Skidplates?????

So I managed to mangle the stock skidplate on my 2014 300xc last night. Looking to replace it with an aftermarket one, but I can't decide what route to take. I like the strength offered from aluminum but don't want the vibration noise. And I really like the idea of the moulded plastic but I am unsure of their durability.

Budget is also a factor as there is a newborn expected anyday now:

I should mention the terrain I ride varies from sand right up to very rocky gnarly places.

I've ran the plastic ones on the two bikes I have now and I love them. I did use metal ones for 15 years but now I perfer the plastic ones. I have beat the hell out out of them and they work just as good. 

I don't think you will have any issues with the plastic. 

• Like 2

I live in San Diego area now, from Northern California originally. I'm an A level rider, raced for many years. The harder the trail the more fun I have. 

I've smashed my plastic skid plates on many rocks and no issues. I've hit rocks and things on my 500 EXC at 60 plus MPH in the desert and no problems. I like how the plastic doesn't bend into my frame or motor after I hit something.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ZXTOM said:

I live in San Diego area now, from Northern California originally. I'm an A level rider, raced for many years. The harder the trail the more fun I have. 

I've smashed my plastic skid plates on many rocks and no issues. I've hit rocks and things on my 500 EXC at 60 plus MPH in the desert and no problems. I like how the plastic doesn't bend into my frame or motor after I hit something.

that's funny cause the number one complaint of plastic skid plates in dented/flattened frame rails. meaning they do bend into the frame.

that's funny cause the number one complaint of plastic skid plates in dented/flattened frame rails. meaning they do bend into the frame.

Oh really?, thats funny.........

I have bent my frame with metal and plastic plates on many different bikes, but plastic doesnt bend and stay bent, that was my point. Hitting something at that force to bend your frame, it doesnt matter what you have on your frame.

OP, it doesnt matter what yoy buy, buy what makes yoy happy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, R3250 said:

Take some pics and do a little write-up when you get it. I'm a "W" guy so don't need linkage protection. That looks very nice. I'll be the first to admit, "plastic" has changed. There is some very tough stuff out there.

Oh really?, thats funny.........

I have bent my frame with metal and plastic plates on many different bikes, but plastic doesnt bend and stay bent, that was my point. Hitting something at that force to bend your frame, it doesnt matter what you have on your frame.

OP, it doesnt matter what yoy buy, buy what makes yoy happy

I was quite happy with the stock plastic guard that comes on the bike. I just wrecked the wish bone mount that holds the front of the guard. I'm not overly picky as to one or the other in all honesty. Just want the best protection for the bike I ride around calabogie Ontario. It's basically all rock depending on the trail system you choose lol

Xtreme Skid Plates for KTM by AXP sold at Slavens Racing.  I have used Enduro Engineering as well as TM Designs in the past but this is my next skid plate for my new 2018 300 XC-W

For the XC, look at SXS plastic slide plates. they are very strong and cover the linkage too so it doesn't get beat up. Slides over downed trees too,

Joe

• Like 1

Love my EE. Looks, price, and toughness. Plus, they include some foam tape for your frame rails to eliminate noise/rattling. The foam tape may fall apart after abuse and power-washing, but it's cheap to replace.

My 06 came to me with an E-line. Worked fine, but not even close as far as side protection or looking really sweet...

Here's one.. It's a bit more but you wont be fixing pipes later.. You'll save money overall.. I just got one for my Beta and it's high quality..reasonable price for what you get.. It's high quality and beefy.

http://www.p-tech.ee/KTM-Husaberg-Husqvarna-pipe-skid-plate

PK001-800x800.jpg

PK0014-800x800.jpg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider