Rant - I kind of hate my DRZ right now

I've had my '05 S model for 3 years. It's my first bike in 3 decades. I only ride about 1000 miles a year and half that is the LAB2V ride. I did the 3x3 mod including jets. I did not upgrade the exhaust. I upgraded the springs and coil shock per the Racetech site. I did not change any other suspension components. In spite of those improvements the bike is not as responsive as I would hope. The ride also doesn't feel as smooth or balanced as I would like. On top of that, the clutch is beginning to slip a little and it's been stalling occasionally on slow speed deceleration. I'm too cheap to take it to a mechanic so it's up to me to figure it out. I also don't know what to expect out of this bike in terms of throttle response and "balance". Maybe the carb and suspension just need to be tweaked a little. Anyway, that's my rant.

theMiikuni 36 bsr cv carb on these sucks.... and without a free flowing exhaust, you are restricting it.... what jets are you using?

what are you quantifying as balance?

what bikes are you comparing it to? this is a dirt bike with lights, it wont handle like an R1

• Like 1

Flywheel is too heavy, the BSR36 is slow to open and the forks/shocks lack enough shims to work well over a wide variety of terrain. Just throwing springs at the suspension will never get the bike to feel balanced. You must re-shim.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I bought the JD kit and followed the instructions with the kit and probably referenced Thumpertalk as well. Did it a year ago so can't remember the details. I could probably check what is missing from the kit to figure out what I used. Regarding he balance/ride issue, I don't have anything to really compare it to because it's the only bike I've ridden in recent years. It's difficult to explain my experience of the ride but I rode 50-60 miles of twisty canyon roads yesterday. It just felt like it wanted to fall into the corners a little and didn't feel very planted. Hard to explain. It may that be that adjusting the clickers might help or I may have used the wrong spring rates when I swapped the springs. I don't have really high expectations of this bike but I do think I can get more out of it that I am now.

The planted sounds like damping to me. Playing with the clickers might help. Falling into corners may be rake angle, which you can do slight adjustment on by moving your fork legs in the triple clamps.

• Like 2

The planted sounds like damping to me. Playing with the clickers might help. Falling into corners may be rake angle, which you can do slight adjustment on by moving your fork legs in the triple clamps.

Correctly setting the rear shock sag is also very important
  • Like 4

sm rims and better tires will make a big difference on the street to .. its hard to find tires that arnt squirmy and other weird things for the S rims .. as far as power it is what it is, dont run the idle too low, make sure the clutch cable is adjusted right ... but for me, i dont get technical with the suspension, jump on the pegs it should spring evenly front and rear, turn the damping alittle harder maybe, it may be squishy but ride the hell out of it ...

Edited by cowpie