Switching from enduro bike to MX

Hello all,

Aaaand... it's time for my very very first thread! :cheers: ^_^

I've been dirt-riding for a little over a year now, and I've been riding mostly single trails, fireroads - woods riding in general. Nothing very fancy or extreme.
I own a '06 KTM 250 EXC.

Lately, a few of my friends/people i used to go riding with have been reaaaally busy, so i end up riding the local (mostly DYI) mx tracks near my house. It's been really fun and helped me evolve quite a bit, but my bike (250 2t) seems to be quite a handful for me in the track (too much power and I'm a realtively small guy 5'8 150lbs). I'm not sure if it is because it is set up differently and not for track (sluggish suspension, wider transmission), but I am sure that the kick I get from the sheer power of the thing is keeping me behind. It is very tiring and a bit difficult to tame.

Considering that this will be the case from now on for 80% of the time, I've been thinking about trading my bike for a 250 4t or 125/150 2t MX bike. I know MX bikes are snappier than enduro bikes, so that's why I'm thinking about stepping down a notch power-wise. Would the difference be night n day? would a 250 4t or a 125/150 2t bike be more manageable and help me improve as far as track riding is concerned? 
As for the other 20% of the times, will I still be able to do those woods/trail rides with almost the same ease on an 125/150 mx bike?

Thanks in advance,
DK

I'm about 6 foot 130 pounds and 16 years old. normally i race a 125 in hare scrambles and MX and i do love the bike, i also own an 04 ktm 250 exc and find it quite fun on the motocross track, it's heaps easier to ride than a 125/150, gets you over just about any medium sized double or table top with minimal effort, handles pretty decent, and i don't find the wide ratio bad on the MX track at all, Do you have any friends that have a bike you were thinking about buying? maybe you could test ride it to see if it's your taste?

125/150 MX bikes have to be pinned almost constantly to get anything out of them. They have almost nothing on bottom end and everything on top, keep the throttle on the stop, row the shifter, and never let off. 250 4 stroke, although a little mellower on bottom and having a longer power curve, will make you a good mechanic (or very broke paying someone else to be the very good mechanic).

I always go back to one of our local MX track/OHV trails places. Kid who was a very fast 450 racer showed up with his dad, dad was going on the trails on his freshly rebuilt (by the son) KDX220 with his friends. Young guy grabbed the KDX for a quick "break in" run around the track. That was one of the most reality check few laps I've ever witnessed. The KDX was screaming around the top foot of the berm corners, clearing all the jumps including the huge table top, manualing the whoop section, in general doing things that you would never dream that a lowly KDX220 could do. End of the laps he gave it back to dad and went on with his KX450F.

It's all about the rider. A top end bike will only accentuate a top end rider. If you're having trouble with the power on a heavy rotating mass enduro bike, a motocross bike may well only make things worse. Learn how to ride to the point you're wringing out of it all your bike has to give, then move up..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

125/150 MX bikes have to be pinned almost constantly to get anything out of them. They have almost nothing on bottom end and everything on top, keep the throttle on the stop, row the shifter, and never let off. 250 4 stroke, although a little mellower on bottom and having a longer power curve, will make you a good mechanic (or very broke paying someone else to be the very good mechanic).

I always go back to one of our local MX track/OHV trails places. Kid who was a very fast 450 racer showed up with his dad, dad was going on the trails on his freshly rebuilt (by the son) KDX220 with his friends. Young guy grabbed the KDX for a quick "break in" run around the track. That was one of the most reality check few laps I've ever witnessed. The KDX was screaming around the top foot of the berm corners, clearing all the jumps including the huge table top, manualing the whoop section, in general doing things that you would never dream that a lowly KDX220 could do. End of the laps he gave it back to dad and went on with his KX450F.

It's all about the rider. A top end bike will only accentuate a top end rider. If you're having trouble with the power on a heavy rotating mass enduro bike, a motocross bike may well only make things worse. Learn how to ride to the point you're wringing out of it all your bike has to give, then move up..

I totally agree that it's more about the rider and i am by no means saying that I am at a point where I would want to be. In fact, I was thinking of moving down not up. My bike has been :thumbsup: for the type of riding I used to do till now. But in the track it seems like it's too much for my current self. I mean, 250 4t or 125 2t MX is a step down from 250 2t enduro bike power-wise, isn't it? 
A 250 4t mx is going to be a lot mellower, right? I rode some guy's  '10 RMZ-250 for a couple of laps and it seemed to fit me more. I guess I will have to get him to lend me his bike one more time to make sure. (maybe 2t is not for everyone??)

As for the smaller 2Ts, I've actually never ridden one in the track and that's a shame really... But wouldn't the fact that are sort of dead on low-mid help one progress further or would it have the exact opposite effect of not having enough power to clear jumps with ease or even corner it right?

Edited by Dimitri Krits

4 hours ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

I'm about 6 foot 130 pounds and 16 years old. normally i race a 125 in hare scrambles and MX and i do love the bike, i also own an 04 ktm 250 exc and find it quite fun on the motocross track, it's heaps easier to ride than a 125/150, gets you over just about any medium sized double or table top with minimal effort, handles pretty decent, and i don't find the wide ratio bad on the MX track at all, Do you have any friends that have a bike you were thinking about buying? maybe you could test ride it to see if it's your taste?

Hehehe you are making this even more difficult for me :p 

So your EXC fares well in the track, but how does your 125 mx do outside the track? 

Well , the thing is I don't have any friends with small CC 2strokes, so I will have to find someone in the track willing to lend me his...

Hehehe you are making this even more difficult for me :p 
So your EXC fares well in the track, but how does your 125 mx do outside the track? 
Well , the thing is I don't have any friends with small CC 2strokes, so I will have to find someone in the track willing to lend me his...

depends how aggressive of a rider you are, i ride my 125 hard through the woods because i'm an aggressive rider, if i was lazy then i'd probably dread riding it in the bush. If i were in your shoes with all the low end of the 250 EXC, You'll HATE having to adjust to the 125/150.

A 250F would probably be your best bet for what you're wanting. Far more linear power curve than a 2T. They will still make good power (though not as much as a 250 2T0, but you have to go looking for it up top. less likely to catch you out through the low/ middle. Little 125s make you work for everything you get out of them. Very little low and mid range, and a very peaky top end.

The one thing if you get a 250F, check it over very carefully if you're buying used. They can be maintenance intensive, and a lot of people don't keep up with it all that well, very easy to get into a $$ pit unless you can do pretty much any possible rebuilding and such yourself.

• Like 2

I, as well, am leaning towards a 250F. I know it will be a tad more expensive to maintain than a 2stroke, but I am okay with it. Only thing holding me back is that I have never ridden a 125 2stroke. I guess I will have to find one and test ride it before ruling it out. Also, does a 150cc have a noticeable difference compared to a 125 and how does that compare to my current 250? Even if you have it pinned, it is still tamer than my current bike, correct?

@ScrewMx_Hd I may be better buying an MX bike as this will be my main focus now (8 out of 10 rides). Or are you suggesting the XC-F because it will be even more mellow than a let's say 250 SXF?

I, as well, am leaning towards a 250F. I know it will be a tad more expensive to maintain than a 2stroke, but I am okay with it. Only thing holding me back is that I have never ridden a 125 2stroke. I guess I will have to find one and test ride it before ruling it out. Also, does a 150cc have a noticeable difference compared to a 125 and how does that compare to my current 250? Even if you have it pinned, it is still tamer than my current bike, correct?
[mention=438070]ScrewMx_Hd[/mention] I may be better buying an MX bike as this will be my main focus now (8 out of 10 rides). Or are you suggesting the XC-F because it will be even more mellow than a let's say 250 SXF?

it will be more mellow than a 250 SXF but not by much, just more woods tuned. Still very capable on an MX track.
  • Like 1