15/44 on drz400sm

I'm thinking of changing my gearing to 15 44 and wondering what I can expect comfortable cruising speed to be with that ratio. Anyone running a 44t rear that can comment on it? 

I'm thinking of changing my gearing to 15 44 and wondering what I can expect comfortable cruising speed to be with that ratio. Anyone running a 44t rear that can comment on it? 

Here's a handy tool to get an idea how wheel size and gear changes affect the bike.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I tried 14/41 on the SM which is equal to 15/44 and didn't like how it felt around 60/65.

I had an stock S for a short time that was geared for off road. I don't remember the gearing but it was able to pull power wheelies in 1st but is was also screaming its guts out at 55 mph.

I know you said money is tight right now but sprockets are closer to 30 than 20. Spend 7 bucks on a 150 main, pull the brass plug out that is hiding the fuel screw and open it up and do the 3x3. That should give you enough "snap" to get you by until you have the coin for more expensive mods.

• Like 2

I have a 44t rear on my s, did hit top speed @ 95 mph ---- well, it might have gone more, but I am a wimp on d606 tires -- I run WOT a lot though

I am running 15/44 in SM setup right now and it seems busy at 60-65 so if you do alot of miles in 55-65 zones this may not be for you. I also have 15/47 for dirt wheels and the same thing, a bit busy at 60-65.

BUT

If you mainly ride twisty back roads or like to rip dank whoolies it is awesome.

I just ordered up a 41T to swap over my SM setup, the 44T is going on the dirt wheels as the dirt I ride is a ways away and not that technical where a 47T is needed, at least to me.

5 hours ago, MyKLX400 said:

I am running 15/44 in SM setup right now and it seems busy at 60-65 so if you do alot of miles in 55-65 zones this may not be for you. I also have 15/47 for dirt wheels and the same thing, a bit busy at 60-65.

BUT

If you mainly ride twisty back roads or like to rip dank whoolies it is awesome.

I just ordered up a 41T to swap over my SM setup, the 44T is going on the dirt wheels as the dirt I ride is a ways away and not that technical where a 47T is needed, at least to me.

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. Think I'll probably go back to 15/41.