Trail tech vs KTM fan kit?

hey guys,

for those who have had either or both.  In your opinion is the trail tech fan kit a better option than the KTM kit? It's nice that you can set when the fan comes on and are able to see current coolant temperatures but I'm just curious how accurate and reliable the temp sensor on the trail tech unit that goes between the radiator fins is? Seems like placing the temp sensor there would show the temperature to be lower than it actually is once a little air is flowing through the radiator fins? Wouldn't it be more likely to measure the air temp through the rads than the actual coolant temp? Also seems it may cause the fan to cut out prematurely before it has done its job as once a little air is moving through the rads it may be reading air temp and not necessarily coolant temp?  I know there is some grease or something to help isolate the temp sensor from the airflow but wouldn't that stuff just wash off after a while? Dose it need to be reapplied every so often?  Seems the KTM style switch that mounts in the actual coolant hose would be a more accurate way to read coolant temp?    Is it just not that important to know the exact coolant temp to trigger the fan as long as your in the ball bark?

I'm very interested in the trail tech kit but was carious about the the reliability, accuracy and placement of the trail tech temp sensor vs the KTM switch.

Thanks

-Rex 

I have had the krm, dirt tricks and trail tech ... I think the trail tech and it is very accurate on the temp... I have a coolant sensor also and they are always within 5 degrees... I like the auto on along with just the fan is replaceable ... KTM broke, dirt tricks broke both after a year... Trailtech went strong for 2 till sold ... So it kept ticking for about 325 hours the others about 150 each before dieing..

• Like 3

Cool, thanks for the reply.  If the temp sensor for the fan and the separate coolant temp sensor are always within 5 degrees then I would say the trail tech temp sensor for the fan is pretty accurate.

-Rex 

Edited by Rex Renolds

I kinda like the idea of not going into the hose. My experience with the Trail techs has been as stated above, rock solid :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Nice, thanks for your reply.  It is much appreciated.  I agree going into the coolant hoses sound like a bit of a pain. 

-Rex

Yep no reason to go to the hose... For me it was already done once I got the fan...

• Like 1

I have the Trail Tech. Was at my dealer the other day, looking at the KTM-branded one. They sure look the same to me. I know that KTM PowerParts likes to find quality aftermarket stuff and have it colored Orange and put in a KTM box. I'd bet that the KTM one my dealer had was an orange Trail Tech.

My temp sensor just goes in between fins on the radiator. Works fine.

Oh wow, maybe KTM has came out with a new design or is in fact just using the trail tech system.   In my post I was referring to the older KTM fan kit that uses the thermal switch that is placed in the coolant line. 

Thanks

-Rex 

I have the Trail Tech. Was at my dealer the other day, looking at the KTM-branded one. They sure look the same to me. I know that KTM PowerParts likes to find quality aftermarket stuff and have it colored Orange and put in a KTM box. I'd bet that the KTM one my dealer had was an orange Trail Tech.

My temp sensor just goes in between fins on the radiator. Works fine.

My parts guy said that is exactly what it is. I have the TT kit. Works great. Just don't get their radiator guards.

I've got a set of bullet proof radiator guards that I'm hoping will work with their fan kit.  What's wrong with the trail tech radiator guards? 

I've got a set of bullet proof radiator guards that I'm hoping will work with their fan kit.  What's wrong with the trail tech radiator guards? 

To sum it up, they are pieces of s***. The holes stripped out where the radiator shrouds Mount to the first time they were ever put on. The fit was pretty poor as well. When I ordered the fan I was under the impression you needed their radiator guards which is completely not true and they are completely separate of each other so I am back to SRT guards and I threw the trail text in the garbage

Well, that blows! Thanks for the heads up.  I've been using the bullet proof guards myself on all my bikes and have never had any issues other than a really tight fit on a set of aftermarket fluidyne radiators.   Have never tried the SRT guards but they sound like a good option also.

-Rex 

They are very strong but probably restrict a little flow. I have them on both my bikes. No complaints. I swear I took pics of the fan kit when I did my billet head tonight but looks like I forgot lol.

Well, that blows! Thanks for the heads up.  I've been using the bullet proof guards myself on all my bikes and have never had any issues other than a really tight fit on a set of aftermarket fluidyne radiators.   Have never tried the SRT guards but they sound like a good option also.
 -Rex 

Fluidyne does not make Dirt bike radiators... They are all knock-offs but good ones. I bought a pair and found this out when I contacted Fluidyne to purchase more. They are constantly trying to pursue the Chinese company that is doing this.

Dave Francis

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 6:33 AM, lrbest4x4xfar said:

Fluidyne does not make Dirt bike radiators... They are all knock-offs but good ones. I bought a pair and found this out when I contacted Fluidyne to purchase more. They are constantly trying to pursue the Chinese company that is doing this.

Dave Francis

Mine are actually FPS super traps or some shit.  They seem like really nice rads anyway.   Very weird.

-Rex