Best setup or ideas for 2016 rmz 450 suspension

I got 10 hrs on the bike and been playing with the clickers and air pressure and I can't get a good baseline setup. I'm 165lbs with gear on and ride mostly a rough sand track. Should I send it out to get revalved or look at the spring conversion kits, or just keep playing around with it? Any input would be great. Thanks 

I run a revalved spring conversion. Only adjustments now are clickers, and fork height. Never tried the air. Always thought chasing the right combinations and rechecking between motos, might keep me from quality riding. Whether practicing or MXing. Doesn't an air pump retail for $100? I used that toward the revalve and kit.

Try this

Fork;

Inner :160psi

Outer:8psi

Balance: 190psi

Comp:16 clicks out

Rebound: as soft as it will go

Shock; 

Hi: 12 clicks out

Low: 3.5 turns out

Rebound: 14 clicks out

This is the best setup i have found for 170lbs in sand with large whoops withoit a revalve

Cool, thanks. How high up in the clamps are you running your forks?

I lowered them as far as they will go. Let me know what you think about this set up.

I'll try everything u said. I just can't get comfortable on this bike!! Don't know if it's the power or suspension or what. Just getting nasty arm pump in my throttle arm too. Kind of wishI kept my 250 two stroke !!

Forgot to mention i installed a 5.5kg rear spring and went 4 turns out on low when i did that. Other than that its stock. The forks wont stick so much after about 20-25 hours. I also have recently installed tubliss on the bike and run 7psi in the tires, this gave me mega traction all around and helped reduce arm pump!

21 hours ago, Gabe B said:

Forgot to mention i installed a 5.5kg rear spring and went 4 turns out on low when i did that. Other than that its stock. The forks wont stick so much after about 20-25 hours. I also have recently installed tubliss on the bike and run 7psi in the tires, this gave me mega traction all around and helped reduce arm pump!

Download the Showa TAC app to your phone so you can play with settings. Super easy.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bones-bacon-on-suspension-living-with-showa-sff-tac-air/

Its so hard to give suspension advice over the internet but I would try for sand, top of gold fork tube flush with top of triple clamp, you could slide them up to the first line if the bike wont turn in enough. Run the axel as far back in the swingarm as you can. Tighten the steering stem nut so that the front end wont flop on the stand.

Sag 105mm

Forks inner 175psi, Outer 0, Balance 190psi

Comp 12, Rebound 10

Shock

High Speed 1 1/2, if you run too much the bike is just going squat too much in the sand and updet the chassis

Comp 12ish 

Rebound 10

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gabe B said:

Already have 😉 thats how i found these optimal settings to achive a plusher ride

I really recommend to read that MXA article, and I think Bones has written a newer one since, as well. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 6:55 PM, pete11 said:

I'll try everything u said. I just can't get comfortable on this bike!! Don't know if it's the power or suspension or what. Just getting nasty arm pump in my throttle arm too. Kind of wishI kept my 250 two stroke !!

I just did the Racetech spring conversion with a revalve to both forks/shock and I can tell you this is a different bike with that suspension setup!  I cannot recommend this setup more.  You will not be disappointed.  I was in the same boat as you with the air, just could not make the suspension work.  And the bike felt like it didn't handle that great as a result.  I can follow the ruts in turns way better now, and the bumps are much more comfortable to go through.  

• Like 1

How much did this spring conversion cost?  I have read other accounts on this matter and have heard real good results, just as you have experienced.

On 8/27/2017 at 4:14 PM, thsp485 said:

How much did this spring conversion cost?  I have read other accounts on this matter and have heard real good results, just as you have experienced.

The spring conversion kit is $499.99 from Racetech.  Here's the link to more info http://racetech.com/page/title/RT_SCS