XR400 Chain and Sprockets

It's time to replace my chain and sprockets. I just purchased this item off of ebay but I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with cheap ebay chains and sprockets? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112426730961 

What would you suggest, if something other than this kit? 

Thanks!

That kit looks ok o ring chain and all nice and cheep. the only thing I could think of as a difference from a brand name chain is the tensile strength!

a brand name chain would be stronger....... still the odds of you braking the chain are probably slim!

I have  JT sprockets and a did chain on my xr400.... $45 front...$50 rear....and $100 for the chain(at a discount) so your kit is a good saving! that's my opinion any way:ride:

most of it comes down to how you ride and where

This is one of those "you bought it you got it things".   I can't imagine you getting any thing damaged by using it as long as you monitor wear.  I am very interested in how it wears for you.   One note is that you make sure the counter shaft is nice and clean (I put never seize on mine since I have several bikes that I ride and some get put away for a season or two) and make sure that the front goes on with just hand pressure.   Years back a friend used a mallet to put a stubborn one on that was probably not machined carefully and the shaft (though useable) was visibly damaged.  Other than that,  tell us how long it runs before your second adjustment. :ride:

• Like 1

It's the CS sprocket I'd be concerned most about. Loose spline tolerances will ruin a CS in to time. Then there's the headache of replacing it, all for saving a few bucks with sprockets.

When you get that CS installed, if there's much more than just a hair of slop in the rotational plane as you rotate it CW and CCW on the shaft, you probably ought to ditch it.

Thanks for the replies. If the CS sprocket is loose at all, I won't use it. I'll try to remind myself to report back when it arrives.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JKTrevecca said:

Thanks for the replies. If the CS sprocket is loose at all, I won't use it. I'll try to remind myself to report back when it arrives.

Be aware tho, a little side to side play as you cock the sprocket left and right on the shaft is normal.

I dunno. Just run it. I get the RMATV Primary Drive stuff and they seem to hold up very well. I've had one of their kits on my XR for about 3yrs with no real signs of wear but I'm also pretty good about keeping the drive systems clean on all our bikes.

Well the ebay parts arrived today and while it's tough to judge a book by it's cover, I am pleased. My old rear sprocket had only 7 teeth that weren't broken off!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to remove 3 links from the chain but all is well that ends well. I rode about 20 miles of trails after installing the new chain and sprocket. Going from 15/45 to 15/48 is a very impressive change! Lots of fun today. It's so easy to pop the front wheel up over logs and such now. FUN FUN FUN!!

Here is a pic of the NEW and OLD sprockets. I'm not 100% sure but I think these are/were the original sprockets to this bike. It's a 2004. While I had the rear wheel off, I removed the swing arm bolt (LUCKILY IT CAME OUT!) and cleaned/greased/anti-siezed that sucker. 

New.jpg

0708171954.jpg

Edited by JKTrevecca
  • Like 2

Well no one can say you did not get your use out of the old ones lmoa:lol: its great you had fun keep it up! and good to see you lubed your swing arm bolt 10 points for that did you lube the wheel axle???..........keep that beast thumpin!

I didn't worry about the wheel axle yet b/c I am going to replace the wheel bearings as soon as my new ones arrive so it will be all apart again in a few days and at that point, I'll clean and lube the rear axle. One of the two rear wheel bearings is pretty rough right now. I didn't know it but when I had it apart and rotated it by hand, I can feel the grinding inside of it. The more I ride and play with this bike, the more I really like it. Sometimes I want it to have more top end screaming power but the grunt down low is more valuable and more fun. 

I've been watching the youtube video series on Enduro Cross Training and practicing the really slow stuff in my yard. It's tough but it's already making me a better rider. There is no substitute for time in the saddle. The more I ride the more confident and comfortable I feel on the trails. 

• Like 1

good on ya.... that hard endure cross training skills on the tube is awesome I watch it to good stuff. PS. get some graphite to mix with grease and lube your axles and swing arm bolt its good stuff