Can't decide between two used wr250r's

I am looking at two bikes online. Both of them have full FMF exhausts and fuel programmer. Both come with nice extras like guards, racks, and luggage. Both around 2000km (1200 miles).

One is a 2009 and the other a 2014.

the 2009 comes with brand new un installed tires and i can probably get for about $4500-4800 CAD ($3500-3700 US)

The 2014 has a Britannia Lynx Fairing thing (which is cool, but i wouldnt spend $800 CAD on it). I can probably get that bike for about $5200-5500 CAD ($4000-4200 US)

Essentially, is the 5 years newer worth paying $800 (15%) more for?

No.  Yamaha made like zero changes to that bike over its lifespan.  The extra set of tires is worth having and will save you $300 or so.

• Like 1

unlike the guy above me I would say yes, because Im assuming the new bike will have less hours and be in better shape. if that's not the case buy the bike that's in better shape.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 91kdx25088 said:

unlike the guy above me I would say yes, because Im assuming the new bike will have less hours and be in better shape. if that's not the case buy the bike that's in better shape.

In a perfect world. I live a very remote part of northern ontario. The closer of the two bikes is a 6 hour round trip. The further, newer, bike is about 25 hours. I can have the further bike shipped for around 300, of which i am factoring into price. The closer one i will drive down with cash after agreeing on a price. I'm not going to spend 6 hours to go look at something. It'd have to be pretty bad.

Frankly, the shipping company will be passing the newer/further bike soon so it slowly getting out of the equation. 

Edited by cmattina

Bikes comes with new sprockets and chain too, apparently. Also, i just realized the uninstalled tires are actually pretty good tires. Mitas stone eaters.

912_1499474283540.jpeg

914_1499474289675.jpeg

915_1499474292376.jpeg

916_1499474294443.jpeg

917_1499474296776.jpeg

Edited by cmattina

you mentioned they both have around 2000 k's - that photo shows almost 4000 k's

i would get the newer bike

Just now, S.O.A.N.Z said:

you mentioned they both have around 2000 k's - that photo shows almost 4000 k's

i would get the newer bike

yeah I just realized that too. 

Well see. The newer bike is out of province and the guy is hard getting back to me. The shipper would need to know by tomorrow morning

for those prices spend a bit more and buy a new one. maybe you could find a leftover at a dealership.

Alrighty. Could appreciate some advice on this purchase.

Went and saw the 09. The 2014 is a lost cause.

The guy selling it seems very anal retentive but a little mod crazy. He has a 4 door Tacoma all done up with every accessory you can think of. And does not seem like a bum. He bought it as a first bike rode it until 2013/14 then very little after.

The bike is very clean. Only aesthetic issues are from sitting bit of Rust on chain that rubs off. Seemed to run nice, oil looked good, tires showed it was used.

Comes with a ton of stuff
- wolfman bags, rack, nice  rad/skid guards, nice hand guards, new mitas tires and heavy tubes, lubes, cleaners, bike cover, oil filters, Alpinestar tech10 boots that fit, jacket that fits, all original stuff that was taken off, some tools such as tire spoons and chain scrubber, Fox pants that fit,all original parts. And of course the FMF full exhaust, auto tune, and PCV.

I could use the boots and jacket.

He did a couple things he read about online. Like taping the flap thing for the air box and removing some emissions stuff.

It did sit s bit.. that's probably biggest issue.

2000 - 4000 kms on a WR250 is nothing.  Thing is barely broken in at that mileage.  My X had over 15,000 kms on it when I sold it.  First valve check is not till 25,000 kms.

26 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

2000 - 4000 kms on a WR250 is nothing.  Thing is barely broken in at that mileage.  My X had over 15,000 kms on it when I sold it.  First valve check is not till 25,000 kms.

Yeah, i totally agree. it's not the mileage at all i am thinking about the age in terms of resale and actual value, as well as sitting. like he probably started it once last year. and perhaps a few times the year before

15 hours ago, cmattina said:

Alrighty. Could appreciate some advice on this purchase.

Went and saw the 09. The 2014 is a lost cause.

The guy selling it seems very anal retentive but a little mod crazy. He has a 4 door Tacoma all done up with every accessory you can think of. And does not seem like a bum. He bought it as a first bike rode it until 2013/14 then very little after.

The bike is very clean. Only aesthetic issues are from sitting bit of Rust on chain that rubs off. Seemed to run nice, oil looked good, tires showed it was used.

Comes with a ton of stuff
- wolfman bags, rack, nice  rad/skid guards, nice hand guards, new mitas tires and heavy tubes, lubes, cleaners, bike cover, oil filters, Alpinestar tech10 boots that fit, jacket that fits, all original stuff that was taken off, some tools such as tire spoons and chain scrubber, Fox pants that fit,all original parts. And of course the FMF full exhaust, auto tune, and PCV.

I could use the boots and jacket.

He did a couple things he read about online. Like taping the flap thing for the air box and removing some emissions stuff.

It did sit s bit.. that's probably biggest issue.

lol I bought a dirt bike off a very wealthy person. had a number of fully restored muscle cars in a garage that looked like a nice living room in a very nice large house. bike was a complete POS and blew up a month later. don't put any weight into him having a nice truck.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

lol I bought a dirt bike off a very wealthy person. had a number of fully restored muscle cars in a garage that looked like a nice living room in a very nice large house. bike was a complete POS and blew up a month later. don't put any weight into him having a nice truck.  

Yeah, i hear ya.

and that the thing with the bike, it's not like he's been riding it all the time up until now. I dont think it's been ridden more than a couple miles in the past three years.  Plus, al the tuning could have screwed something up, no? i'm thinking maybe take a look at the plug? He toldme he said it up for efficiency on the highway and more power at low speeds.

because of your username, i gotta ask. there is a guy not far selling a road legal 2002 kdr220r. Im thinking that might be fun for my VERY short (1.5 mile) commute to work, without any light and few houses, and then trails and fire roads on weekends. but the gas mileage seems like a drawback.  of course it would be a ton cheaper than the wr and 50 lbs lighter.

Edited by cmattina

9 hours ago, cmattina said:

Yeah, i hear ya.

and that the thing with the bike, it's not like he's been riding it all the time up until now. I dont think it's been ridden more than a couple miles in the past three years.  Plus, al the tuning could have screwed something up, no? i'm thinking maybe take a look at the plug? He toldme he said it up for efficiency on the highway and more power at low speeds.

because of your username, i gotta ask. there is a guy not far selling a road legal 2002 kdr220r. Im thinking that might be fun for my VERY short (1.5 mile) commute to work, without any light and few houses, and then trails and fire roads on weekends. but the gas mileage seems like a drawback.  of course it would be a ton cheaper than the wr and 50 lbs lighter.

KDXs are very reliable bike with great smooth power that's very easy to ride. the 220 is the least reliable of the 200, 220 and 250. a lot of people also say the 200 has better power than the 220.