Weird comparison I know - used Husky 2010 TE250 vs. New CR250L

Long time lurker as i have a 1979 DT250 and 1983 DT125 - first time poster!

My DTs were bought just from bombing around town, and on a lot of fire/forestry roads because of where i live (northern ontario). But, i want to get more serious into the trails and want something a bit more reliable and better fuel economy. Also, i would like to do short highwayy jaunts less than 100km (60miles) - eventually i would like to do full on "adventure touring"

anyway. i can get a new 2016 stock CRF250L for 5000 and finance it at a low rate. Or, i can get a 2010 husky TE250 for about 4000, and it has about 4000km on it. 

husky is a better bike new in terms of power and weight. But, i feel like it may be slightly less reliable even when new, let alone with 4000km...

the CRF is a little heavy, but for the price, warranty and financing option it is tempting. 

Anyone have experience with either? i am not a hard core ride. i will do some single track, but i will also be riding it every day to work (only about a mile each way) and would like to do a  little back road tour here and there. 

Crf is better for what you want - dual sport. The TE is more of an off-road enduro race machine.

8 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Crf is better for what you want - dual sport. The TE is more of an off-road enduro race machine.

So, would the be because of the gearing and/or service intervals?

I guess the extra weight  of the crf would be helpful on the highway

the husky motors have proven to be very reliable even with some dual sport riding. the husky would have quite a bit more power and a lot less weight. the 250l's are a pig off road and pretty slow on the road

1 hour ago, CarmanCRF said:

the husky motors have proven to be very reliable even with some dual sport riding. the husky would have quite a bit more power and a lot less weight. the 250l's are a pig off road and pretty slow on the road

or, i could potentially get a wr250r with some good extras for the same price as the husky..  the husky is better value based in the msrp, but the wr may bemore suitable

I have done some stuff to my honda that i dont think other bikes would have recovered from. its a 86 xl600r I got it in rode hard put away wet condition. And I put tires on it I feed it oil. I have forgot to feed it that oil three times now. Till I heard some noise. And thought oh no I forgot to check the oil again for a month on a smokey 30 year old bike. The first time I ran it out I drained it and found only one cup of oil in the whole dry sump system. Fill it back up and im no worse for it. I once rode a quarter mile in a muddy field toped out in first gear not thinking about how hot that will make an engine the engine seemed to lose half its power and i quickly figured out what happened and shifted up powering up to high speed to get some air on it and it recovered fully. I was blown away by this magic ugly old abused honda. Buy the honda when you need to get rid of it in thirty years it might as well be running. 

you may want to think of more cc than 250. the street bikes have usually been calmer  I ride my 600 off road through tight trails. Its a much heavier bike around 325 and on the other end I have a rm125. The 600 is straight line white knucle fast and can be fast in the trails but you have to muscle quick turns Im much faster on the 125 through trails because I can quicky flick it into a corner but the faster paced engine makes me more of a hooligan and the slow four stoke tames me. it makes me more of the nature loving slow explorer.