My cheap $5 mirror mod to get rid of the hideous stock 501S mirrors!

I just could deal with the stock mirrors being in the way anymore but kinda didn't want to pay a lot for mirrors that you have to fumble with going from trail to road and then back to trail so I went to Advance Auto and bought some 3" convex mirrors for like $3.99 to $5 (don't remember which ones cost which, I bought a set of 2" ones too and think they where the more expensive ones since they where adjustable) and simply screwed them to the stock hand guards: (I also cut a few small pieces of dish sponge and put them behind the mirrors between them and the hand guards to dampen vibration and it works quite well, no vibration that I can notice running on the roads)

WLe6bEn.jpg

lLxTgbu.jpg

cbLi2Xb.jpg

F5w6AeB.jpg

Yh57rCV.jpg

I didn't realize how much the stock mirrors where in the way until I spent an entire day riding without them! Hard to explain, but I just feel more freer to move around on the bike and rolling the bike under downed trees is also much easier with the bug antenna mirrors gone! Plus this was cheap and I didn't have to spend $100 on the double take mirrors and fuss around adjusting from trail to road and back to trail. But in all honesty, if I was more super moto and rode more asphalt in heavy traffic, I would probably just get the double take mirrors for better visibility but I honestly don't rely on mirrors 100% anyway and always look back just to make sure when switching lanes as I've thought that there was no car by me just using the mirrors before just to find a car close to me just by turning my head and looking.

Edited by Emig5m
  • Like 1

Having mirrors doesn't mean that you shouldn't check you blind spots, but good mirrors you can also see cops in the distance, or whats about to run over you, as it can happen fast , faster than you can turn around and look.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2017 at 6:02 PM, Spud786 said:

Having mirrors doesn't mean that you shouldn't check you blind spots, but good mirrors you can also see cops in the distance, or whats about to run over you, as it can happen fast , faster than you can turn around and look.

:thumbsup:  And I doubt those stick on mirrors are legal.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:02 PM, Spud786 said:

Agreed. I run big ass ugly mirrors on the street and am constantly spinning my head 360 degrees like I'm possessed.

But then again, I have 7,100,000 stupid neighbors that want to run me over.