Clutch Help?

Hello, 

Recently, I purchased a 2001 Honda CR125 for 1000$. It was pretty beat, but i thought I could handle fixing what needed to be fixed. After fixing several things on it, I thought i had solved all the issues. However, if the bike is not running and I put the bike into gear, i cannot push it with the clutch lever in. It feels the same as when i try to push it without pulling in the clutch. The clutch disengages fine when the bike is running. I, along with some trusted, more experienced riders, rebuilt the entire motor when i bought it in order to replace a cracked crankcase. The bike is also harder to push when in neutral than other bikes i have had. I think this could be down to to the warped front brake rotor which i am replacing soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this sounds stupid or obvious, please keep in mind that I am fairly new to dirt bikes.

This is my first post to thumpertalk, so i apologize if this is in the wrong place. 

Thanks.

Congrats on the bike. I have a 94 cr250, I'm pretty sure what your are explaining is normal because mine does it also. If I accidentally stall it on a slight downward trail and try and pop the clutch the rear tire will just lock up unless I jump on it at the correct time with the correct amount of speed. The clutch does seem to be a little nicer to me when the bike Is properly warmed up though. IMO I wouldn't worry about it if it engages/disengages correctly while running in gear.

2 minutes ago, harry showerman said:

Congrats on the bike. I have a 94 cr250, I'm pretty sure what your are explaining is normal because mine does it also. If I accidentally stall it on a slight downward trail and try and pop the clutch the rear tire will just lock up unless I jump on it at the correct time with the correct amount of speed. The clutch does seem to be a little nicer to me when the bike Is properly warmed up though. IMO I wouldn't worry about it if it engages/disengages correctly while running in gear.

Thanks for the reply! Very reassuring to hear its not just my bike. I will have a look next time i do a rebuild.

Harry is correct, this is normal. As for not pushing easy in neutral, older chain on the bike? I always notice that when I change my chain it push noticeably easy so an older chain definitely has a bit of drag. I'm assuming that if you rebuilt it that you changed the transmission oil as well. This will have a minor effect on these symptoms. More frequent Transmission oil changes is cheap insurance for the clutch and trans life.

10 minutes ago, BrapLife88 said:

Harry is correct, this is normal. As for not pushing easy in neutral, older chain on the bike? I always notice that when I change my chain it push noticeably easy so an older chain definitely has a bit of drag. I'm assuming that if you rebuilt it that you changed the transmission oil as well. This will have a minor effect on these symptoms. More frequent Transmission oil changes is cheap insurance for the clutch and trans life.

The chain has only 3-5 rides on it. When i put that on, I also did sprockets and rear wheel bearings/seals. Maybe the whole set isn't broken in yet? I perform transmission oil changes as often as I can. The front brake rotor is bent as I discovered on a ride earlier today. I will be doing front and rear brake service when I get back from vacation. (taking 150f to New Hampshire!) Probably will do front wheel bearings too. If I remember Ill make a post to this topic telling how it does. Thanks for the advice :)  

Right on. Sound like everything is in order. Could be the front brake like you say. Doing the front wheel bearing definitely won't hurt.

I run a 2001 CR250. Usually mountain trails up here in northern BC Canada

1 minute ago, BrapLife88 said:

Right on. Sound like everything is in order. Could be the front brake like you say. Doing the front wheel bearing definitely won't hurt.

I run a 2001 CR250. Usually mountain trails up here in northern BC Canada

Coming off the 150f the 125 feels like a beast. I can only imagine what a 250 feels like. Connecticut is about the worst state as far as riding goes, but I have lots of trails at my house. No real noise or emissions restrictions when were out back. Sure is fun!

Haha I bet it does! That's cool you got trails close. Even up here in the middle of nowhere they're trying to push us out. The granola munchin hippies around here got our track closed down. We're trying to find land for a new one but that easier said than done.

That must be frustrating. A few years ago they almost put up a track only about five minutes away! The plan got shot down by a bunch of old ladies that live way far away. Ridiculous. Where the track was supposed to be, the only houses you can see are small dots in the distance. Its an outrage to have an existing track closed.

Guess they'd rather us ride in stupid places and piss more people off instead of having a designated area. Seems logical...

It's fairly commonl on wet clutch bikes, the transmission oil causes the steels and friction discs to stick together and resemble it being engaged. as for being harder to push in neutral, just check for anything dragging or binding, or it could just be the feel of a new bike compared to old ones

On 7/6/2017 at 10:11 AM, diesel_dean1 said:

It's fairly commonl on wet clutch bikes, the transmission oil causes the steels and friction discs to stick together and resemble it being engaged. as for being harder to push in neutral, just check for anything dragging or binding, or it could just be the feel of a new bike compared to old ones

Put the bike on a stand and spin the wheels. You'll know if it needs bearings, if a rotor is warped, if the wheels are aligned etc.