Rotella....is this what you use?

In Wal-Mart and almost bought it but wasn't 100% sure....I think it's the right stuff though. Want to switch over for cost savings and I like to change my oil often....Motorex cost a liter what a gallon of Rotella costs. Thanks. 

20170707_152111.jpg

• Like 2

Amsoil 10-50, bike's not going to die if you use 10 or 15, but I'd rather use 50 over 40wt and also prefer an oil having a strong shear rate. I'm quite happy running the brand that's in my 183 rwhp rocket.

For 250 xcw mix I use Legend Oil zx2r,  40:1....very popular in the 2 stroke snowmobile world, and clean burning. It's not cheap and only available in the Northern US, but can be shipped in gallon jugs.

Edited by hopsterj

Do I need to flush out old gear oil first or just let it drain well when switching?

10 minutes ago, DaveCR said:

Simply drain it.

Thought so. Thanks.

I pour Rotella on my pancakes and also use it for sex lube. It's great stuff, no failures yet! 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Paul T said:

Thought so. Thanks.

I would drain and fill after a few hours..at least check for foaming..

Edited by theBIGnaud

Keep in mind that in no diesel application engine oil encounter a wet clutch, the shear forces of the transmission, or the RPM capability of a modern Motorcycle engine. Cheap out now and pay big time later, sooner than you'd expect.

• Like 1

Most people around here use it even few local pro kids in thier 250fs . Works for them works for me :ride: you'll find 80% people on here use it also id say. 

• Like 1

Been using last 2 ktms. I change it every other ride. I'd rather change out cheaper oil more frequently than better oil not enough. 

It's all I use. Worked great in my yz250. Works great in my 300xc. And slot of the pro guys around here use it without any premature failures

1 hour ago, originaldirt said:

Keep in mind that in no diesel application engine oil encounter a wet clutch, the shear forces of the transmission, or the RPM capability of a modern Motorcycle engine. Cheap out now and pay big time later, sooner than you'd expect.

Tell me more about your Scamsoil franchise!

I have 109,000 miles on a Vstrom and put 25,000 dual sport and offroad miles on a TTR250 running nothing but Rotella 15w40, when are my issues gonna start showing up? Tomorrow?

• Like 4

I've been using it for years in 4 strokes and 2 stroke gear boxes. It is one of the best oils made today and its value is untouchable. Yamaha has been re bottling it as Yamalube for a long time too. If people want to pay 5x more because there is a motorcycle on the bottle then go ahead. 

• Like 2

Any oil that is JASO DH-2, MA, MA2 rated, and meets or exceeds CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus specs, is great oil to use.

This oil is that. 

So are a couple dozen others.....

What makes Rotella popular is price.

.....and failures, or even premature wear directly related to oil are nearly impossible to diagnose by ametuers..... so all the claims of 'it didn't blow up' are pretty meaningless. 

Air cleaner practices, coolant temps, and following factory maintenece schedules are far more important.....

I have around 150 hours on a 2013 300sx. All MX. Vet 30+A. Original clutch with .001-.002 wear using Rotella 15-40. I'm not hard on the clutch but actually replaced the clutch for no reason during a crank seals and bearing change (not from failure, just for preventive measures). During that same work, inspected the transmission, very impressed.

• Like 1

15/40 to heavy for morning temps in 40 Ktm won't start with button or kick, needed to be pulled started.