So I live in Cook County and i was looking into buying a dual sport, however i wont be driving on roads until i get my license(1year). So i was wondering when i buy the bike do i need to get insurance for it anyway and license and all that. Or I dont need to, since ill be only riding on private trails and forests. Im thinking of buying the Yamaha 250r, 2016 or 17.

If you can get the dealer to convert the title to a road title that is the easy way. If not you can convert later, or here in Ohio you can. I would buy some sort of insurance converted or not. That's the only way to have theft coverage.

11 minutes ago, i4bikes said:

If you can get the dealer to convert the title to a road title that is the easy way. If not you can convert later, or here in Ohio you can. I would buy some sort of insurance converted or not. That's the only way to have theft coverage.

Ok, Im sorry if you misunderstood the question or if im misunderstanding you but, the dirtbike is already dual sport but if im only gonna be riding off road and not on streets, so im asking if i can buy the bike without any insurance, and registration. Since i dont want to be paying to register it, and i dont have a license yet.

In Idaho, it appears you can ride off-road only with no insurance. Keep in mind, if you let your friend ride it as nd they get hurt, you hit someone else, or run over someone's cat, you may be held liable. If you are under 18 and title is in parent's name, they are liable.
My KTM street legal is $240/yr. for liability. To add my 18 y.o. son's CRF250X was $14/yr. extra.
Not sure where you are at, but one of your first lessons in life as you get to driving age is you do not ride/drive w/o insurance. Sorry, don't mean to sound like an old man.
Call your local DMV and they can answer your question about legality.

Farmboi, I would suggest going ahead and getting title ran. Also go ahead and get plates. You will want liability and theft protection on insurance because homeowners insurance doesn't cover a vehicle with a title and plate. Cheers 

If you are buying new, in Illinois the dealer will ask you for proof of insurance unless you are paying in full. If you are financing, you'll need proof of insurance and they will also register it at the time of purchase.

If you buy it from a private seller, if they are smart, they will hedge you go to the local currency exchange to change the title over to your name. And, that being said, the currency exchange will then register it because Crook County wants their cut. However, if the private seller doesn't care whether or not you register it time title it in your name until a later date, then they will just sign it over to you and nobody knows you have it but you and the previous owner.

The reason I would make sure you get the title changed over to your name, if I were the seller, is if something happens to you, or anyone or anything else, that person's name is still registered as the owner. Make sense?

2 hours ago, Farmboi said:

Ok, Im sorry if you misunderstood the question or if im misunderstanding you but, the dirtbike is already dual sport but if im only gonna be riding off road and not on streets, so im asking if i can buy the bike without any insurance, and registration. Since i dont want to be paying to register it, and i dont have a license yet.

I don't know if your definition of dual sport or the model your quoted are street legal from a dealer. Lots of riders are riding bikes that were sold off-road only and changed them to street legal bikes. Anyway the other replies are good advice and that really is my point. There is not any short cut or money saving tricks and still have the actual owner protected from theft or other loss. If your buying a bike that is not street legal and you want it to be it is easer for you to buy it converted. In any case you don't need to have a plate on it but you still need insurance IMO. Hope that clears it up.

Have fun and good luck.

Edited by i4bikes

Oh, ok yeah that cleared it up. Thanks to all of you guys.

I don't think most of the responders understand that you're a minor and that you're asking about a bike that is factory street legal.

As long as you don't put a plate on it( or ride on the road) you technically don't need to insure it.
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2017 at 3:19 PM, dgspencer said:

In Idaho, it appears you can ride off-road only with no insurance. Keep in mind, if you let your friend ride it as nd they get hurt, you hit someone else, or run over someone's cat, you may be held liable. If you are under 18 and title is in parent's name, they are liable.
My KTM street legal is $240/yr. for liability. To add my 18 y.o. son's CRF250X was $14/yr. extra.
Not sure where you are at, but one of your first lessons in life as you get to driving age is you do not ride/drive w/o insurance. Sorry, don't mean to sound like an old man.
Call your local DMV and they can answer your question about legality.

You need to shop that. My KTM 500 was $85 a year for full coverage in Kansas, now $98 a year in Arizona.