Suzuki LT80 Quad Sport Starting Issue

Hey guys, I'm trying to fix up my neighbor's Suzuki LT 80 Quad Sport and I'm having a starting issue with it. When I try to start it, it initial will turn over fast but will quickly slow way down. I can wait a minute and it will repeat the same results as before. The battery is only 3 months old and shows 12.47 volts while sitting so I think it's okay. When the quad is turning over, it drops to 10.5 volts and picks back up over 12 soon after I stop trying to start it. I thought maybe there was fluid in the cylinder so I pulled the plug and flipped the quad over, but nothing came out. I've even ran a hot wire directly to the starter from the battery, but got the same results. Any suggestions on other things I can check? Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

I think you found your problem, your "new" battery is shot, under load, the fact that the voltage drops to 10.5 during cranking tells you why it slows down. Try a different battery, but not a car battery, too many cca, it shouldn't take much to start it though, replace your vacuum actuated petcock with a banshee petcock, block off the vacuum port on the carb that used to go to the tank, and clean out the pilot jet on the carb, I bet its clogged, an old frayed bicycle brake cable works good to clean the jets.

• Like 1