What's the best way to corner a 2 stroke

I currently race a 85 and I was wondering what's the best way to corner it because I have seen some people go into the corner hold the clutch rev it up then dump the clutch coming out of the corner. Not sure what the fastest way is for a 2 stroke

• Like 1

I currently race a 85 and I was wondering what's the best way to corner it because I have seen some people go into the corner hold the clutch rev it up then dump the clutch coming out of the corner. Not sure what the fastest way is for a 2 stroke

personally I dont race but I would say if it were my rm250 I would go high because of the top end...

The best way to corner a 2-stroke?  I use a whip and a chair.  Don't show any fear.   Two-strokes can sense fear and go bezerk.  Just keep backing them up nice and slow until they are cornered.

Honestly I ride my 2-stroke pretty much the same as my 4-stroke.  But I don't ride MX and I completely suck so maybe the best technique is different.  I'd say the only real difference I notice is braking before the turn because of the 4-stroke's engine braking.  On the small bore 2 strokes they might be fanning the clutch on the exit to get the motor back up on the pipe.   I'm sure one of the faster (albeit less funny) guys will shed some light.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

Read all of this guy's thread. He was pretty darn good, and probably still is. I think he can help. He was the 1974 500cc Supercross champion, 2nd in the 500cc outdoors in 1976, and 3rd in 500cc outdoors in 1979. I saw him race against the best in the world at Unadilla in 1977, and had the privilege to actually race against him in Florida in 1992. Yes, he won easily.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/profile/30906-gary-semics/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

The best way to corner a 2-stroke?  I use a whip and a chair.  Don't show any fear.   Two-strokes can sense fear and go bezerk.  Just keep backing them up nice and slow until they are cornered.

Honestly I ride my 2-stroke pretty much the same as my 4-stroke.  But I don't ride MX and I completely suck so maybe the best technique is different.  I'd say the only real difference I notice is braking before the turn because of the 4-stroke's engine braking.  On the small bore 2 strokes they might be fanning the clutch on the exit to get the motor back up on the pipe.   I'm sure one of the faster (albeit less funny) guys will shed some light.

Doc

How to I feather the clutch though?

2 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Read all of this guy's thread. He was pretty darn good, and probably still is. I think he can help. He was the 1974 500cc Supercross champion, 2nd in the 500cc outdoors in 1976, and 3rd in 500cc outdoors in 1979. I saw him race against the best in the world at Unadilla in 1977, and had the privilege to actually race against him in Florida in 1992. Yes, he won easily.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/profile/30906-gary-semics/

Unadilla is my neck of the woods but born in 77 lol raced there many many times as amature ofcourse.  Won some good races there this is from last time I was there. Great place to race :thumbsup: yes Gary is one of the best never watched any of his stuff but he deffenetly one of the best. To the op. Far as cornering goes look forward get up towards the front of your bike more. Try that and practice make figure 8 track even . You gotta learn how to ride that bike on the gas useing clutch to keep engine singing :ride: practice practice practice 

20170209_192457.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Damien_Kawasaki said:

How to I feather the clutch though?

Get one of these. I always carry a spare just in case.:rolleyes:

8a4155819acffffea6c10d73b50e9d11--eagle-feather-tattoos-feather-tattoo-design.jpg.5f93691f47b7c4133bedbaaea948bff9.jpg

If your anything like me, and I ride a CR250, I lose speed right before the corner and then dump it to power through. Just me though and I'm not any pro lol. Or even sit just under the powerband then juice it up right in the mid section of the corner would be my best guess

2 hours ago, Mr.mudman112 said:

If your anything like me, and I ride a CR250, I lose speed right before the corner and then dump it to power through. Just me though and I'm not any pro lol. Or even sit just under the powerband then juice it up right in the mid section of the corner would be my best guess

Yeah I was doing that I started feathering the clutch by revving it a title and hold the clutch in when I didn't want power and vise versa I was wondering if that would wear my clutch out faster because in theory that's pretty much dumping it

Find the outside rut, get in it, hold it wide, and commit. That's how your gonna get that 85 going fast around a track.
  • Like 1

Hell, when you get on a track it's about commitment. There's not much pussy footing around a track, its speed or bust!