The problem I'm having now is one of my Showa fork tubes is longer than the other by 1 centimeter. Is there any way around not tearing them completely apart or can I just take up the difference when I mount them?

I'm not 100% sure but I think this is normal just push up on the lower fork when installing your tire, once the axle bolt is in it should be fine. Hope I'm right cause I have the same problem.

Ya here's my problem. One.is 31.8cm and the other is like 29.8cm. Do I have to tear them completely apart to fix this?

1499310476652-812006090.jpg

Ok so I messe with the bleeder a lil and got them to about the same length. Is that all I need to do whenever I have the bike back together?

Not normal and dangerous, you must take them apart

They should be the same length

• Like 1

No the oil quantity would not affect the length.

You have a mechanical issue that needs to be resolved, if the forks bind up you risk injury.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

It's possible the longer leg's damper rod is unthreading. This would lengthen the fork. It's jam nut may have come loose. Under these conditions, it's possible for that fork leg to separate. If it's not completely unthreaded, the shorter leg has to absorb all the top out forces. Bad. If both legs unthread/fail your fork legs can separate. At the least, parts may be banging around inside affecting damping and causing damage. I'd start by disassembling the longer leg and inspecting. Does your manual give the necessary specs to determine which, if either leg is correct?

• Like 2

Ok so I messe with the bleeder a lil and got them to about the same length. Is that all I need to do whenever I have the bike back together?

They should be the same and is dangerous as posted above.

If there is negative pressure the fork will not fully extend. When you opened the breather was the front wheel off the ground/ fork unloaded?

Ya I had the forks off with no pressure on them and bled them and it seemed to align them a lil better but still off. 

So is it at normal pressure ? I didn't realise we were talking ssf air

I don't mean to high jack the thread but no sense making a new one, to mog I have a 14 rmz 450 with the Sff forks and the left fork when sitting on the bike is a tad longer but that's not my issue I can grab the upper fork tube and push the bottom of the fork up is that normal ? And all my clickers are all turned out.

Ssf and ssf air have all.the spring on one side and all the damping on the other, when off the bike the damping side is very easy to compress , the air side on the ssf air will vary by up to 10mm depending on pressure setting