Ya I'll have to look for that. I have to do fork seals on it soon and didn't know what oil to use or how much it will need.

I see the confusion , on the chart the 40oC value is 15 , that is not the wt. It's a 5wt which is around 15

I see the confusion , on the chart the 40oC value is 15 , that is not the wt. It's a 5wt which is around 15

Ok so I should be fine with any quality 5 WT oil right?

3 hours ago, mog said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Most 3w to 5w fluids will be fine. Bel-Ray HVI series are for shocks only (no anti-foaming agents) and Silkolene RSF 5 is about a 10w.

I've been running motor oil for years in the open cartridge forks.  5w20 or 0w20.  No problems and much more affordable.

Suspension oil should be referred to in Centistokes (Cst), the weight (viscosity) of the oil or how heavy it is goes by the number of Centistokes at 40 deg C i.e.: a heavier/thicker oil will have a higher number.

How stable the oil is at temperature (critical for shock oils) is measured by the Viscosity Index (VI), a shock oil will have lots of viscosity improvers in it hence the VI will be higher, the number of centistokes at 100 deg C will also be higher than a comparable oil with a lower VI. 

I have also found oils with higher VI's are generally less slippery

On 7/8/2017 at 8:40 AM, turbo dan said:

I've been running motor oil for years in the open cartridge forks.  5w20 or 0w20.  No problems and much more affordable.

Try Dexron VI ATF.  It's as affordable as common motor oil and the stuff is extremely slippery, excellent shear loading, kind to all seals and has anti-foaming properties. Viscosity at 40C is equivalent to about 6wt if I remember correctly.

On 7/6/2017 at 9:05 AM, 2strokebrapp said:

How do I know what weight oil to use in my 2001 yz250?

Keep in mind that if your old oil is very old and over due, then it'll be like 1wt "grey water" complete with steel spring filings which are grinding away at your important sliding alum surfaces on the damper rod and inside the upper fork tubes.  In which case don't over think the viscosity of the new oil. Anything will be better than what is in there.

• Like 4

Hasn't oil prices dropped recently?

Just checked and no they havnt

I figure ATF can't be as slippery as energy conserving motor oil.  ATF works with a wet clutch, those friction modified motor oils do not.  That's the only reason I am not running ATF.  I do use it in the shock though.