Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey folks ran into some trouble and i need some.advice. bought a new fly helmet. Took it out of the box,tested the fit. Everything was good. Planned to use this while trail riding. I placed it back inside the helmet bag that cones with the purchase. I left it with my other helmets maybe for a few months (dont trail ride that much). Now i take it out and its coverd in some sticky thing. Simple wiping doesn't seem to help. I dont want to use a too strong cleaner before i damage the helmet surface . Has anyone ever had this happen to their helmet and if so how did it get cleaned. 20170706_193402.jpg20170706_193436.jpg20170706_193418.jpg20170706_193434.jpg

 

Looking at the pics. The bak of the helmet was outside the duffel bag and it remained undamaged. Any assistance much appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, did some chemicals fall on it? Or it's been in an extremely moist environment. Looks ruined to me.

Edited by kNewc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that looks like mold and mildew from setting with the crickets and spiders in a very damp basement. Hit it with some Simple Green to start with and see if that takes it off. It won't hurt the finish, and will take just about any normal crud off of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rmkillasan said:

 

Hey folks ran into some trouble and i need some.advice. bought a new fly helmet. Took it out of the box,tested the fit. Everything was good. Planned to use this while trail riding. I placed it back inside the helmet bag that cones with the purchase. I left it with my other helmets maybe for a few months (dont trail ride that much). Now i take it out and its coverd in some sticky thing. Simple wiping doesn't seem to help. I dont want to use a too strong cleaner before i damage the helmet surface . Has anyone ever had this happen to their helmet and if so how did it get cleaned. 20170706_193402.jpg20170706_193436.jpg20170706_193418.jpg20170706_193434.jpg

 

Looking at the pics. The bak of the helmet was outside the duffel bag and it remained undamaged. Any assistance much appreciated.

 

 

Def looks like mold to me. Diluted simple green for shell. Remove all fabric and foam. Wash fabric with oxy clean. Not sure how to clean foam. If that is in fact mold, you don't want to breathe that stuff in.. Mold can fuck your day up

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to be very, very careful.  If you polish your helmet too much you'll go blind.  Or so I've been told.

Doc

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was actually on a.shelf in.my garage. Pretty annoyed it happened as my ither helmets are fine ans especially as this ia a brand new unused helmet. Not even some brow sweat . I have tried soaking the visor in some detergent as a test piece. I have scrubbed but no.good. visor is now soaking in some diluted bleach prob 15 hrs now. The fly helmet does have a different texture to.my bell and fox. The fabric and foam is like new.and unaffected. I have taken it out and will wash it for.good measure. Just the plastic outer is.cruddy . Will.move on to.stronger chemicals next

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you live that has mold that feeds on helmet finish resin?  Man your mold is hard core.

I had my lab puppy out swimming in the lake and on the ride home he got the pickup seats damp. The next time I went to the shop to use that truck, it had that white mold stuff all over everything in the interior.  I cleaned on that mess for days.

Did you try hydrogen peroxide on it?

 

Edited by wielywilly-g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodd news folks. I had the helmet submerged in some diluted bleach and oxygen. About 10hrs later i used a scothbrite pad and gave it a good scrubbing with some ajax. All molds or whatever that gooy sticky thing was has now left my helmet!!!. Ill leave it out in the sun for a few hours to heat up just for safety measure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.... uhh ... all these chemicals you're using are not friendly to the foam that's going to save your head in a crash ....

 

...time for a new helmet.  Take better care of the next one. :excuseme:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SnowMule said:

.... uhh ... all these chemicals you're using are not friendly to the foam that's going to save your head in a crash ....

 

...time for a new helmet.  Take better care of the next one. :excuseme:

So true. A degreaser from a paint /auto body supply shop may have worked or maybe it coulda have been buffed off without having to soak. Scrubbing it toooo much might leave the helmet covered in scratches. If it is mold I would just pay for a new helmet, that $hit will get you RELLY sick it's not worth it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20170708_155519.jpg20170708_155515.jpg20170708_155504.jpg

I have only used diluted bleach thus far. Possibly 2 oz in 5 gallons. I dont seethat having any effect on the foam. If i had s oaked in degreaser maybe 🤣
There were no scratches left. Regardless ill still be changing helmets at the end of the season.
Thanks all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 9, 2017 at 4:20 PM, rmkillasan said:

20170708_155519.jpg20170708_155515.jpg20170708_155504.jpg

I have only used diluted bleach thus far. Possibly 2 oz in 5 gallons. I dont seethat having any effect on the foam. If i had s oaked in degreaser maybe 🤣
There were no scratches left. Regardless ill still be changing helmets at the end of the season.
Thanks all.

Sorry for the miscommunication, I ment using degreaser to wipe off whatever was on the helmet and not scrubbing so hard to leave scratch marks. As well I ment if there was mold in the helmet you'd get sick from the mold n not from whatever chemical you soaked it in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×