Bike identification

I found a bike (frame, forks, mono, swing arm, wheels, but no engine) dumped on my road.  Since the VIN was ground off, I turned it over to the police and washed my hands of it.  6+ months pass and the cops call me asking if I want it back.  I took it figuring it'd be worth something.  How do I identify this without a VIN or distinguishable numbers?

I know this is a Honda; I think this is a CRF, but I am not completely sure.

Any help is appreciated.

20170625_151333.jpg

Someone else can chime in but if the rear wheel is 19 inches it's an R. If it's 18 then an X.

• Like 1

There is NO VIN number on this frame - it was ground off when it was stolen.  

I am located in Canonsburg, PA.

CRF250/450 and CR125/250 chassis look the same and share a lot of parts.

I see one clue and that is the case protector on the left side, check photos or part fiche to find that unique case protector.

There is a plastic ring around the fork clickers (in center of fork top) and if not too badly sun faded it indicates the model of the forks. Blue=450R, Red=450X, Green=250R, Black=250X

Rear wheel size is another indicator; 19 is "R", 18" is "X"

On the "X" the right fork guards have a clip riveted near the top to hold the speedo cable and the right side of the wheel has a speedo drive. The top triple also has brackets on the front side to hold the speedo and headlight shell.

Finally all three engines have different motor mounts.

• Like 1

I had both a 250 and 450 (2004) and I think the shock mount is different between the 2 and the frame is smaller. Yours looks more like the 450 I just sold (pulling the carb always meant disassembling everything including the upper shock mount). I could be completely wrong and it turns out to be a 1978 maico (but probably not)

The  "Y" is unique to the '02 - '03 CRF450R which has front engine mount brackets.  The '04 may have had those as well, I'll check.

EDIT:  Hard to tell by the fiche so someone will have to chime in on the '04.

the Y.jpg

Edited by HRC27

Definitely 02-04 450R - no kickstand bracket for an "X" - which first arrived in 05

Some awesome information for sure! 

Based on the front shock color rings and the wheel sizes, I believe this to be a 450R.

Based on the triple mount, I think it must be an '04.

Thanks.  This at least gets me in the ballpark...

Shawn, it's important to read all the threads. The initial post says:

"I found a bike (frame, forks, mono, swing arm, wheels, but no engine) dumped on my road.  Since the VIN was ground off, I turned it over to the police and washed my hands of it.  6+ months pass and the cops call me asking if I want it back.  I took it figuring it'd be worth something."

Pretty sure that answers you question. 

5 hours ago, harmetp said:

Shawn, it's important to read all the threads. The initial post says:

"I found a bike (frame, forks, mono, swing arm, wheels, but no engine) dumped on my road.  Since the VIN was ground off, I turned it over to the police and washed my hands of it.  6+ months pass and the cops call me asking if I want it back.  I took it figuring it'd be worth something."

Pretty sure that answers you question. 

No worries, I missed that whole sentence. If you notice, Ive been around here a long, long time and I read A LOT of posts as it's kinda my job around here. Being a Mod and all.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shawn_Mc said:

No worries, I missed that whole sentence. If you notice, Ive been around here a long, long time and I read A LOT of posts as it's kinda my job around here. Being a Mod and all.

Yeah i think we've all done it  :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, harmetp said:

No problem. In this case (maybe rare) the OP did all the right things as far as the cops were concerned. 

Forgive me... what is "OP"?