90's RM 250's?

I am looking for an older 250T in the $1,000 range to eventually pick up as a backup bike/play bike. I currently ride a kx450f. I've never owned a Suzuki and thought about trying one out. So I am debating between a 90's RM or KX. I like the 94-98 KXs as I had a 94 when I was a young. Just wondering on anyone's thoughts about if the 90's RM's were good or junk.

Thanks

I have a 90's RM and my buddy has one. Both 250's. Both great bikes. Only problem I have and I foresee you having is parts availability and the fact you're getting it so cheap it might be a pile of s*it which needs more money put into than its worth. If I were you i'd get a 00+ bike that still has parts available, YZ is very popular and the last year RM's after 2000 were supposed to be VERY good bikes. If I remember right they were the best handling out of the big four. 

I have a 90's RM and my buddy has one. Both 250's. Both great bikes. Only problem I have and I foresee you having is parts availability and the fact you're getting it so cheap it might be a pile of s*it which needs more money put into than its worth. If I were you i'd get a 00+ bike that still has parts available, YZ is very popular and the last year RM's after 2000 were supposed to be VERY good bikes. If I remember right they were the best handling out of the big four. 

You make a valid point on parts availability. I am just throwing out a number of a 1,000 because I figure I could get a 90s bike in pretty good shape for that much. I am mainly looking for a sort of a project bike I guess. Something that I could get for fairly cheap and take my time going through. I do know the late model RM 250s are supposed to be pretty good but that would be out of my price range. I know power valves are hard to come by on the 90s KX's I wonder if it's the same issue with RM's? But like you said how much money do you throw into a 20 year old bike. I know the YZ's are popular but everyone and their brother seems to have YZ's so I would rather be different and not have one lol.

Look for a 96 and newer. The earlier models while decent, have the older case reed engine and single sided subframe. They have hard hitting, big "125 like" engines. The 1995 had the best suspension and power delivery of the 89-95 class.

The 96 and later RM were built after Rodger Decoster joined team Suzuki and much improved machines.

Ok thanks. I will look for a 96-98 then. Hopefully with a pipe and jetting I can get the engine to have more low end grunt like the old kx engine. I've always been a Kawie fan just want to mix it up a little.

Personally I'd shoot for a '01 or newer.  The aftermarket still supports that generation which would make getting graphics and other parts a lot easier and that would make your project far more enjoyable.  Nothing wrong with the older models, use to have a '90 RM250 that worked great and I have a nice '99 RM250 siting in the barn right now.  Kind of surprising at how good those older bikes really are.

1999 RM250 pictured:

1999 RM250_May 2017a.JPG

• Like 2

Personally I'd shoot for a '01 or newer.  The aftermarket still supports that generation which would make getting graphics and other parts a lot easier and that would make your project far more enjoyable.  Nothing wrong with the older models, use to have a '90 RM250 that worked great and I have a nice '99 RM250 siting in the barn right now.  Kind of surprising at how good those older bikes really are.
1999 RM250 pictured:
5961480875a0d_1999RM250_May2017a.JPG.ce7eea6e5373f640499db7d8cc48db9e.JPG

That's a really clean 99, looks good. I read the article that Dirt Bike did on the RM's and it said best to find an 01 and up but I'm looking for more of a retro 90s bike. The 01 and up bikes are rather expensive around here. Like some are more than what I paid for and have invested in my 08 kx450f. Their is a nice clean 96 RM for $1,000 I found on Craigslist. So I know for that price range I could have a decent bike. I have read that the 93-95 RM's weren't the best but I guess they go off what pro riders think and not the average weekend warrior like myself who doesn't race lol.
  • Like 1

I bought a 98 KX 250 in phenomenal shape for $500. Very lucky find. I have a 2008 ktm 300 and I will say the 250 is not that far off in terms of low end. I would add that back into your potential shopping options if you are not hooked on the Suzuki.

On 7/8/2017 at 9:35 AM, ohiodrz400sm said:

Look for a 96 and newer. The earlier models while decent, have the older case reed engine and single sided subframe. They have hard hitting, big "125 like" engines. The 1995 had the best suspension and power delivery of the 89-95 class.

The 96 and later RM were built after Rodger Decoster joined team Suzuki and much improved machines.

Point of order, Roger Decoster won four or five world championships in motocross riding for Suzuki in the mid 1970s.  He was the guy who lead the development of the RM-370.

• Like 1

IMG_0681_1494778618229_1494780579248.jpg.8b3ba448d095a60747ee06aeada5b13b.jpg

You picked that 98 up for $500? That's a hell of a deal and in that shape also? And yes I'm not sold on Suzuki yet lol. I know the 90s KX's were better than the RM's but most of the late model RM's were supposedly the best bike but I never rode one so I will take the magazines word for it haha.

Point of order, Roger Decoster won four or five world championships in motocross riding for Suzuki in the mid 1970s.  He was the guy who lead the development of the RM-370.

Yes sir.

Team manager for Honda in the 80's early 90's- great bikes.

Back to Suzuki - great bikes.

Team manager for KTM 2011- again, great bikes.

"The Man" is definitely one of the most important characters in the development of MX machines.
  • Like 3

DeCoster joined Suzuki in 95 as the team manager and pushed for the '96 model to get released (it was a lot better than the 93 ~ 95 generation).

http://dirtbikemagazine.com/best-used-bike-value-suzuki-rm250/

He won the 500cc World GP Title 5 times for Suzuki in 1971, '72, '73, '75 & '76.  Can't find the article but he won those championships on 370 and 400 (420 ?) cc machines, 500cc big bore 2 strokes weren't that good back then.

• Like 1