Fork spring spacer under spring seat question

I have a set of fork springs that use about a 20mm spacer under the spring seat on kyb sss forks. Is there any neagatives to this set up? Does it matter that the seat is moved down that far?

What year, make and model of bike?

Depending on models and years, (2-stroke/4-stroke as well) 'SSS' forks have used 2 different springs lengths,

your forks may require the longer springs and someone installed shorter ones and made up the difference with spacers?

If that's the case, thinking you might get coil bind (spring compresses and becomes solid) before the forks reach maximum travel?

Measure:

-the overall length of your springs

-the amount of spring preload  (should fall between 4mm and 15mm or so)

Edited by mlatour

I have a set of springs with spacer from my 2014 yz 450. They are 455mm spring with 37mm spacer. I think they were like this cause yamaha changed length that year to 497mm and no one had them at the time. I am getting some 2011/2012 kx 450 forks which use a 473mm spring. I was gonna have these spacers turned down to 18mm if running a spacer under the seat is no big deal cause I already have them. I dont know if running the seat further down effects performance or changes anything. If it does I will just buy proper springs

It affects when the secondary damping comes in , as it's position sensitive

That is what I was wondering. I will just buy proper springs. Thanks