Thrust Washer Mixup

In the '77-78 TT engine, there's a large thrust washer behind the clutch basket that looks just like another one that is in the same engine.  Can somebody please make some measurements of both thrust washers so we won't get them mixed up in engine reassembly?  

Edited by Jimmy Pascol
Added the year for clarity

Number 3 for sure but...  The whole story is  then I got the motor together then found that washer laying in a spare box after buying one.   That means I may have the wrong one inside the motor. I won't know until I break the motor down again.   Seems like I remember another one in the motor approximately the same size and thickness.   I'll get back to you later on It when something tears up. 

It was the thrust washer that goes on the kickstarter shaft by the spring.  The kickstarter was removed to save weight and the washer went rogue.   

On 7/14/2017 at 8:17 PM, S.O.A.N.Z said:

:facepalm::banghead::thumbsup:

There are three thrust washers at issue here.  One behind the clutch basket, one behind the clutch hub and one in the kickstarter.  Will be pulling my clutch this weekend because I accidentally pulled the gear shifter out a little and have no second gear or any other gear because the teeth no longer mesh.   Will be sure the three thrust washers are where they belong.   I have met the enemy and he is me.

On a related note, Heinz Hofer has a great Youtube video on assembling an XT motor.  He puts a ball on the end of the pushrod behind the mushroom.  That ball is not on any schematic drawings of a TT motor that I can find.  Anybody got an answer for that?   Unless it's to reduce friction from a spinning clutch package....

Edited by Jimmy Pascol
Further musings of a lunatic mind.
  • Like 1

Correction:  Forget a thrust washer on the distal end of the kick starter shaft.  It won't let the cases meet and oil went all over my garage floor.  Too thick.  Probably came from another m/c in my past.  

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Pascol said:

Correction:  Forget a thrust washer on the distal end of the kick starter shaft.  It won't let the cases meet and oil went all over my garage floor.  Too thick.  Probably came from another m/c in my past.  

and the plot thickens  :crazy:

#3 in the schematic/behind the clutch assembly: 50mm diameter.   

#10 is a dish washer behind the nut.

#16 looks like the 41.5 mm thrust washer behind the clutch assembly. Is it the thick one @ 4mm?  That one now resides in my tool box in very lovely neighborhood but I think/hope I put a twin where it's supposed to be.   

Anybody got a motor apart?  

if you order the washers - the corresponding part numbers will match up to the schematic

3 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

if you order the washers - the corresponding part numbers will match up to the schematic

Why don't you order them, pay for it yourself then measure them for me?   I'll owe you a beer.   I was hoping somebody had a motor apart already but thanks for the idea.

Edited by Jimmy Pascol
  • Like 1