2017 Redbud How was your weekend...

I grew up on hardpack tracks in CA, some too hard!  I never got much practice in the soft stuff, and to this day, hate really rutted tracks.  I've seen some of those crazy pics with the really deep, long ruts.  

Not a fan, but kind of fun to watch the pros navigate the ruts.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jcm3 said:

I grew up on hardpack tracks in CA, some too hard!  I never got much practice in the soft stuff, and to this day, hate really rutted tracks.  I've seen some of those crazy pics with the really deep, long ruts.  

Not a fan, but kind of fun to watch the pros navigate the ruts.

I did not get a good look this year, but they can get 2' deep or more out there and seems to get worse every year.  Ruts can be ok, I like it somewhere's in between.  It seems the softer the track gets the more one lined it gets.  

1 hour ago, Havingfun said:

lot of riders talked about it being really soft and more one lined..  I think it is to soft and gets worked to deep

The track has always been one lined. The big problem is the water channels to all the corners.  Almost ever corner is at the base of a hill or some sort of elavation.  I never understood why they lay down so much water there. 

19 minutes ago, Havingfun said:

they are back in style.

Sure.  They're in style if you like sweaty, hot man-on-man action.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RMZ819 said:

The track has always been one lined. The big problem is the water channels to all the corners.  Almost ever corner is at the base of a hill or some sort of elavation.  I never understood why they lay down so much water there. 

it's never been quite like it is now with all the soil additives.  I raced there 30 yrs ago and ride there now, it use to be very hard and stoney.  Underneath it is gravel based soil and drains very well (hilly & soil type), a gravel pit to the north, and grapes to the south are sitting on a million $$ or (s) of aggregate.  Thats why redbud has nice gravel driveways.  I believe the soil modifiers have been a little to much, and more of the natural terrain should be brought back into the mix.  It is all about soil additives and how they prep the track.

• Like 2

it's never been quite like it is now with all the soil additives.  I raced there 30 yrs ago and ride there now, it use to be very hard and stoney.  Underneath it is gravel based soil and drains very well (hilly & soil type), a gravel pit to the north, and grapes to the south are sitting on a million $$ or (s) of aggregate.  Thats why redbud has nice gravel driveways.  I believe the soil modifiers have been a little to much, and more of the natural terrain should be brought back into the mix.  It is all about soil additives and how they prep the track.

100% agree. Glen Helen dumped tons of sand on that track over years. It is completely different than what is was 10 years ago.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Havingfun said:

they are back in style.

The bad part is that guys didnt wear them back then! Some goofball found an old pair of his MOM'S glasses and started wearing them around and now they are the fashion. 

sallyjessyraphael.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThumpNRed said:

The bad part is that guys didnt wear them back then! Some goofball found an old pair of his MOM'S glasses and started wearing them around and now they are the fashion. 

Millennials don't view gender the same way you and I do 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, meyermetal said:

Millennials don't view gender the same way you and I do 

Are you calling me old?! :)