LOOK! Any 150/230F pilots have THIS problem?

This thread is a spin off of my other thread "230F jetting issues. How is this happening?". If you read that thread, then you'd know that I'm having sputtering and popping issues on my 230F despite being spot on with jetting and pilot screw settings? Funny thing-- is that I've had the same issue with my 150F??

I THOUGHT the heat and humidity was playing games with my jetting, so when I'd have the sputtering issue-- I'd pull the float bowl and change the jetting. Every time I've pulled the float bowl. THIS has been sitting in the bottom of the bowl. I'd replace the jet, and my bike would run great again.... Then after running fine awhile-- it would start acting up again a couple weeks later?? Then I'd go back to the jet I was running before, replace THIS to where it belonged.... and the cycle would repeat itself!!

So I thought THIS thingamajig was coming off when I pulled the float bowl. But my theory is that we have gas with ethanol in it here in Ohio. I'm thinking that over time- the gas deteriorates this plastic thingy, and after a ride or so-- it workes it's way down to the bottom of the float bowl and hangs the float up. I'm thinking that this is why it always seems like it's running out of gas??

What does THIS thingy do, and is it necessary? Or should I just replace it in both my bikes with a new one every year before it deteriorates and slides into where it doesn't belong? I raced yesterday w/o it, and it seemed fine.I'm 99% sure that this has been the problem all this time. Anybody ever heard of this issue before? --L*64

image.jpg

Edited by luckystar64

Thats a baffle that (as I understand it) keeps the fuel from sloshing around your main jet and prevents surging when in rough terrain.  I thought that with the float bowl in position it holds that in place.  I always put my float bowl on with the carb upside down though so I'm not positive.   Interested to find out if that is your problem...

• Like 1

As mentioned already, it's a baffle for sloshing gas. I got annoyed with it on my stock 230 carb because I kept having to remove it, so I just left it out and the bike has ran fine the few hours I've ridden it.

I just ordered new ones for both my 230, and my 150. I've had the same problem with both bikes. I'm going to be riding today, and the part isn't in my carb, so I guess we'll see if there's any issue with it out later today. This has GOT to be the issue with my carburation issues?  --L*64

It makes no difference for 80 % of riders. I take mine out everytime  and never have had it so much as stutter. 

Unless your pounding whoops, not going to notice a difference in or out.  

Been riding my xr250 without the baffle for thousands of miles. Previous owner lost it and I never replaced it. 

I'll keep it on my 230, though.

The 230 was designed as a trail bike. Trail bikes should not require a baffle. But guys on here are highly modifying these bikes and many are racing them. Therefor, they would likely want them. However, I don't think this is your issue. 

• Like 1

Well, I rode it tonight all night with the 122 main and the pilot set at 1.5 turns out. It ran fine. We'll see how the long term goes.  - L,*64

Edited by luckystar64

I ordered a new doohickey thingy for the carb on this bike. I installed it, and went back to the 120 main. Andddddddd......... It ran great. I guess I'm gonna completely drain the carb at the end of the year from now on, and replace the part. It looks to have been the problem.  --L*64

• Like 2