Am I flooding it while starting?

Cold start

Turn gas on, choke on, decomp lever in, kick thru 5 times with throttle held open. Get to TDC, kick thru. No start. 

Try that a few times. 

Then I turn off gas, choke off, hold decomp lever, throttle open, kick thru 10 ish times, get to TDC and kick. Might have to do this a couple times but then she starts. Turn gas back on and good to go. 

Starts first kick after that  

Any ideas/suggestions?  Sure it's something stupid I'm doing. 

When trying to start it (as opposed to a de-flood procedure), there's no need to hold the throttle open and kick the engine over many times.  It probably doesn't hurt, but isn't really necessary.  Just fuel on, choke on, find TDC, use decomp to turn the engine just past TDC, then reset kicker to the top and kick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TahoeJer said:

Any ideas/suggestions?  Sure it's something stupid I'm doing. 

throttle held open.

I'm not touching the throttle as I'm kicking it. Just holding it open when I do the decomp lever in kick thrus.

Ill try without choke/any throttle. 

Thanks for advice

11 hours ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Just don't hold the throttle open when kicking it over with decomp. That's all you need to change in your process.

I thought the manual states WOT when doing the clearing of cylinder? (I could be wrong) along with killing spark, to avoid a back fire into air filter, causing a fire. Which someone on here has done. I used to never use kill switch because I figured it aint going to start. BUT I DO NOW!

• Like 1

I thought the manual states WOT when doing the clearing of cylinder? (I could be wrong) along with killing spark, to avoid a back fire into air filter, causing a fire. Which someone on here has done. I used to never use kill switch because I figured it aint going to start. BUT I DO NOW!

I'm talking about cold start priming, not clearing a flood.

Choke on, decomp in, 5 slow kicks through with no throttle, find TDC, push it just past, decomp out and one solid kick.

The op was doing the 5 kicks at wot, this is likely flooding the bike.
  • Like 2

This is not related to your starting procedure but what year & model? XR600 have OE choke flap issues.

• Like 1

Just now, bork said:

This is not related to your starting procedure but what year & model? XR600 have OE choke flap issues.

Yep , they crack apart and the motor swallows the debris.

If he's still got a cast aluminum choke plate with the little flapper , eventually it will break.