Jump to content

Suspension Bucket List

Recommended Posts

Vitalmx is starting a kit suspension test this week, in the meantime I though some of you might enjoy some suspension porn :censored:

s1200_kitcrfall.jpg

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Vitalmx is starting a kit suspension test this week, in the meantime I though some of you might enjoy some suspension porn :censored:

s1200_kitcrfall.jpg

Will be fun to see the outcome. "A" kits are in a league of their own! My Ohlins Flow shock is really good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While VitalMX has still not released this suspension test, Gas Gas has just stepped up the game big time. 1st they made the KYB's stock, now they are offering a Enduro GP edition (great name) with DLC coated KYB's. There is a Technical Touch decal on them, so I don't think this is a OEM KYB program, but most likely modified after the fact. How much else is modified isn't mentioned, but these have my attention big time. Gas Gas has obviously gone to extreme measure to work this out, as having a 3rd party modify suspension is more akin to Beta's BYOB program, and is a very unusual step for a run of production models.

 To top it off, they are including the highest level most desired triple clamps too! The X-trig Rocs are being used by almost every factory team, and are the current works state of the art. Again, Gas Gas has knocked it out of the park. 

 Gas Gas is going where few if any have gone before, top of the line components on the "race edition". I have been an advocate for this on a Beta as many know. They took a step backwards (in spec) when they dropped the Zokes (well known issues). I can't find any MSRP on the new model, it will be interesting to see the difference.

 On a related note, Gas Gas has been a step ahead of Beta all year so far in the Endurocross series, on the 2t. I'm not sure what's going on there, but Beta's seem to be off their game with the newest model in that series? Neither Gerston nor Cullins has been up front, so I am concerned that they are "not comfortable" on the current setup. 

http://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/2782-first-look-gas-gas-enduro-gp-model

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/news/777-gas-gas-enduro-gp-2018-special-world-champion.html

 

171011_gg_enduro_gp_sta_0014.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

While VitalMX has still not released this suspension test, Gas Gas has just stepped up the game big time. 1st they made the KYB's stock, now they are offering a Enduro GP edition (great name) with DLC coated KYB's. There is a Technical Touch decal on them, so I don't think this is a OEM KYB program, but most likely modified after the fact. How much else is modified isn't mentioned, but these have my attention big time. Gas Gas has obviously gone to extreme measure to work this out, as having a 3rd party modify suspension is more akin to Beta's BYOB program, and is a very unusual step for a run of production models.

 To top it off, they are including the highest level most desired triple clamps too! The X-trig Rocs are being used by almost every factory team, and are the current works state of the art. Again, Gas Gas has knocked it out of the park. 

 Gas Gas is going where few if any have gone before, top of the line components on the "race edition". I have been an advocate for this on a Beta as many know. They took a step backwards (in spec) when they dropped the Zokes (well known issues). I can't find any MSRP on the new model, it will be interesting to see the difference.

 On a related note, Gas Gas has been a step ahead of Beta all year so far in the Endurocross series, on the 2t. I'm not sure what's going on there, but Beta's seem to be off their game with the newest model in that series? Neither Gerston nor Cullins has been up front, so I am concerned that they are "not comfortable" on the current setup. 

http://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/2782-first-look-gas-gas-enduro-gp-model

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/news/777-gas-gas-enduro-gp-2018-special-world-champion.html

 

171011_gg_enduro_gp_sta_0014.jpg

How much? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

While VitalMX has still not released this suspension test, Gas Gas has just stepped up the game big time. 1st they made the KYB's stock, now they are offering a Enduro GP edition (great name) with DLC coated KYB's. There is a Technical Touch decal on them, so I don't think this is a OEM KYB program, but most likely modified after the fact. How much else is modified isn't mentioned, but these have my attention big time. Gas Gas has obviously gone to extreme measure to work this out, as having a 3rd party modify suspension is more akin to Beta's BYOB program, and is a very unusual step for a run of production models.

 To top it off, they are including the highest level most desired triple clamps too! The X-trig Rocs are being used by almost every factory team, and are the current works state of the art. Again, Gas Gas has knocked it out of the park. 

 Gas Gas is going where few if any have gone before, top of the line components on the "race edition". I have been an advocate for this on a Beta as many know. They took a step backwards (in spec) when they dropped the Zokes (well known issues). I can't find any MSRP on the new model, it will be interesting to see the difference.

 On a related note, Gas Gas has been a step ahead of Beta all year so far in the Endurocross series, on the 2t. I'm not sure what's going on there, but Beta's seem to be off their game with the newest model in that series? Neither Gerston nor Cullins has been up front, so I am concerned that they are "not comfortable" on the current setup. 

http://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/2782-first-look-gas-gas-enduro-gp-model

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/news/777-gas-gas-enduro-gp-2018-special-world-champion.html

 

171011_gg_enduro_gp_sta_0014.jpg

Here's what I want to know, what is the definition of "A" kit suspension. I see that thrown around a lot these days in regards to many brands. As far as I know that's just what Showa calls their almost works stuff like what Pro Circuit team uses. 

As far as the EX team I can tell you Ty is extremely happy with what Beta Factory Suspension has set up for him this year. His results haven't been what we where looking for this year, but the bike has been good. Last year he finished 12th in pro points and that's where he sits right now so  no down turn. Of course what we're really looking for is progress and it hasn't happened like we hoped this season. But hey he beat 2 of the 3 GG guys at the last round- LOL

Also Max has been hurt for most of the season. He's finally starting to feel better and pulled off a 5th in the last round...beating all the GG guys. 

Edited by ccullins
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casing-daily said:

I can't find any MSRP on the new model, it will be interesting to see the difference.

I'm guessing around $1500?

Edited by Johnny Depp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:56 AM, hawaiidirtrider said:

Beta%20AB-10048.jpg

Sachs is under the radar for sure. Fox shocks are also left out (now apparently discontinuing production). The (supposed) test is for high end replacements, not stock. Sachs offers none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Sachs is under the radar for sure. Fox shocks are also left out (now apparently discontinuing production). The (supposed) test is for high end replacements, not stock. Sachs offers none.

Well there’s ohlins.. ? For the sake of just changing ? Just to blow money in the hope it might be so great?

but what is high end? I kind of think how much of a difference this all makes? Id think the suspension guys who work on a wide variety of suspension might have the better insight here. Still like Tye likes his suspension and Holcombe is racing regular Sachs cc that come stock on race edition Beta tuned for him. I’m not biting on just buying some suspension that is supposed to be great and cost alot and is just different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

To top it off, they are including the highest level most desired triple clamps too! The X-trig Rocs are being used by almost every factory team, and are the current works state of the art. Again, Gas Gas has knocked it out of the park. 

They are $799 retail.

xtrig.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ccullins said:

Here's what I want to know, what is the definition of "A" kit suspension. I see that thrown around a lot these days in regards to many brands. As far as I know that's just what Showa calls their almost works stuff like what Pro Circuit team uses. 

You are correct, A-kit has become a slang term synonymous with "works" forks.

 Only Showa makes a brand name A-kit, and AFAIK only offers them to Pro teams, and Honda's team riders have ended up on KYB in many cases, although factory pressure is being applied to get them all back on Showa's.

What Pro-Circuit offers isn't even officially known as A-kit, hence they are marketed as "Works". They are primarily for 250 class riders who have a production rule and price cap for suspension. The premier class typically runs an even higher spec.

Originally A-kit meant only limited production $10k plus forks with larger components from tubes to valves and rods, with high tech coatings everywhere and machined axle lugs which are unobtainable to the common person regardless of the size of your wallet. Because of the notoriety, everyone used/copied the term A-kit for "high end" forks.

 B-kits used to mean modified production forks including coating everything and replacing most internals.

The terminology has gotten lost on a very complex set of options and choices. I have no idea what is inside of the GG forks, but Technical Touch is the authorized KYB supplier in the U.S. and Europe and is the "decal" and brand name to be expected on "high end" KYB's. http://www.technical-touch.com/products/kyb-racing-parts

http://kyb-europe.com/about/

 

showa.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

While VitalMX has still not released this suspension test, Gas Gas has just stepped up the game big time. 1st they made the KYB's stock, now they are offering a Enduro GP edition (great name) with DLC coated KYB's. There is a Technical Touch decal on them, so I don't think this is a OEM KYB program, but most likely modified after the fact. How much else is modified isn't mentioned, but these have my attention big time. Gas Gas has obviously gone to extreme measure to work this out, as having a 3rd party modify suspension is more akin to Beta's BYOB program, and is a very unusual step for a run of production models.

 To top it off, they are including the highest level most desired triple clamps too! The X-trig Rocs are being used by almost every factory team, and are the current works state of the art. Again, Gas Gas has knocked it out of the park. 

 Gas Gas is going where few if any have gone before, top of the line components on the "race edition". I have been an advocate for this on a Beta as many know. They took a step backwards (in spec) when they dropped the Zokes (well known issues). I can't find any MSRP on the new model, it will be interesting to see the difference.

 On a related note, Gas Gas has been a step ahead of Beta all year so far in the Endurocross series, on the 2t. I'm not sure what's going on there, but Beta's seem to be off their game with the newest model in that series? Neither Gerston nor Cullins has been up front, so I am concerned that they are "not comfortable" on the current setup. 

http://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/2782-first-look-gas-gas-enduro-gp-model

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/news/777-gas-gas-enduro-gp-2018-special-world-champion.html

 

171011_gg_enduro_gp_sta_0014.jpg

Johnny .. I dont know about buying the shit in magazines as far as gasgas. Id double check as they regularly &%$#@! up on Beta information.  I’m glad Gasgas is around but no way would I get a new gasgas after having a Beta .,It’s trying to catch up but please. It’s just a hair better than the bullshit yamaha was trying to sell as far as the yz250x being”new”. You sure have some unrealistic expectations as far as Beta and racing. We have great riders and the reality is great riders and great bikes and teams don’t always win. It’s racing. There are tons of factors that go into racing that make who wins different. Where’s Hasker? His elbow is busted up.  Not even riding... Where’s Roczen? For example.

As far as Gasgas? I don’t care what magical suspension could be put on there Id buy a Beta before. Ok bike but it doesn’t compare. A dealer up the street is selling. It looks like a ktm with a red twinge. Hey and I like gasgas. I own one. 

Here’s new gasgas from up the street.To me a Beta is way better.

So they have a “gp” edition. That’s common. Like a 6 days or a race edition etc.. There’s Boano race editions. 

We do have BYOB for years now. Isn’t that head and shoulders above gasgas and all the other brands? Who can get custom suspension setup straight from the factory?

 

8AC42CB5-70C3-4F45-8D3E-1FB2726910D5.jpeg

F18EF964-9E87-423E-9271-76C67EDEFE2B.jpeg

7684BB9F-4305-434B-9F3B-F38A5F775722.jpeg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple other things on suspension for the team. As far as the coatings go, since the lower fork legs on the Sachs forks aren't coated they did up a set to see how they compared to the bare legs. They couldn't tell a difference at all. So it would be a total waste of money for the team to get them done. Seems like it's more of a status thing 

We also asked if they thought about running the Ohlins since now Beta USA is selling them. While that would be great the thing is there are 8 riders on the team. Each team rider would need at least 3 sets of suspension (one race bike, two practice bikes) plus what Beta would also have in the shop to work with. So your looking at about 28 sets of suspension! Obviously that would blow out the whole race team budget! 

While there is better and worse stuff out there, I totally believe any of the stock suspension that comes on bikes these days can be tuned and setup to make any normal rider happy  

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Beta 300 and a new GasGas 250 and the GasGas is just better in every way except for the e-start. We will see how well the GasGas holds up over the next season.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gas Gas quality has come along way in the last 15 years...my first Gasser trials bike was a hunk of junk, my newest trials bike is miles ahead in quality. I haven't seen one of the '18 Gasser's in person, but would strongly consider them if I was buying a new bike. I had to buy the race edition Beta to get the suspension I wanted...it's a big deal that the standard GasGas comes with CC Kayaba's. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammer41 said:

I have a Beta 300 and a new GasGas 250 and the GasGas is just better in every way except for the e-start. We will see how well the GasGas holds up over the next season.

 Care to elaborate? You don't come around here often, but I have come to respect your opinion.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no expert, but my Yamaha dealer is the owner. He sells Yamaha, but rides a gasgas in hair scrambles. He told me he put a fortune in a Yamaha, trying to get it to ride like the gasgas but it just never was as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammer41 said:

I have a Beta 300 and a new GasGas 250 and the GasGas is just better in every way except for the e-start. We will see how well the GasGas holds up over the next season.

Better in every way????  Well I’ll see in time. New gasgas are here . Gasgas can start with the starter. That’s a huge first objection. That’s big enough to not buy. . .. but please explain. That’s too easy to say with zero explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×