My Beta 250RR vs YZ250FX initial review...

As some of you know I sold my 2015 YZ250FX a couple months back and replaced it with a 17’ Beta 250RR.  I always liked this sub forum and the help you all provided during my FX days.  Good group of people here.  I thought I would post up a short review between the two bikes since I’m quite comfortable on the Beta now.  I owned my FX for little over a year and put a lot of money into the bike setting it up exactly how I wanted.  The same now has gone into the Beta.  Both bikes took a bit to adjust to.  However, the Beta I think has taken a little more setup to get it right.  Now that it is dialed here are my impressions.

Design / Body:

There is no doubt (IMO) that the Beta is the better looking of the two bikes.  It has a sleeker more trimmed profile and definitely catches the eye.  The Beta looks like a higher end bike and the parts definitely give off that look of being more expensive.  That said, I feel like the FX is a little more stout and can take hits a bit better.  Especially with the plastics, the Betas are thin and feel flimsy. They scratch and crease easy and just don’t have that robustness of the Yamaha’s.  I also really like that the graphics are infused into the Yamaha plastic.   I really do like the look of the FX, just not as much as any of the Betas.

Chassis:  

The Beta does feel closer to the Yamaha ergo wise than the KTM (other than height).  The way the bikes ride is noticeably different though.  The Beta wants you more in an aggressive position.  It prefers you standing over the bars when turning.  If sitting, it likes you up on the gas tank.  On the FX I could sit neutral on the seat and really carve the bike hard into corners.  When I first got the Beta I tried to ride the bike the same way and it just didn’t work.  It would want to track straight instead of turning.  I also notice that I stand a lot more when riding the Beta than I did with the FX.  I think the FX made me lazy with its ability to turn so easy from a comfortable seated position.  One thing I didn’t like about the FX was how tall it was.  And I’m 6’2” for reference.  The weight was carried high on the bike and It showed in the tighter stuff.  That said, the Beta was way too low when I got it.  I immediately ordered a taller seat to offset this. 

Suspension:

In the Beta’s defense the forks have got better as they have broke in.  However, they were really bad at first.  Mainly at flowy speed chop type stuff.  It was really harsh here.  When you got into the slow tight stuff it felt plush, but anything with speed it was harsh.  This is where the FX easily beats the Beta.  On the FX I felt so comfortable railing through choppy sections and hitting square edges.  On the Beta I find myself less comfortable.  When it comes to the shock I actually really like the Beta’s.  Nice and plush and responsive to adjustments.  Id say they are a tie here.  Im hoping to get the suspension (forks) sorted at the end of summer to try and get them on par with the KYB.  

Motor:

Both are fantastic.  The FX is the best 4 stroke motor I have ridden to date.  Super smooth and easy to manage.  Fast for a 250F and it would pull anything I threw at it.  Super reliable and fun to tweak with the power tuner.  The 250RR has a lot more power, and I mean ALOOTTTT.  This took some getting use to and had me really focusing when first learning the bike.  The goal was to not fly off the trail every corner.  Despite the FX being responsive to different fuel and ignition mapping, I feel like when adjusting the Beta’s power (map switch, power valve) the differences are more defined.  For easibility I have to give the edge to the Beta as it doesn’t cost anything, and it takes all of 5 seconds to adjust its power characteristics.  

Riding:

Here in the PNW we often find ourselves in tight woods single track with roots, rocks, mud, hills, logs and varying weather.  For this riding alone the Beta wins for me.  You can tell this bike was designed for the slow going, obstacle driven trails.  The weight is carried much lower, it has more power for quick blips, and it feels more balanced when turning slowly.  That said, once the trails open to flowy single track with bumps, whoops, and some speed the FX takes over.  The FX just gave me so much confidence when railing at speed.  So smooth, balanced and tracked straight when needed.  The Beta’s suspension struggles when compared here, and the bike likes to dance more.  Overall, each bike has their strengths, but for what I ride primarily the Beta takes the win.  

Sum:

All I can say is I like both bikes a lot for different reasons.  The Beta took more time to set up and get comfortable on.  Also more money.  However, once setup it has proven more comfortable for the type of riding I find myself generally doing.  Until I noticed this, the FX never gave off the impression that it was holding me back.  Its just that the Beta does it better.  So to some it up: On the faster more flowy trails I prefer the FX.  For technical the Beta.  Visually the Beta wins for me.  Robustness, the FX is more stout and takes hits better.  After market support goes definitely to the Yamaha, though the Beta isn’t bad.  Suspension, Yamaha definitely gets it in the forks, the shock is a wash between the two.  Motor is a preference thing.  I like both motors a lot compared to other brands.  Overall both bikes are great and I would of loved to keep the FX if I could of financially justified it.  If anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up.

• Like 10

Good review. 2 strokes are always a bit easier in the tight and nasty stuff. When you hit 2nd gear or higher is when the 250Fs come into their own. 

• Like 1

Good review. 2 strokes are always a bit easier in the tight and nasty stuff. When you hit 2nd gear or higher is when the 250Fs come into their own. 

For me it's 3rd gear as I never use 1st on either bike. Maybe for a pivot turn, but I can pull the bike up from a stand still in 2nd relatively easy on both. I do agree with you that the 250F is brilliant once some speed gets into the equation. And despite the beta being way faster, when pinning up a rocky bumpy logging road for example, the FX tracks and stays stable much better making the extra power of the beta less relevant.
  • Like 1

Good review. I have the 17 300 XT and a 2014 Yz250F. I have 7.5 acres of single track at the house and the YZ is terrible back there. Too tall both in height and gearing. The 300 on the other hand rocks. So now the YZ is only for track days and more open free riding. The XT gets ridden almost daily. They are hard to beat for tight, eastern trails.

• Like 1

Try a 17fx it runs different and harder than the 15, I have  both .

Try a 17fx it runs different and harder than the 15, I have  both .

Despite the 17' FX having a little more power than my 15', I don't think that would have much bearing on my results. The Beta still makes a ton more power than the 17' FX.
  • Like 4

I'm at the point with my personal riding abilities the lower powered FX is actually making me faster. Coming off a 250 2 stroke it feels so smooth and linear than I feel like I can really push harder more predictably. No doubt in my mind a more skilled rider could use the 250 2 stroke power more effectively. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bricktop72 said:

I'm at the point with my personal riding abilities the lower powered FX is actually making me faster. Coming off a 250 2 stroke it feels so smooth and linear than I feel like I can really push harder more predictably. No doubt in my mind a more skilled rider could use the 250 2 stroke power more effectively. 

100% agree Bricktop.. I love pushing a bike with less power.  I think in hare scramble situations the 250F is hard to beat.  In the flowy single track i am faster on my FX.. In the tight, technical enduro type stuff, I'm definitely faster on the Beta.  Not really because of the power, but just because of the comfort and design of the bike.  I have my Beta currently setup with the power valve in a bit and the soft map engaged.  This softens its up a bit and makes it manageable and less arm ripping.  When lugging the bike its smooth and doesn't have that big 300 torque pulling you in every corner.

• Like 1

I am using my FX for harescrambles and entry level MX (mainly learning proper cornering techniques) so it's working very well for me. I will admit when I'm goofing around in the really nasty stuff, or having to physically move the bike a lot it's not optimal. The main reason I dislike the FX in really tricky terrain is the seat height. I'm 6'3" tall and even I think it's ridiculously tall. Next week I'm having my tuner shorten the shock .2" and revalve the forks which should improve it for me. 

12 minutes ago, Bricktop72 said:

I am using my FX for harescrambles and entry level MX (mainly learning proper cornering techniques) so it's working very well for me. I will admit when I'm goofing around in the really nasty stuff, or having to physically move the bike a lot it's not optimal. The main reason I dislike the FX in really tricky terrain is the seat height. I'm 6'3" tall and even I think it's ridiculously tall. Next week I'm having my tuner shorten the shock .2" and revalve the forks which should improve it for me. 

My biggest complaint with the FX was the seat height.  At 6'2 it still bothered me a lot.  I can only imagine how much more of a pain it would be for the shorter guys in the tech stuff. 

• Like 1

I also find the FX to dominate in faster flowy sections, but it doesn't do as well in real tight technical single track. I'll take a 2T any day for the slow stuff but prefer to rip fast stuff on a 250F. Giving it big long handfuls of throttle always makes me smile. Makes a great race bike, which is it's design intent. Definitely doesn't like going slow. 

I'm 6-2" with a 34" in seam and rear have the rear lowered 8-10 mm. Seat height doesn't bother me, that's one of the reasons I was attracted to it in the first place. I'm just not comfortable on shorter bikes. 

• Like 1