E to SM Conversion Brake Rubbing Problem

2001 DRZ400E. Purchased a warp 9 elite supermoto wheelset from ebay (link below) that claims to fit my E model. However the 320mm rotor is rubbing on my caliper and causing uneven wear, hot pads, and pulsating brake feel while stopping at low speeds. The wheel also only spins freely while off the ground for about 2 seconds before stopping due to friction. The wheel also does not sit centered in the forks despite my best efforts. do i have the wrong relocator bracket? wrong spacers? completely wrong front wheel? Im using a zeta speedo eliminator (pictured) and stock drz400e front wheel spacer in the other side (pictured). My relocator bracket came with this kit. I have tried contacting the seller but no answer and i wanna ride! Any help would be much appreciated. Lots of pictures so you know what im working with.. and a few extra just in case your curious what she looks like :) 

The main thing that bugs me is that not only is my rotor too close to the caliper on the left side, but the wheel appears to be too close to right fork..... 

ebay link for the wheels that claim to bolt right up

page =http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMOTO-17-WHEELS-WITH-TIRES-DRZ-400-GOLD-HUB-BLACK-RIM-OVERSIZED-ROTOR/332115498083?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D5d4fe6e955a8419e94f65003ca1b33e0%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D332115498083

description =http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=332115498083&t=1491662847000&tid=10&category=21669&seller=moto-x-industries&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=100&ittenable=false&domain=ebay.com&descgauge=1&cspheader=1

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

Is that an EBC relocation bracket? As far as I know the Braking POW084 is the only one that consistently fits correctly. Also, I would compare the measurements of the OEM speedo unit with the elimination unit you installed to rule out any possibility of that being too wide.

• Like 1

Is that an EBC relocation bracket? As far as I know the Braking POW084 is the only one that consistently fits correctly. Also, I would compare the measurements of the OEM speedo unit with the elimination unit you installed to rule out any possibility of that being too wide.

Ok thanks for the braking number ill look into that, i remember measuring the speedo drive when i took it off and i believe they both measured the same 26mm(it was a while ago, probably threw the old drive out by now). Even If my eliminator spacer is too wide it still stumps me why my wheel is closer to the right fork than left. But my rotor is too close to the left side of caliper, makes me feel like i have 1 wrong spacer and also the wrong bracket.... hmmm

my thoughts are you are exactly right .. the speedo eliminator looks totally wrong for those wheels .. i couldnt follow, but if the brake disk came with the wheel they should have included the correct bracket, and also its likely that two spacers and two seals should come with the front rim - if you use the stock speedo gear you only need 1 spacer and seal and they will be a different length so you have to use the correct one on the disk side to center it in the bracket .. if your eliminating the speedo its probable with their setup that you press a seal in the inner diameter of the speedo drive of the hub and use the other included spacer ... if your using a mix of sht from different sources though thats definitely your problem, and if they sent you jacked up stuff like that personally i would be pissed ..

• Like 1

my thoughts are you are exactly right .. the speedo eliminator looks totally wrong for those wheels .. i couldnt follow, but if the brake disk came with the wheel they should have included the correct bracket, and also its likely that two spacers and two seals should come with the front rim - if you use the stock speedo gear you only need 1 spacer and seal and they will be a different length so you have to use the correct one on the disk side to center it in the bracket .. if your eliminating the speedo its probable with their setup that you press a seal in the inner diameter of the speedo drive of the hub and use the other included spacer ... if your using a mix of sht from different sources though thats definitely your problem, and if they sent you jacked up stuff like that personally i would be pissed ..

The speedo drive eliminator is by zeta(says it fit my e as well) and i sourced it from wheeling cycle supply.com
Just curious what about the eliminator looks wrong for the wheels? And where can i find the correct one? The wheels came as a set and included the bracket and rotor, however no front spacers were sent with the front wheel, do you have any ideas how or where i can the right sized spacers and eliminator? I looked into the braking bracket and it looks like that will fix the rubbing issue as it is an actual bracket for the caliper and not a relocator. Cheers
-preston

the stock spacer is the same as the speedo drive width, you can run a stock spacer on both sides and see if the zeta unit is related to any of the issues you have

• Like 1

the stock spacer is the same as the speedo drive width, you can run a stock spacer on both sides and see if the zeta unit is related to any of the issues you have

Thank you, will do.

5 hours ago, prestonb444 said:

The speedo drive eliminator is by zeta(says it fit my e as well) and i sourced it from wheeling cycle supply.com
Just curious what about the eliminator looks wrong for the wheels? And where can i find the correct one? The wheels came as a set and included the bracket and rotor, however no front spacers were sent with the front wheel, do you have any ideas how or where i can the right sized spacers and eliminator? I looked into the braking bracket and it looks like that will fix the rubbing issue as it is an actual bracket for the caliper and not a relocator. Cheers
-preston

with an aftermarket hub you have to use 'their' spacers most likely .. its a different wheel the stock setup is not guranteed to work .. the stock spacers will not work right on the rims i put on my S, the spacers should come WITH the wheels ... as far as an eliminator i will say again, typically a seal presses into the hub and a there will be another spacer .. if your trying to find a fancy polished cover that looks good your going to likely have to modify it BUT .... the critical spacer is on the disk side, thats what spaces the disk correctly, the speedo side spacer should simply take up the remaining gap ... to add, dont even look at the tire to center the wheel in the forks, worry about that last, its possible the lacing will have to be adjusted to get that perfect ..

• Like 1

Hey man I am experiencing the same exact problem you are. The only difference is I'm using the warp9 spacers they sent with the wheels. My rotor is rubbing my caliper the same exact way yours is. I haven't rode it because I could tell something wasn't aligned right. Did you ever figure out a solution? For how much it cost for these wheels you think they would make sure they actually fit before mass producing the parts...

Here's a picture I took last night. I have a 2003 drz400e. My oem dirt wheels fit and spun fine. I was using the same zeta spacer to replace the speedo drive on my dirt wheels and it worked fine. I bought warp 9 wheels and am using the spacers they sent me and I am having the same exact problem as you. Only difference is I haven't rode it even 1 mile. That wear is from New spinning the wheel while trying to figure out the problem...8370752645c53b6310dfacd397df116d.jpg

This is really disappointing to see.  I was very much considering a set of Warp9 wheels (complete setup) for my DRZ400E.  Have you folks having issues tried to test fit the smaller oem brake disc to the wheels to see if that might get you by for the time being?  Warp 9 setups are not cheap and to see/hear issues like this stinks.  Also prestonb44 it looks as though not only is the wear on your front pads very uneven side to side, it also appears as though a very minimal amount of the pad is even making contact with the braking surface or is that just a function of how uneven they are wearing (if that makes sense).  Prestonb44 do you have any pictures from the side of how everything is bolted up?

You probably need different spacers. You've made the assumption the Warp 9 hubs are the same as factory. They most likely are not. That speedo eliminator is designed for the factory hub. I suggest you contact Warp 9 and order the proper spacers for those hubs.

For your information, when Warp 9 first started offering wheels for the DRZ they used a combination of KTM and Yamaha hubs and adapted them to the DRZ via the spacers. It's possible you have wheels built like this. I suggest you contact Warp 9 and order spacers from them.

Edited by ptgarcia
  • Like 1

You probably need different spacers. You've made the assumption the Warp 9 hubs are the same as factory. They most likely are not. That speedo eliminator is designed for the factory hub. I suggest you contact Warp 9 and order the proper spacers for those hubs.
For your information, when Warp 9 first started offering wheels for the DRZ they used a combination of KTM and Yamaha hubs and adapted them to the DRZ via the spacers. It's possible you have wheels built like this. I suggest you contact Warp 9 and order spacers from them.
Read my post. I am using warp9 sm wheels with THE SPACERS THEY SENT ME and am having the same problem as the OP. I've been in contact with warp9 so once I get everything settled i will post back here and say what I did and how I fixed it.4a218922c7960cefc1921fdf068bff2e.jpg

10 hours ago, mistermotard said:

Read my post. I am using warp9 sm wheels with THE SPACERS THEY SENT ME and am having the same problem as the OP. I've been in contact with warp9 so once I get everything settled i will post back here and say what I did and how I fixed it.4a218922c7960cefc1921fdf068bff2e.jpg

Well that sucks but doesn't surprise me. Warp 9 has been less than stellar to deal with for as long as I remember. 

I have fixed the rubbing issue on my drz. I contacted the seller i bought my warp 9 elite wheels from on ebay and he sent 2 different spacers to try. He sent me one labeled "e" and one labeled "s". Ironically enough the e spacer did not fix it but the s one did. If you guys would like. I can take off my front wheel and use measuring calipers and give you the exact mm of each sides spacer. That is if you haven't already solved this issue yourselves, i haven't read all the replies yet so i'm not sure on everyones progress...

16 minutes ago, prestonb444 said:

I have fixed the rubbing issue on my drz. I contacted the seller i bought my warp 9 elite wheels from on ebay and he sent 2 different spacers to try. He sent me one labeled "e" and one labeled "s". Ironically enough the e spacer did not fix it but the s one did. If you guys would like. I can take off my front wheel and use measuring calipers and give you the exact mm of each sides spacer. That is if you haven't already solved this issue yourselves, i haven't read all the replies yet so i'm not sure on everyones progress...

That's a bit odd because factory E and S models spacers are the same. 

I agree it is a bit odd, but they were noticeably different sizes. And yeah everything i have read says the same thing that they are the same size. E and s