than what I have.  Plus it's fun to tinker.

Confirm your fuel/float level is adjusted per spec and, that the fuel inlet needle/seat aren't worn or dirty.

Despite leaner jetting, higher than normal fuel level in the bowl will richen all fuel metering circuits.

Lean the pilot jet and needle clip position yet another step.

Keep the main jet stock for those occasional WOT moments.

Often discussed, there are proven low flash point premix oils well suited for non all-out racing applications,

Amsoil Interceptor and Lucas to name a few.

You don't mention what bike or type of riding but

if a trail ridden YZ250, I see no problem going 40:1 (even 50:1) but that may require even more jetting experiments to get right.

If it's an MX track bike, no matter the skill level / speed, I'd leave it at 32:1

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

I am running 30:1 motul 800v in my yz250. Zero spooge. 48 pj, 185 mj and 2nd clip from top.

I run that with acrylate(?) gas which leans it out a little but is better for knocking and less soot. Lug it in the woods all day without probs. Try leaning your jet a little and don't jet by color. Use plug chop 👍

Edit: and float at 5-5.5mm 

Edited by Christoffer Brandel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Christoffer Brandel said:

Try leaning your jet a little and don't jet by color. Use plug chop 👍

Wouldn't plug chop be by color?

Edited by Ron W

Plug chop method is only good to determine the main jet at wide open throttle.

Pilot jet and needle settings are adjusted by 'feel' for best driveability.

• Like 2

For sure your oil should be matched with your riding style...if you focusing on spooge...once you get one working I would stick with it?