Headlight Kill Switch?

Sometimes on woods trips I like to be a little sneaky :devil: so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a clip on headlight kill switch. I was also in southern jersey around sunset last week in a real small town and felt like a douche driving up and down the boardwalk hitting everyone in the eyes with my lights. Used to the KLR where all I had to do was google something, pay $50+shipping and I had any add on imaginable. Willing to mod and cut myself if a clip on doesn't exist, but not an expert with electrical systems.

Thanks,

john

I don't use my engine start-stop switches on the right handlebar ever and have used that switch to shut the lights off on one bike . Just route the ground wire to the switch.  Otherwise you can get new switches from UK or Europe that have the ON/OFF feature .

I have one of these to install on another , seems to be good quality , the high/low beam switch isn't my favorite though .  http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-DUAL-SPORT-MULTI-SWITCH-7-8-B-12-0040-56-5819-/322411331315?hash=item4b11367ef3

• Like 1

get a wiring diagram, cut into the power wire to the headlite switch and add a toggle, thats what i did, works great.

You might as well put the switch on the hot side, rather than the ground side.  Make sure the switch is rated for that amperage.

It doesn't matter at all which side he breaks. I suggested ground because it's easier to find and it doesn't have to be on the correct side of the high/low switch.

True about the two hots for the headlight.

Switching the hot can be theoretically safer, but maybe that's not even true on a bike with a floating ground.

On 7/7/2017 at 10:53 PM, johngang said:

Used to the KLR where all I had to do was google something, pay $50+shipping and I had any add on imaginable.

I love all the aftermarket availability for the XR650/600 ... but I've never owned a KLR for comparison.

Oh damn, knew there was a good reason I asked you guys! :ride: Thanks. So just to be clear, I need to:

A). Get a switch with the right amperage.

B). Cut that switch into the headlight ground wire anywhere that's easy to reach and doesn't cause unnecessary tangle

C). Report back on if i got myself zapped or not.

Like the idea of of rerouting the engine kill switch already on the bar (don't use mine either really) and will look into that too.

You wont get zapped! But video yourself so we can laugh.:lol:  The wires may need to be extended to reach your switch if placed on bars, or install switch close to wires in headlight fairing, if you can reach on the fly.