Ktm to Beta change?

This topic is for the ones who have changed from ktm/husky to beta? Do you like the beta better? Handling? Suspension? Reliability and/or quality? I want an honest review cuz im thinking changing my husky for an 18' beta but im not convinced yet.

I never "change" brands.
Because I don't work for any of those companies.
I just keep buying more bikes.

You should have a bike you like the most. Dont you?

2 hours ago, RaynerMatar94 said:

This topic is for the ones who have changed from ktm/husky to beta? Do you like the beta better? Handling? Suspension? Reliability and/or quality? I want an honest review cuz im thinking changing my husky for an 18' beta but im not convinced yet.

I changed from a Ktm 300xc with PDS to a beta 300rr

Do I like the beta better?
Yes, the beta short seat height and stability inspires confidence. I love the power delivery. It is linear but the power delivers more in the mid and high range.

Handling?
It does handle different. The bike wants you to stand up. It does turn slower, so there is an adjustment period. I ride the tight woods of the east coast, and it didn't take me more than 3 rides to figure it out.

Suspension?
Love my suspension. Better than any other out of the box suspension I have had. It's better than any other tuned suspension I have had. I'm 168lbs

Reliability?
Engine reliability, great. Rock solid.

Quality?
Being honest, Ktm has beta beat here. The engine is quality on the beta, but it's everything else. My computer broke. My plastics have all snapped. Fork protectors cutting into my fork tubes. Mud flap cuts into swing arm.... etc.

Fit and finish and quality are my only gripes. But all the positives outweigh those negatives.

Edited by jpbova
  • Like 1

I've owned 8 KTM's, 4 GasGas, and many other bikes.  Just sold a completely dialed 300xc (including Kreft suspension) to pick my new Beta 390 rrs.  

Couldn't be happier.  Beta motor, handling, and suspension are top of the class.  It feels like they built the bike for a real rider.  Not necessarily a AA harescramble bike, but a real bike for a real rider.  Comfortable, nimble and planted at the same time. 

Even some of the little things like a solid e-start system, Nissin brakes, Trailtech voyage stock, etc. are really nice.  

There's a few things I don't like. Ridiculous stock turn signals, not a fan of the Michelin tires. 

Beta has put together a great package.  

I think if you rave about the stock suspension (or dislike for that matter), you should include your ready to ride weight! :)

Edited by basalt

3 minutes ago, basalt said:

I think if you rave about the stock suspension (or dislike for that matter), you should include your ready to ride weight! :)

edited to include my weight

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, basalt said:

My 300xc with cc forks were done by Kreft specifically for my ability, terrain, weight, etc.  They were awesome. I've had full Ohlins, KYB, Zokes, Showa, etc. 

My stock 390rrs without even setting sag yet is really good and I'm 220lbs.  I haven't pushed the suspension yet as far as speed. But have hit some nasty rocky terrain and it's a really good suspension package.  Of course, I'll do springs for my weight, but I'm very impressed so far. Maybe not best for full high speed harescramble or whoops, but for average A/B rider, the Sachs seems to work great. I know a lot of improvement has been made over the past few years.

43 minutes ago, firffighter said:

My 300xc with cc forks were done by Kreft specifically for my ability, terrain, weight, etc.  They were awesome. I've had full Ohlins, KYB, Zokes, Showa, etc. 

My stock 390rrs without even setting sag yet is really good and I'm 220lbs.  I haven't pushed the suspension yet as far as speed. But have hit some nasty rocky terrain and it's a really good suspension package.  Of course, I'll do springs for my weight, but I'm very impressed so far. Maybe not best for full high speed harescramble or whoops, but for average A/B rider, the Sachs seems to work great. I know a lot of improvement has been made over the past few years.

I would think at that weight (I'm 225 lbs w/o gear) you would be blowing through the stroke. Anything over 2nd gear half throttle on mine with .50 springs and the forks were begging for mercy. I don't know how different the '16 and '17 valving is though or what changes will be made for '18.

Edited by basalt

25 minutes ago, basalt said:

I would think at that weight (I'm 225 lbs w/o gear) you would be blowing through the stroke. Anything over 2nd gear half throttle on mine with .50 springs and the forks were begging for mercy. I don't know how different the '16 and '17 valving is though or what changes will be made for '18.

Not so far.  Was really surprised actually at how the suspension was holding up with my weight.

If you look at the Beta spring chart, the '17 390 springs are good up to 195 lbs.  So, not ridiculously too far off.

Quality?
Being honest, Ktm has beta beat here. The engine is quality on the beta, but it's everything else. My computer broke. My plastics have all snapped. Fork protectors cutting into my fork tubes. Mud flap cuts into swing arm.... etc.

I agree with you. Thats the only thing i dislike from the beta. They just look destroyed after a few years. Ktm seems to have better quality on plastics etc. It is the only that keeps me from buying a beta.

The Beta is tough bike you can beat on and keep for a few years, a few extra lbs in the right places do that for you. My '13 has been through it all for over 300 hrs. , converted to a 250 this past year and still going strong on the original lower end. Personally I like a CC fork, had problems with the CC Zokes but now have KYB SSS fitted. The shock is good and can be valved to preference easily. Nothing else in particular is weak or problematic. The estart is still flawless, unlike even the new KTMs. The wiring is somewhat poor but so are most Euro bikes compared to Japaneese. I pulled most of it off anyway and cleaned up what was left. Plastic is temporary, I don't consider that a gauge for quality. Polysport makes more flexible plastic in different colors now anyway. Overall it's been a very easy bike to own and maintain. The only reason I will not buy a new one soon is because I have this one dialed in and it's so solid.

Still have and ride my 09 KTM 300 XCW (when the Beta is 10/7 for whatever reason, such as major maintenance) and like it. However, the Beta handling to me is superior, probably due to the slightly smaller cockpit. Yes, it's slightly heavier but you'd never know it when riding it. KTM build quality does get the slight nod, but overall my Beta gives me more confidence in the technical stuff. I'd get another Beta 300 in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RaynerMatar94 said:

Are you talking about you riding a 2017 Husky now  and going to a Beta? or an earlier Husky and going to a Beta?.. Are you talking about a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke and what kind of riding do you do? All the brands are great and it depends on model and class and what type of terrain and riding you are talking about. The before 17 2 stroke husky enduro compared to Beta 2 stroke enduro's .. it's a slam dunk to choose Beta to me. It's close if you are riding say a 17 300 Husky 2 stroke. I'd probably keep my husky then.. but I'd still prefer a lower seat height bike for technical riding I do.. but if doing hare scrambles that are more wide open it's not as big a deal. 4 stroke and the particular sizes of bikes make the comparisons different again.. There are differences that depend on your priorities.  For me the overall lower seat heights on Beta and the linear torquey motor  and great hookup .. along with a bike that turns are big items. KTM and husky are great..gasgas good too but not sure about how new.  So what do you have as far as a husky and what are you looking for as an improvement on what you have? I wouldn't change bikes unless I saw something in another brand and model that is better than what I have and it's worth spending the money to get that improvement.  If I didn't have a bike and was starting from scratch in getting a new bike there's no doubt I'd get a Beta but if I had a newer bike that was all set up for me and worked well I'm not sure I'd buy. Is your Husky set up well for you? suspension done for you etc with all your guards and is it working well?.. or are you missing something that you are feeling you are missing with your bike? Some of the bigger benefits of Beta is the BYOB program where you can customize your bike and have it set up before you get it.. another big deal is a 6 month warranty for the rr and a year warranty for the street legal Beta.. The looks of the Beta are nice.. but Husky is nice too.. The seat  height is a big improvement to me..and I'm 6'1". I just like a lower bike..and I got a thicker softer seat anyway. I'd say husky and ktm moved a tiny bit forward on the counter balancer on the 2 strokes but I wouldn't get a husky because it has a counterbalancer now that I have my Beta 2 stroke. Beta is cheaper and there's more bang for your buck to me.. IDK ... it's up to you I would keep my husky if it's working good and relatively new. I'd go to Beta when I was ready for other elements I don't have with husky.

All of this changes dramatically  with the model you are looking at. It's so radically different choosing between an xtrainer and a 500 RS or a 125 enduro.. give us more info.

Are you talking about you riding a 2017 Husky now  and going to a Beta? or an earlier Husky and going to a Beta?.. Are you talking about a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke and what kind of riding do you do? All the brands are great and it depends on model and class and what type of terrain and riding you are talking about. The before 17 2 stroke husky enduro compared to Beta 2 stroke enduro's .. it's a slam dunk to choose Beta to me. It's close if you are riding say a 17 300 Husky 2 stroke. I'd probably keep my husky then.. but I'd still prefer a lower seat height bike for technical riding I do.. but if doing hare scrambles that are more wide open it's not as big a deal. 4 stroke and the particular sizes of bikes make the comparisons different again.. There are differences that depend on your priorities.  For me the overall lower seat heights on Beta and the linear torquey motor  and great hookup .. along with a bike that turns are big items. KTM and husky are great..gasgas good too but not sure about how new.  So what do you have as far as a husky and what are you looking for as an improvement on what you have? I wouldn't change bikes unless I saw something in another brand and model that is better than what I have and it's worth spending the money to get that improvement.  If I didn't have a bike and was starting from scratch in getting a new bike there's no doubt I'd get a Beta but if I had a newer bike that was all set up for me and worked well I'm not sure I'd buy. Is your Husky set up well for you? suspension done for you etc with all your guards and is it working well?.. or are you missing something that you are feeling you are missing with your bike? Some of the bigger benefits of Beta is the BYOB program where you can customize your bike and have it set up before you get it.. another big deal is a 6 month warranty for the rr and a year warranty for the street legal Beta.. The looks of the Beta are nice.. but Husky is nice too.. The seat  height is a big improvement to me..and I'm 6'1". I just like a lower bike..and I got a thicker softer seat anyway. I'd say husky and ktm moved a tiny bit forward on the counter balancer on the 2 strokes but I wouldn't get a husky because it has a counterbalancer now that I have my Beta 2 stroke. Beta is cheaper and there's more bang for your buck to me.. IDK ... it's up to you I would keep my husky if it's working good and relatively new. I'd go to Beta when I was ready for other elements I don't have with husky.
All of this changes dramatically  with the model you are looking at. It's so radically different choosing between an xtrainer and a 500 RS or a 125 enduro.. give us more info.

You're right. I own a 16 te 250 right now. Its set up for me and i really love my bike. Im 5' 10' im been running for 3 years. Ive owned a 12' ktm 250 xcw and the husky now. I wanted to try the beta because all of the good things ive heard. I dont want to change mine right now. I think for next year its time for a change and there are so many good bikes out there for 2018 i dont know which one to choose
  • Like 1

There's a big difference between a 2016 Husky (non MX) and a 2017-2018. I have rode the new KTM frames and they are very good, much better then the 2016 Husky's. The days of these exotics being nigh and day better are gone. KTM branded bikes in 2017 closed the gap in all the areas they were lacking. Personally if you race and was looking at a 4t then hands down a KTM branded bike. Otherwise either brand (s) will get you what you are looking for so pick a price, color and dealer.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RaynerMatar94 said:

You're right. I own a 16 te 250 right now. Its set up for me and i really love my bike. Im 5' 10' im been running for 3 years. Ive owned a 12' ktm 250 xcw and the husky now. I wanted to try the beta because all of the good things ive heard. I dont want to change mine right now. I think for next year its time for a change and there are so many good bikes out there for 2018 i dont know which one to chooseemoji26.png

So keep what you have till you are feeling the need to upgrade to something better. I had my 01 cr 250 honda that I loved for over a decade but at a certain point even though the bike was great.. I kept looking for what was better and after modding out my cr there wasn't much.. later the lure of 50 more cc's , estart and 6 speed became more important to me. I wouldn't go to a yz250x .. I'd keep my modded for enduro Honda if I wanted a modified 5 speed mx to trail bike . I had that already.  I had gotten my fill of overkill searching out info on what my next 2 stroke enduro would be. I also had gasgas 300, ktm 300 and Beta 300 in the range of bikes and I'm happy Beta won out for having all the benefits of what I wanted. It's been better than expected. Since you are 5'10" the lower seat height is going to be a big improvement for you. It's a great improvement for me and I'm 6'1". That's if you are riding technical. MX or wide open trails.. no big deal at all. I had my cr and my gasgas 300 after having my Beta 525 RS so even thinking of going to a higher seat height for a brand new 2 stroke ktm  300 just wasn't acceptable to me..and lowering seemed lame too possibly screwing up the handling and original design. I hate that all the newer bikes have such a thin  seat.. then it's frame below. The lower seat height on my Beta worked out great as I got a taller seat and it still gives..is more ergonomic for me and comfortable and still lower than ktm and husky when I sit on my bike.. The foam I got is soft/medium .. That would depend on what choice one wanted for aftermarket foam.. if they wanted. I have heard that the newest Beta has softer foam compared to the 2 by 4 hard foam of much earlier years. If I was shorter I'd want a lower bike even more. 

So you have a 16 husky 300 and you are happy.. That's your answer to me.  for now... I'm always lurking in the other threads for all the top bikes too.. just to see what is new and if I'd want to get it too.. not so far.