Big jumps

Anybody else pumped for southwick not only because of the sand but also because they don't feel the need to make a GIANT triple jump? 

I cringe at tracks with the giant signature jump. Sure it's cool to see them fly a mile through the air but I don't want to see a career ending injury or worse...

I'm personally more impressed with corner speed, technical skill and aggressive racing. 

Any goon can send it 150ft through the air. But what separates the pros IMO is corner speed and technical skill. 

Any other opinions on huge jumps?

• Like 6

Big outdoor jumps are way more mellow than deathcross triples/quads. These guys are PRO's lets not forget, the hucks also provide a good breather and a chance to clear vision. Sand suits Tomac's WFO cornering, I expect Osbourne to do well here as well, he's got sand experience from GP

• Like 1

The biggest fail in the mentality that every track needs a huge jump, is when the pros don't even do it. The Fly 150 was hilarious because no one even bothered with it, even 450s.

• Like 4

Moto is best with wheels on the ground or scrubbing. Anything else is unessasary. Ok jump here ther but when they get over about 70 feet just seems like a circus to me

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 1

I would rather see a big nasty rocky creak bed crossing, or a log jam obstacle at on point on the track, than a big air gap...

those would be more cool to watch, and prove riding talent than a fly by , IMHO.

11 minutes ago, daled said:

I would rather see a big nasty rocky creak bed crossing, or a log jam obstacle at on point on the track, than a big air gap...

those would be more cool to watch, and prove riding talent than a fly by , IMHO.

Nah man it's not WORCS, trials or enduro. That shit don't belong on an MX track. 

Though it is an interesting point in the sense that maybe today's tracks start out too pristine. 

Bring back Unadilla starting out the day as completely covered in grass? Perhaps? Return of the grass start?

My minimal agriculture knowledge tells me that a motocross track being a motocross track all year around is going to be shit in no time without importing dirt. Grass and weeds are natural fertilizer and keeps dirt loamy and rich. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 505 YZ125 said:

Nah man it's not WORCS, trials or enduro. That shit don't belong on an MX track. 

Though it is an interesting point in the sense that maybe today's tracks start out too pristine. 

Bring back Unadilla starting out the day as completely covered in grass? Perhaps? Return of the grass start?

My minimal agriculture knowledge tells me that a motocross track being a motocross track all year around is going to be shit in no time without importing dirt. Grass and weeds are natural fertilizer and keeps dirt loamy and rich. 

yea agree, has no place in mx or sx :ride:

• Like 2

The bikes have suspension to jump, the racers are in their twenties and jumping is fun - let them jump. Bunch of grumpy porch dwellers in here.

The Fly 150 is stupid though. You have to be logical about it if you're gonna do it. Seems this forum would put themselves into the LaRocco leap hater category? 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 150dirtcomber said:

The bikes have suspension to jump, the racers are in their twenties and jumping is fun - let them jump. Bunch of grumpy porch dwellers in here.

The Fly 150 is stupid though. You have to be logical about it if you're gonna do it. Seems this forum would put themselves into the LaRocco leap hater category? 

shi& I seen 5th place B rider qualifier do the leap..  balls to the walls.   I have a buddy that said to me his dream is to jump the leap, I said why don't you do it then.  he looked puzzled when I said that to him.

Edited by Havingfun
  • Like 3

Sometimes I like to send it a few inches on my utility quad, but when the impact causes the chainsaw rack to fall off, that's when I know I need to sit down and have a moment with my thoughts.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, CR250_182 said:

...but in reality once they learn them that's pretty much the easiest part.

That, in my opinion, is the issue with Supercross.

When James Stewart first came on the scene, he had a different way to jump the jumps.   It was the scrub.   
But, everyone does it now.  So again, jumps are a limiting factor.   You can only jump a jump so fast, before you over jump it (which is why the scrub changed things, it allowed you to go faster while NOT overjumping).  You can also only jump it so slow before you case it.    You also must make it at a certain speed to avoid serious injury.   This makes pretty much any large jump a "do or die" scenario.  

How many people can, time and time again, handle that?   Not too many, which is why you see two or three guys dominate SX and that's it.  Everyone else is 45 seconds back.

Make tracks with SMALLER JUMPS, more cornering technical stuff, and you'll see racing tighten up.

• Like 5

Having one big jump on the circuit, Larocco's Leap is cool.  Copying that jump, eg the Fly 150, at Hangtown isn't.  Riders only have so much luck and I'd hate to see someone get seriously injured.  This has been a year where I've seen more DNFs on factory bikes than I can remember in recent years.  If a bike dies going up the face of a jump... Dangerous.

More corners, not more big Evel Knievel jumps.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kev_XR said:

Having one big jump on the circuit, Larocco's Leap is cool.  Copying that jump, eg the Fly 150, at Hangtown isn't.  Riders only have so much luck and I'd hate to see someone get seriously injured.  This has been a year where I've seen more DNFs on factory bikes than I can remember in recent years.  If a bike dies going up the face of a jump... Dangerous.

More corners, not more big Evel Knievel jumps.

I was at redbud some years back on press day and was talking to a pro sitting in the stands by the Leap, I think he was from MN.  He said he came up short trying to jump it, and said the in pack pushed his forks through the triple clamps and bent his handlebars way up...  :jawdrop:  sounds painful.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2017 at 7:38 PM, 150dirtcomber said:

Well there is a middle ground here. Of course I want to see jumping and I want to race where I can jump as well. But Fly150 being an example, and even that new jump at GH the past few years etc are just putting in a massive booter for no reason. Even that quad at HP. A couple dudes got jacked on that since it's been there. I sure as hell won't think about quadding it. I just think LaRocco's leap and Skyshot are pretty cool but the mentality that you need a massive hit on every track is not the way to go. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ah665 said:

Well there is a middle ground here. Of course I want to see jumping and I want to race where I can jump as well. But Fly150 being an example, and even that new jump at GH the past few years etc are just putting in a massive booter for no reason. Even that quad at HP. A couple dudes got jacked on that since it's been there. I sure as hell won't think about quadding it. I just think LaRocco's leap and Skyshot are pretty cool but the mentality that you need a massive hit on every track is not the way to go. 

I agree 100% with the middle ground stance 

• Like 2

I think they should have a mandatory 150ft gap jump with walls and maybe a lake, so the only bypass is a nasty enduro cross coarse section that even a rookie 250 can get thru given enough time and pushing...LOL.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wielywilly-g said:

I think they should have a mandatory 150ft gap jump with walls and maybe a lake, so the only bypass is a nasty enduro cross coarse section that even a rookie 250 can get thru given enough time and pushing...LOL.

The lake has to be filled with crocodiles

Edited by 505 YZ125
  • Like 6

Crocodiles wearing RFID collars so we can name them based on who or what brand bike they eat. A little pop-up box on our Lucas Oil stream showing their GPS location in the lake during the racing.  At the nicer tracks, maybe a croc spectator area next to the beer tent where fans can reach through the fence and pet them.

• Like 1