Hatfield McCoy

Just came back from my very first trip there.  Keep in mind I'm a dirt novice, so balance out my opinion with that.

I was super impressed with what I saw/rode.  The trails are great and everyone in the area I was in was super friendly and they truly appreciate having folks come to the area and ride.  It's a boost to their economy.  We stayed in Man at The Depot Lodge.  Short ride to the Trailhead of Rockhouse.  Rockhouse is true to its name, pretty rock laden, but not horrible.  The "green" trail head routes are harder than an average green, in my opinion, others have said the same, but it was fine.  By comparison, I rode Pinnacle Creek on my last day there and the greens are truly flat and easy, whereas the Blues were equal to if not even a bit easier than Rockhouse's greens.  So it's kind of relative.

Considering that you can go to private trail systems and pay $20 to $30 for just a day, $50 for an out of state pass that gives you unlimited use for the calendar year is a deal.

My only complaint and it's a super minor one is that the whole system is two-way travel.  I kind of feel that the trail heads and connectors to towns should be two way, but they should consider the interior loops becoming one-way trails.  It's kind of sketchy coming up against ATV's or better bike riders who are hauling and you have some kind of close calls.  Other than that, it's the best place I've ridden so far.  This time of year certain sections do get a bit dusty, but the ridgeline routes are fine.  I'm definitely going back before the end of the year and will be buying 2018 passes for next year if that tells you anything.  Also, I'm a six to seven and a half hour drive from the systems and I still think it's well worth the travel.

Do a search in the threads, if you haven't already and you'll get tons of good information.

Edited by scridercoach
Clarification

I live 1 mile from the Buffalo trail and I'm the one who made trail 172 which is over 2 miles long and added 171 trail for another 3 miles. This trail now avoids all the sxs trails to top of mountain. the trails are tight as the weeds have really grown up but still rideable. if you need a guide give me a call .I have a route laid out that almost eliminates the sxs trails. can ride over 30 miles of single track and only hit a couple miles mile's of double at most. my cell is 859 953 0903. My name is Butch. I ride almost every weekend

Edited by ekymxracer

HM is great. I try to get down to it a couple of times a year. Its a 9+ hour one way drive for me, so the attraction is strong.

Riding into town to get gas and food and get to your hotel is great. Locals really support the sport, trails are great fun. They are rocky, and the mud is slick when wet. The trails always start in a town in a valley and go up on the mountains. Some of the initial trails are what I would label as mid-level, rocky and fairly steep. Often trails on the top of the mountain are easier than the trailhead trails.

Go, its great.