02 XR650l starting issue ?

So I bought this XR650l about 2 months ago. Before I get into the issue I'm having I'll list what I've done to it so it's known what was messed with. Daves carb mod, de-snorkel, uni filter, de-smog, full fmf exhaust, new tail light and blinkers (not led). So last night after about a 30min ride I stopped at a store and after about 10 mins tried to leave. The ol pig didn't want to start. After trying for about 5 mins it finally started and I was off. This exact thing happened about a month ago as well. Today as I've been riding I've noticed if I'm maintaining speed in any gear then try to crack the throttle there is a very significant hesitation before it takes off. It's almost like the bike dies for a split second. From what I've read it sounds like the CDI but I figured I ask you guys before I dished out $160. 

I put the blinkers and exaust on yesterday and had the issues last night and today. Not sure if that's a quencedes or has something to do with it. The other mods were done with no issues following. Daves mod was done with 55/160 jetting 

6 hours ago, Bobby Blumps said:

So last night after about a 30min ride I stopped at a store and after about 10 mins tried to leave. The ol pig didn't want to start. After trying for about 5 mins it finally started and I was off. 

Try shutting off the fuel a few hundred feet before you shut off the bike if you know you'll be restarting it in less than half an hour.  That may be all you need to make it happy to do a warm start like that.

If you're talking Keihin jets, a 160 is on the rich side.  I'm running at a 158 and I know I'm rich.  I would use a 155 except that I have a high compression piston in there, so the slightly richer mixture helps avoid detonation.  Your pilot jet is also one step richer than what I'm running, and mine is happy with no choke after less than 20 seconds of running except on the coldest days.

Edited by ScottRNelson
  • Like 1

Daves mod called for a change from the stock 50/152 to 55/158 jets. Usually when I need parts my buddy lets me dig around in his shop and this was the case with the jets. He had the 55 pilot but all I could find was a 160 main which is why I'm running that combo. Do you think this is still to rich with the powerbomb header & powercore 4 exhaust ?

How many turns out is the idle mixture screw?

That one also affects how the thing is going to start when hot.  I think mine is at 2 1/4 turns out.  Somebody has written up the procedure for how to determine the best setting of that screw for your particular bike, and I would go through the procedure, except that it would violate my philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". ;)

I'm the same, 2 1/4 turns out. Idles great although I don't know exactly what that screw does. Is it just to adjust idle ?

1 hour ago, Bobby Blumps said:

I'm the same, 2 1/4 turns out. Idles great although I don't know exactly what that screw does. Is it just to adjust idle ?

It controls the mixture when the throttle is closed.  It affects how the throttle behaves when you go from closed throttle to slightly open.  If you have it wrong, you'll be going through a second or third gear corner, start to give it throttle, and it will stumble.  Get it right and all is smooth.

I've owned a couple of Ducati Monsters - 900cc carbureted models - that needed the idle mixture screw exactly right for the conditions that I've described above.  I took them out and tried a bunch of settings to get those bikes to behave.  Fortunately, the idle mixture screw can be adjusted on most bikes without having to take anything off to get to the screw - you just need the right screwdriver to access it.  With the XR650L, if you've modified the tab you can adjust with your fingers - unless you have one of the new ones.