2017 500 RR-S clear headlamp cover melting - WTF??

Today my headlight plastic cover started bubbling due to excessive heat from the factory bulb.  No modifications have been made to the headlight assembly.

I don't understand why this is happening? Anyway appreciate any insight as to what can be done to prevent re-occurrence while I arrange replacement under warranty.

I'd rather not drop $300+ on the squadron setup but will if that's the only viable solution.

0705171929b.jpg

Your stock bulb is probably a 65w tungsten. I replaced my stock bulb with a LED. Brighter and draws less current. Look at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5JE3OV/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499313876&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=h4+led+bulb+motorcycle&dpPl=1&dpID=51Advu-QH3L&ref=plSrch

You can spend a little or a lot. It's up to you. Mine's lasted over a year and through numerous dumps. YMMV

• Like 2

It should have no more that a 45/45W bulb.The factory shipped some bikes out with a 60/55w bulb and they will melt the lens. The RR off-road only bikes come with a 35/35. Pull your bulb and check.  If this is the problem your dealer can warranty the lens for you. Also be sure the dimmer switch is fully on dim or high beam. If it is left in the middle both beams will come on causing overheating.

• Like 1