No talk of Southwick? Anyone plan on going?

Looks like too much rain for me to go, sadly. Yea I confess, I'm a nice weather person only. Looking at the weather it looks like the rain is hammering there now with a 60% chance tomorrow. Bummer, I looked forward to going but I'm not going to be miserable in the rain watching the pros going C class speed, lol.

Anyway, here's a clip from last year, I tend to move around the track as the race is going to get all the views and happen to be at the right place at the right time when Eli passed Rozcen:

Edited by Emig5m
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ah665 said:

That pass was amazing. Good catch.

Thanks, and Southwick is absolutely the worst spectator friendly track I've been to. If you stay in one spot you literally only see a couple corners and there's a lot of trees here compared to other north eastern tracks and that's why I like to keep moving around the track as the race is going. That was just pure luck being at the right place at the right time - I was walking around and seen an open spot by the fence I decided whip out my phone and film for a bit. I'm hoping the weather will change for tomorrow. For now I'm not 100% either way and will keep an eye on the weather. It's about a 4hr one way drive for me so I don't want to waste the time driving if it's going to be a slop-fest. I still have Unadilla and Budds Creek I can go to (I already went to Mt. Morris this year)

Edited by Emig5m

I can't blame you for holding out, because of the weather. I almost didn't go to High Point because of the rain. Glad I did. But as you said earlier, I don't enjoy the rain much, that goes for racing too. I've stayed home numerous days when it is pouring that morning of the race lol. 

I've never been to Southwick but that all makes sense, with what you are saying about trying to find a good spectator spot. At least you already saw 1 National and possibly a couple others, before the year is up. Have fun, if you go.

Edited by ah665

Yea I like to get around to different tracks/atmospheres. As a kid I didn't even have cable TV so I couldn't even watch them on TV so now as an adult and being able drive comfortably back and forth in one day without needing to camp or get a hotel to Mt. Morris, Southwick, Budds Creek, and Unadilla (I really miss Broome-Tioga!) I figure if I can drive to all those tracks in the same day why not go experience them live in person? Not to mention the races being on Saturday instead of Sunday now make it so much easier to get home late and not have to worry about waking up early the next day and having to go to work.

The actual terrain at Southwick is some of my favorite - Sandy and choppy. It doesn't have a lot of big jumps that the other tracks have but that's what makes it a different experience. With regards to the spectator view, it's like the exact opposite of Mt. Morris where Mt. Morris has the best view from one spot (kinda like Steel City had) Southwick is at the exact opposite of the spectrum, heh. But last year they didn't have enough porta john's. There was like a 20 minute wait to use the bathroom. I hope they have more porta john's this year, lol. But the parking is the best. You park on well groomed baseball/soccer fields from what I remember. You could take a Corvette there unlike some other tracks where a 4x4 is almost mandatory, lol. And the traffic leaving the race is directed by the actual police so none of that fighting and congestion like Unadilla and is pretty smooth flowing leaving.

Edited by Emig5m
  • Like 1

I'm in California, I can't afford a plane ticket there. But I'll be watching it on the TV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC_Excitement said:

I'll be in the Lucas VIP this year! All fired up!

what did you pay for vip?  Redbud wanted 175.00 on top of a 45.00 ticket + parking.  hope they serve prime rib and lobster and shots of woodford double reserve.

there could be some special privileges (like parking-yea 100-200'), when I seen 175.00 my brain shut down and went to reserve.

Edited by Havingfun
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Emig5m said:

Yea I like to get around to different tracks/atmospheres. As a kid I didn't even have cable TV so I couldn't even watch them on TV so now as an adult and being able drive comfortably back and forth in one day without needing to camp or get a hotel to Mt. Morris, Southwick, Budds Creek, and Unadilla (I really miss Broome-Tioga!) I figure if I can drive to all those tracks in the same day why not go experience them live in person? Not to mention the races being on Saturday instead of Sunday now make it so much easier to get home late and not have to worry about waking up early the next day and having to go to work.

The actual terrain at Southwick is some of my favorite - Sandy and choppy. It doesn't have a lot of big jumps that the other tracks have but that's what makes it a different experience. With regards to the spectator view, it's like the exact opposite of Mt. Morris where Mt. Morris has the best view from one spot (kinda like Steel City had) Southwick is at the exact opposite of the spectrum, heh. But last year they didn't have enough porta john's. There was like a 20 minute wait to use the bathroom. I hope they have more porta john's this year, lol. But the parking is the best. You park on well groomed baseball/soccer fields from what I remember. You could take a Corvette there unlike some other tracks where a 4x4 is almost mandatory, lol. And the traffic leaving the race is directed by the actual police so none of that fighting and congestion like Unadilla and is pretty smooth flowing leaving.

I can't make it this year. You are right parking is about the only thing that is good at Southwick from a spectator's point of view. I bought the VIP package a few years ago and that was a huge disappointment. Much of the environment is no different than it was in the 1970s (I went to the first National there) facilitites, food, viewpoints are all pretty much poor --views are mostly chainlink fence and limited corners/spectator space. Little or no bleachers. 

They don't even do a good job with the local powersports business community and it should a showcase for gear and sales IMHO. A few years back I was riding on Sunday the day after and there was not one vendor selling accessories like goggles, gloves, helmets and etc.  Wasn't even a good selection of wearables mostly crappy tee shirts. You have thousands of committed fans a lot them are riders and you can't even buy a pair of googles, they have the booths they just don't have what customers will buy.

Southwick is located in a beautiful part of the state and is a great location with Ma, Ct, Ny, Nj and Pa population centers within a drive. A fix up and some better marketing with local businesses and money could be made there. I am glad SX is coming back to Gillette this year, I paid extra for good seats there 2 years ago and it was well worth it: great views, excellent facilities, great customer service. Those guys know how to treat paying customers. The only complaint at Gillette is the parking sux but that is a known issue for all events there.

what did you pay for vip?  Redbud wanted 175.00 on top of a 45.00 ticket + parking.  hope they serve prime rib and lobster and shots of woodford double reserve.
there could be some special privileges (like parking-yea 100-200'), when I seen 175.00 my brain shut down and went to reserve.

I got lucky, they were given to me by my local parts supplier that I do a lot of business with. Lucas must of gave them so many. All day pit pass, and free food I guess. I think the tent is by the old pits where Stewart lock up mid air years back
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DC_Excitement said:

I got lucky, they were given to me by my local parts supplier that I do a lot of business with. Lucas must of gave them so many. All day pit pass, and free food I guess. I think the tent is by the old pits where Stewart lock up mid air years back

You got a deal there. They were pricey as I remember.  And get that food while it is there because it runs out and when it does that's it.

You got a deal there. They were pricey as I remember.  And get that food while it is there because it runs out and when it does that's it.

Yea man!, I've never had any kind of luxury at the wick. But I'll prolly be watching shoulder to shoulder with everyone else , I like to walk around and check out all the lines.

Partial cloudiness early, with scattered showers and thunderstorms during the afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High 86F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Grrr... I know what will happen... If I don't go the weather will clear up and be perfect and if I do go it will rain...lol. Woke up this morning feeling kinda lazy'ish and don't really feel like making the drive but I would of went if there wasn't a chance of rain because I do like being there in person. To go to Mt. Morris with gas+ticket was a little over $200 and I just don't feel like taking the chance of throwing the money and time away. To you guys going, you can thank me for the weather that's going to clear up now because now that I'm not going, the weather is going to change for the better, lol. Hope you guys get good weather, looks like I'm going to be watching it live on NBC Gold this year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DC_Excitement said:

Yea man!, I've never had any kind of luxury at the wick. But I'll prolly be watching shoulder to shoulder with everyone else , I like to walk around and check out all the lines.

If I only went to one event a year I would probably fork out the money and try the VIP thing (I actually tried to buy it last year at The Wick but they said that it was a purchase online only thing and that it couldn't be purchased track side) but like you said, I like to move around and check out the different areas of the track and it would 'sorta' be a waste of money for me.

On July 7, 2017 at 4:00 PM, GBowman said:

I'm in California, I can't afford a plane ticket there. But I'll be watching it on the TV.

You are a fibbing......although if the plane ticket was $20 bucks with admission included it still wouldn't be worth it......southwick sucks.....used to go there.....than I went to unadilla.....never went back to southwick again........id rather drive 6 hours to buds creek than 1 hour to southwick.

You are a fibbing......although if the plane ticket was $20 bucks with admission included it still wouldn't be worth it......southwick sucks.....used to go there.....than I went to unadilla.....never went back to southwick again........id rather drive 6 hours to buds creek than 1 hour to southwick.

Unadilla is where I want to go.....on my bucket list.
  • Like 1