XR650L Mikuni TM42-6 Flatside Pumper Jetting

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a brand new XR650L. I have already de-snorkeled and de-smogged it, have a K&N air filter, powerbomb header and FMF Q4 Exhaust.  Also installed is a stage 1 dynojet kit.  It works great but I find myself craving a more responsive ride so I have decided to upgrade my carb to the Mikuni TM42-6 flatside pumper.  Its hard to find a good source on proper jetting for this application.  The distributor I ordered it from says it comes "mostly" tuned for my application.  Anyone have any advice on what jetting works best for this setup? Is there any other upgrades that you would consider essential to compliment the higher performance carburetor?  I'm pretty new to all this and will appreciate any advice you guys have to offer

I'm at sea level. 160 main , 17.5 pilot  , 1.1 air , needle middle clip position , full exhaust and vented airbox among other things.

Great thanks.  When you say vented airbox do you mean just de snorkeled or have you opened it up even more than that? How big of an improvement would say you gained over the stock CV carb?

I've got the UniFilter  airbox vents too.  The throttle response is  obviously better and  the midrange torque increased also.

Awesome I didn't even know they existed I already ordered some lol.  Thanks.

• Like 1