GPR Damper XR650R fit an XR650L

Hello All

I have read about Scotts system fitting xr650l but unsure about the GPR v2. A friend of mine has gpr stabilizer that is on a xr650R and was wondering if it will fit my xr650L.

Can the pin be installed off centre to clear the oil dip stick (i have xrs only temp guage one). Any one know fitment??

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Short answer is no. Fork tube diameters are not the same, so the GPR top clamp won't fit. Also the  GPR pin is mounted forward not back towards the dipstick on my R. Im sure the neck diameters are not the same either. 

so you say the main steering tube where the bottom collar bolts on to is a different diameter between XRR and XRL?

Also if the foward mount is long enough dont u tbink it will clear the igbition casting?

moving the speedo etc w spacers is easy. My main concern is is the unit being forward mount not clearing the castings of the XRL top triple clamp. And know ir telling me the main tube diameters are different??

The R frame is aluminum and the L frame is steel. I don't see why they would be the same size. I can take a pic of my GPR on my R. Maybe it will give you a better idea of what's different. I have the under bar mount FYI. 

The R frame is aluminum and the L frame is steel. I don't see why they would be the same size. I can take a pic of my GPR on my R. Maybe it will give you a better idea of what's different. I have the under bar mount FYI. 

yes please. take as many reference pics as u can. Thanks

Theres no bolt way. That wont take endless searching and Im talking physically searching junkyards for this or that to just happen to be the size you need.

Yes this can be done. Machining and welding. Its easy if you have $10,000 worth of the right tools. If you live in SoCal I could put power steering on your xr...

Theres no bolt way. That wont take endless searching and Im talking physically searching junkyards for this or that to just happen to be the size you need.
Yes this can be done. Machining and welding. Its easy if you have $10,000 worth of the right tools. If you live in SoCal I could put power steering on your xr...

Seriously...if the frame tube is the same and the pin height clears via adjustment...the only thing to do is fab spacers for the instrument speedo as that will need to be brought forward. i am wonding if the steering tube is same OD and simple bolt on of bottom colar piece? Measuring my stock tripple looks like the pin will go past the ignition casting.

Same pics I was going to put up. If you call GPR, they will sell you individual components such as the pin mount if they make one for the L model. I had an older version GPR stabilizer and called them for a rebuild and parts, and they told me to send in my old stabilizer, and they would send me a new one, giving me a huge credit for my old stuff. One of the guys there has an R, so they understand what you're trying to accomplish. Just keep in mind that you still have to bolt the stabilizer to your triple clamp, and that clamp needs to accept the forks, smaller diameter on the L model.

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that you still have to bolt the stabilizer to your triple clamp, and that clamp needs to accept the forks, smaller diameter on the L model.

ya i saw those pics on net. they are all R model's. The above just answered my question that L steering tube is smaller than the R. i searched net and some say they are same OD and others say not...no straight answer.
Also the bar clamp is 7/8's i would assume that the 4 bolt spacing is the same between L and R.

I would not think R and L the same, but like AdamT  said give GPR a call, and you could probably get the correct components to make it work. The images I posted were the result of the R model, which I thought you requested. You could simply search with L model for images.

Yall are making it too hard for yourselves. Id have made my own ish, ridden it, and broken it already!

Top mount; if you cant find anything that works, you can make your own out 6" of steel angle iron. 

Pin; I dont see why a wr clamp would'nt fit. Regardless Id make my own faster than one would ship to me. The pin would work if it was a foot long. If you must mount the unit higher, then make a taller anchor pin. It rotating is your only issue. But easy enough to do. You could buy a longer bolt to replace what isnt long enough.

And theres also welding. If you dont want to remove it ever.

Same top triple angle iron mount. I have a vfr800fi with dirt bars with one on top triple. And an xr600r with dirt bars with one on top triple. The vfr I took original anchor base, and just cut a longer bolt to reach. The xr, same top triple mount. And welded a deep socket between stem and oil dipstick, and put a longer bolt to reach. You grind the tips of the bolt so the tips skinnier and wont pull through upwards. This allows that anchor bolt to just be floating in there so it can rotate but it cant be pulled out of the top. It goes nowhere, just works.

I could do this with scraps on my floor. Aluminum or steel. Noone sees me out in the desert, so I dont need a flashy I bought it like this system. I just need it to work.

Good luck youll enjoy it

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C
  • Like 1

I just cant afford much, but want everything! 

For the xr, the dampener I had in my crash was and still is awesome. I just dont like how I mounted it, my lower triple bent a few painful mms. So mounting there no more. But I did the top triple style on the vfr and since it has dirt bars, I couldn't put it at stem nut. So I just made what works. I haven't ridden the xr one yet, but it works. I like these for street. My all dirt xr doesnt have one but I havent needed it. I haven't been on dirt in awhile. Im still physically not there yet

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

7 minutes ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

I just cant afford much, but want everything! 

We are in the same boat. I was meaning it as a complement or passing on my nickname. Keep up the good ingenuity.

Yall are making it too hard for yourselves. Id have made my own ish, ridden it, and broken it already!
Top mount; if you cant find anything that works, you can make your own out 6" of steel angle iron. 
Pin; I dont see why a wr clamp would'nt fit. Regardless Id make my own faster than one would ship to me. The pin would work if it was a foot long. If you must mount the unit higher, then make a taller anchor pin. It rotating is your only issue. But easy enough to do. You could buy a longer bolt to replace what isnt long enough.
And theres also welding. If you dont want to remove it ever.
Same top triple angle iron mount. I have a vfr800fi with dirt bars with one on top triple. And an xr600r with dirt bars with one on top triple. The vfr I took original anchor base, and just cut a longer bolt to reach. The xr, same top triple mount. And welded a deep socket between stem and oil dipstick, and put a longer bolt to reach. You grind the tips of the bolt so the tips skinnier and wont pull through upwards. This allows that anchor bolt to just be floating in there so it can rotate but it cant be pulled out of the top. It goes nowhere, just works.
I could do this with scraps on my floor. Aluminum or steel. Noone sees me out in the desert, so I dont need a flashy I bought it like this system. I just need it to work.
Good luck youll enjoy it

Sounds good. i dont have the skills or equip as you do to the fab work as you mention above. all i have is acess to a used xr650r GPR unit that a friend wants to sell me, a rachet set, some washers for spacers and zip ties.
I contacted GPR and the detailed answer I received was "No it will not fit"...very informative

As i switch over from street 17" to dirt set up and came across this damper i thought i can make it work w my limited resources.

Does anyone know the differences in steering tube OD beyween the XR650L and XR650R? How much different xan they be uo front?

I feel you. If it hasnt been manufactured for it, their answer would be no. All you need is an angle grinder, cut a section of angle iron as wide as bar clamp hole to bar clamp hole...I have aftermarket pro taper clamps which are flat on top...a must have, if your clamps now are flat dont trip. Drill clamp bolt holes. Get a longer bolt, and stack three or four washers where the bolt goes so the angle iron sits flat. Now measure center. Now drill holes to mount the stabilizer center, stack washers under it to lift it to clear the arm. Fasten with nylock nuts. 

Now figure out the anchor. Welding being the easiest. But I think youd find a an anchor diameter wide enough to work, if its tall enough is the question...Ill help you on the easiest, least tool way to do this. Lemme think. The amount of welding is so minimal tho, its cost next to nothing. Find a deep aluminum socket. Use an m10 bolt. Grind the top to fit in the stabilizers arm. Get two tig boogers flicked on the sockets base to the frame and put the top triple mount with stabilizer next and last. Done

The R and the L have completely different triple clamps and frames and the mounting hardware is not compatible. While I cant speak for GPR I imagine they would sell you the correct mounting hardware and you could use the existing damper- IF they make it for that bike. Just make sure your end cost is worth it. If your only saving 50-100 bucks on a used, old part it may not be worth it over buying everything new.

Thanks-

Eric