Thought's on pre-mix oil's and ratio's

need some advice here. its been about 15years since I last owned a smoker. wanted to see what type of oil and pre-mix ratio you guy's are using. this is for an 01 CR250 with stock carb/jetting. thanks....

need some advice here. its been about 15years since I last owned a smoker. wanted to see what type of oil and pre-mix ratio you guy's are using. this is for an 01 CR250 with stock carb/jetting. thanks....

A 250 makes the best power at 1:18. But i think you will be fouling plugs. I would go 25:1 or with a slower riding style 32:1. Choose an ester oil like motul 800.

what are your opinion's on the castor based oil's?

6 minutes ago, semkaldijk said:

A 250 makes the best power at 1:18. But i think you will be fouling plugs. I would go 25:1 or with a slower riding style 32:1. Choose an ester oil like motul 800.

castor based oil's???

this question has been asked hundreds if not thousands of times on this forum. pick an oil and mix it at the ratio the BOTTLE says and jet accordingly. ideally find an oil that's meant to be mixed at a ratio that the bikes manual calls for.

dumb.JPG

Edited by 91kdx25088
  • Like 3

I've been running this stuff my entire life. Mix one small bottle to a 5 gallon jug and it's 50 to 1. Technically the back of the bottle says 53 to 1, but whatever.

To be honest, I don't know why I do it. Guess because my dad did it so growing up that's what we ran. I still run it in my 89 WR250, my kid's 2015 KTM 50sx, and my dad is running it in his 2015 YZ250. We have no issues.

We do a lot of trail riding, screaming up big hills, getting a little too close to comfort on fire roads, etc. I for sure don't change my top ends like I'm supposed to. The attached picture of the cylinder and piston is off my 89 WR. I just changed it to be safe. Damn bike was still running good before I pulled the top end last.

X001.jpgIMG_20151021_203232.jpgIMG_20151021_194553.jpg
  • Like 2

I've been running this stuff my entire life. Mix one small bottle to a 5 gallon jug and it's 50 to 1. Technically the back of the bottle says 53 to 1, but whatever.

To be honest, I don't know why I do it. Guess because my dad did it so growing up that's what we ran. I still run it in my 89 WR250, my kid's 2015 KTM 50sx, and my dad is running it in his 2015 YZ250. We have no issues.

We do a lot of trail riding, screaming up big hills, getting a little too close to comfort on fire roads, etc. I for sure don't change my top ends like I'm supposed to. The attached picture of the cylinder and piston is off my 89 WR. I just changed it to be safe. Damn bike was still running good before I pulled the top end last.
X001.jpg.5c0a0b69919c568ee31f7551e0d45412.jpgIMG_20151021_203232.jpg.00bb2c7c6cef18a4dd8e87967dfd6ebf.jpgIMG_20151021_194553.jpg.4b9c9512f4f5d2a24f22d92e6f5a54a8.jpg

i ran spectro for a while in my 06 125, the bike seemed to fall flat up too very quick whether we were with 50:1 or 32:1 with it, i now run amsoil dominator at 50:1, the bike loves it, no smoke or spooge, top ends look super clean. i also noticed spectro gummed up the power valves a little too much

i ran spectro for a while in my 06 125, the bike seemed to fall flat up too very quick whether we were with 50:1 or 32:1 with it, i now run amsoil dominator at 50:1, the bike loves it, no smoke or spooge, top ends look super clean. i also noticed spectro gummed up the power valves a little too much

See, the gummed up power valve I can relate to....but I just figure that's life with a 2-stroke. I've never experimented with other oils.

11 hours ago, Animatrix86 said:

X001.jpgIMG_20151021_203232.jpgIMG_20151021_194553.jpg

Golden Spectro is excellent oil.....It has been around forever....

Not a lot of people seem to know about it, since it has mostly became an online purchase product.

We first started using it in the early 80's, does not foul plugs or load up and burns clean..

NEVER had an engine failure with it EVER..!

Should mix it @ the manufactures speced ratio for your machine/ 32:1 for modern 125's for MX use. They sell it for less in 1 gallon jugs..

Any "Gum" build up you see is more likely the detergent quality that is in the Fuel brand you get though....and ALWAY use Ethanol Free fuel..

This is the PDF from GOLDEN SPECTRO the orginal formula for those who don't know about it............

http://spectro-oils.com/wp-content/techsheets/GSMC.pdf

Edited by Smokin CR 125R
  • Like 1

Not a lot of people seem to know about it, since it has mostly became an online purchase product.
We first started using it in the early 80's, does not foul plugs or load up and burns clean..
Should mix it @ the manufactures speced ratio for your machine/ 32:1 for modern 125's for MX use. They sell it for less in 1 gallon jugs..
Any "Gum" build up you see is more likely the detergent quality that is in the Fuel brand you get though....and ALWAY use Ethanol Free fuel..

I don't spring for race gas, but nothing less than 91 goes in my bikes. I usually go with Shell, Chevron, or 76....I'm kinda weird about Arco gas for some reason, although I won't hesitate to fill my truck up with the cheapest 87 I can find!
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Animatrix86 said:

I don't spring for race gas, but nothing less than 91 goes in my bikes. I usually go with Shell, Chevron, or 76....I'm kinda weird about Arco gas for some reason, although I won't hesitate to fill my truck up with the cheapest 87 I can find!

CHEVRON with the TECHRON detergent additive is the best pump fuel out there............

37 minutes ago, Smokin CR 125R said:

This is the PDF from GOLDEN SPECTRO the orginal formula for those who don't know about it............

http://spectro-oils.com/wp-content/techsheets/GSMC.pdf

And your crank will never rust as it will/may with many synthetics.

• Like 1

I have an '01 CR250 as well and run the Lucas Semi-synthetic at 32:1 with a properly jetted Keihin Airstriker. I have not changed the plug since my last top end which was 2 years ago. Bike does not spooge, and runs excellent.

My only experience with the Castor oil was that it carboned up my power valve linkage, and fouled a spark plug within 3 hours of riding it. It was my first, only, and final, attempt to use it.

• Like 1

I have an '01 CR250 as well and run the Lucas Semi-synthetic at 32:1 with a properly jetted Keihin Airstriker. I have not changed the plug since my last top end which was 2 years ago. Bike does not spooge, and runs excellent.
My only experience with the Castor oil was that it carboned up my power valve linkage, and fouled a spark plug within 3 hours of riding it. It was my first, only, and final, attempt to use it.

I use that PW airstriker with a JD jet kit too. Works great!

Funny you had that experience with Caster Oil. I ran that at 32:1 in a SX 85 that I rebuilt and it ran amazing.

I have tried all kinds of products over the past 35 years and about 10 years ago I found a local farm supply store sold Amsoil Dominator in 1 gal containers a lot cheaper than the Bel-Ray I was buying at the motorcycle dealer. I used it in my son's 65 and my 250 and the wear at rebuild time was non existent. The power valve on my bike was easy to clean and there was very little spooge coming out of the exhaust. I've tried more expensive oil, Maxima in particular, and I find it doesn't burn as cleanly as the Amsoil. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dklassen said:

I have tried all kinds of products over the past 35 years and about 10 years ago I found a local farm supply store sold Amsoil Dominator in 1 gal containers a lot cheaper than the Bel-Ray I was buying at the motorcycle dealer. I used it in my son's 65 and my 250 and the wear at rebuild time was non existent. The power valve on my bike was easy to clean and there was very little spooge coming out of the exhaust. I've tried more expensive oil, Maxima in particular, and I find it doesn't burn as cleanly as the Amsoil. 

What ratio are you running? 

9 hours ago, Dklassen said:

Amsoil is good oil and I would run it as well if I could get it as cheap or cheaper than the Lucas.  You can get a gallon of lucas for $25 through summitracing.com as long as you buy other parts to get free shipping.